: What do you figure happened to these rims?

mharker
11-23-10, 04:40 PM
I am replacing my Roadmaster DD with a Lincoln Town Car. Finally found the right one - 06 Signature Limited, low miles, at a Toyota dealer.

It's not nearby so I had the local Ford dealer do a pre-purchase inspection. Car checks out but the