: Software upgrades

stevec5375
11-23-10, 06:30 PM
I am a software developer professionally. I have worked at a lot of different companies over the years. The one thing they ALL had in common was whenever a customer complained of issues with a product, we ALWAYS upgraded them to the latest version so that they would get all fixes we had made, thus, alleviating the potential that they would hit another KNOWN problem that we had already resolved.

I have seen that this is not the case with Cadillac with regard to the SRX, at least, since this is the first one I have ever owned. My dealership will not do a complete software update. They want you to cite a known issue before they will update the software and then they only update the offending module and not the entire car.

I would like someone to apply some logic to this approach. Why would they not want to head off any upcoming issues before they happen if they already know about it and have a fix in hand?

I know that it is impossible for them to recall all the vehicles every time they have a new fix available but if the car is in for an oil change or some other maintenance one would think this would be a great time to update the car to the latest version.

I find all of the issues reported on here related to software troubling given that many of them could be avoided if Cadillac would adopted a different strategy regarding software updates. They must have their reasons. Can anyone add any ENLIGHTENED, INTELLIGENT, AND INFORMED ideas to this discussion?

markeetaux
11-28-10, 11:43 PM
How come you worked at so many companies?

Ponyman
11-29-10, 09:04 AM
I could give you an answer.

zinner
12-07-10, 11:41 PM
If it aint broke don't fix it attitude. You can put your vin into calid.gm.com and see what updates there have been, if you have a software program like HP tuners you can see what ECM/BCM code you have.

Oh and everything you get done at the dealer is payed per the job/hourly so they have no intensive to check your computer out during an oil change. They should check the vin for recalls though.

Ponyman
12-08-10, 09:12 AM
My dealer always checks for recalls. More money for them if one shows up on a vehicle, and they get to do it.

Marc NY
12-10-10, 11:56 AM
I am a software developer professionally. I have worked at a lot of different companies over the years. The one thing they ALL had in common was whenever a customer complained of issues with a product, we ALWAYS upgraded them to the latest version so that they would get all fixes we had made, thus, alleviating the potential that they would hit another KNOWN problem that we had already resolved.

I have seen that this is not the case with Cadillac with regard to the SRX, at least, since this is the first one I have ever owned. My dealership will not do a complete software update. They want you to cite a known issue before they will update the software and then they only update the offending module and not the entire car.

I would like someone to apply some logic to this approach. Why would they not want to head off any upcoming issues before they happen if they already know about it and have a fix in hand?

I know that it is impossible for them to recall all the vehicles every time they have a new fix available but if the car is in for an oil change or some other maintenance one would think this would be a great time to update the car to the latest version.

I find all of the issues reported on here related to software troubling given that many of them could be avoided if Cadillac would adopted a different strategy regarding software updates. They must have their reasons. Can anyone add any ENLIGHTENED, INTELLIGENT, AND INFORMED ideas to this discussion?I can't say why they will not check for all software upgrades for every vehicle but what you should do is provide them with a reason in the first place. Sites like this gives owners some great insight on how to look for problems or issues that others are experiencing. I for one will go back and ask for a software update or recalibration.

Below is one reason why I will do that.

New for 2011

Standard Cadillac Premium Care Maintenance; covering scheduled oil changes, tire rotations, replacement of engine and cabin air filters and a multi-point vehicle inspection for four years or 50,000 miles
Rear-vision camera standard across the collections (image projected in rearview mirror)
Full keyless access standard on luxury and performance models
Two exterior colors: Black Ice Metallic and Mocha Steel Metallic
*Powertrain calibration enhancements to improve acceleration feel on 3.0L models
Cargo fence for U-rail system standard on all trim levels

I saw this on a GM Cadillac website from work. I will be asking the dealer to preform or update my Powertrain calibration for my 3.0 L 2010 SRX.

This should give you at lease one good reason to ask for the latest software updates ... I am sure their are few more to choose from.

Smokin' SRX
12-11-10, 10:52 AM
I can't say why they will not check for all software upgrades for every vehicle but what you should do is provide them with a reason in the first place. Sites like this gives owners some great insight on how to look for problems or issues that others are experiencing. I for one will go back and ask for a software update or recalibration.

Below is one reason why I will do that.

New for 2011

Standard Cadillac Premium Care Maintenance; covering scheduled oil changes, tire rotations, replacement of engine and cabin air filters and a multi-point vehicle inspection for four years or 50,000 miles
Rear-vision camera standard across the collections (image projected in rearview mirror)
Full keyless access standard on luxury and performance models
Two exterior colors: Black Ice Metallic and Mocha Steel Metallic
*Powertrain calibration enhancements to improve acceleration feel on 3.0L models
Cargo fence for U-rail system standard on all trim levels

I saw this on a GM Cadillac website from work. I will be asking the dealer to preform or update my Powertrain calibration for my 3.0 L 2010 SRX.

This should give you at lease one good reason to ask for the latest software updates ... I am sure their are few more to choose from.

Excell point! I want that upgrade! They are a business and will not freely upgrade every single non-essential issue of software enhancement w/o asking/demanding it. Time is money. I know, you could argue both ways......customer satisfaction etc, but that's my guess................

Have never been 100% satisfied with thesmoothness of the power delivery. It can feel as bit jerky at times. But the power is there. So I will request the enhancement if available.

farinacci
12-15-10, 05:35 PM
Where did you see that 2011 has a performance update for the 3.0? Ian at my dealer now and no one has heard that, service or sales.

sube5186
12-15-10, 06:58 PM
Where did you see that 2011 has a performance update for the 3.0? I am at my dealer now and no one has heard that, service or sales.

Why does that not surprise me. I started the below thread almost 2 weeks ago. The link is in that thread and below. Maybe we should move this topic back to the original thread so as not to be redundant.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/216615-2011-srx-powertrain-calibration-enhancements.html

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/vehi..._cadillac.html

Sube

jcapps
12-16-10, 11:51 PM
Is there anyway for them to save your settings when updating the software? This is the third time my srx has had to have updates and each time I get it back, all my settings are lost. Not just preset stations but seating preferences also.

You would think that Cadillac would be able to update the software without losing all your preferences. Once or twice was an incomvenience but the third time is annoying

farinacci
12-18-10, 11:05 AM
The dealer said that our 2010 SRX has the newest and greatest version and there are no updates for it. So I am still not sure about that article that is posted a couple posts above. I showed the dealer that article and he said he is going to look into it. But according to him and everyone else there, there is no such update for the 2011's.

sube5186
12-18-10, 11:49 AM
The dealer said that our 2010 SRX has the newest and greatest version and there are no updates for it. So I am still not sure about that article that is posted a couple posts above. I showed the dealer that article and he said he is going to look into it. But according to him and everyone else there, there is no such update for the 2011's.

That article is from a GM website. So you're not sure GM knows what they're talking about with their own vehicles? This is not an update for the 2011 model. It's a different calibration straight from the factory. Because your dealer doesn't now about, doesn't count for a whole lot. They are kept out of the loop with a lot of different issues concerning this vehicle (and probably the rest as well). I can't even blame them. For some reason GM doesn't feel the need to inform dealers about what they're doing to these cars. They seem to give them the bare minimum. I had an update done and there was another update bundled along with it. It changed the functionality of the car and the dealer had absolutely no clue it was even included. I discovered it and had to inform them. So don't put a lot of credence in what they're telling you. It's been my experience that in their minds if the info isn't sent directly to their computer terminal, then it doesn't exist.

Sube

Willo
12-18-10, 05:55 PM
I had the (2010) SRX in for an oil change yesterday and asked the service manager about the referenced "upgrade." Basically, when you bring your car in, the dealer types in your VIN code and sees what kind of upgrades are needed for your car. Mine were all up to date and then I spoke about the "performace" upgrade this thread is discussing. I was told that Cadillac does not offer this upgrade for the 2010 model I have (built in Nov 2009), but it could apply to "some" of the models built previous to my build date.

While waiting, I asked if I could take a 2011 for a spin to see if there is a difference in "performance." There was none. It handled, shifted, sounded, etc exactly like mine.

I am not saying there is not an upgrade for your car, but, as the service manager (well qualified) explained to me, many times these upgrades, if not meant for your vehicle, can affect performance to the negative. In other words, if the VIN-identified data on your car says nothing is needed, leave well enough alone. Like any piece of complex machinery, it's operation is contingent on many factors working together and in an effort to get the "newest, latest, and greatest," you just may "screw up" the works.

Think about this...how many times have you applied an upgrade to a piece of software on your computer and finding out it did nothing to improve it,
you had to uninstall it to return the software to it's original operative state?

My advice before you over-angst yourself is to rely on what the VIN identified "sheet" on your car advises, rather than press for something it doesn't. A problem could occur in the future if something out of norm is done and you could be left holding the bag for a system reprogram and a service advisor telling you, "I told you so!"

Marc NY
12-20-10, 10:29 PM
As Willo stated above the Dealers don't always find out or know what new changes, updates or re-calibrations that are done at the factory unless it is to be performed at the Dealership. The factory can and will make updates periodically through out any given MY (Model Year) but usually when it comes to a major change they will wait until the new MY break point.

I was at the dealer today and had the SRX Power Steering Campaign completed it took around an hour to do that. While I was there I asked about the latest seat-belt campaign and they were not aware of any new campaigns out there at this time. I also asked about the 2011 Powertrain 3.0 L calibration enhancements for the 2011 MY and they couldn't find anything for my 2010 VIN#.

I work for GM Powertrain and I am well aware of small changes that can be made throughout any given MY year and those changes are usually based on specific build dates/ VIN# breaks. I would tend to believe that the 2011 Powertrain enhancements were made to improve either durability or performance feel. Again when there is going to be a significant modification or powertrain change GM will usually find an easy break point, IE at the beginning of a new MY time frame for an example... unless it is a warranty concern then it will be made ASAP!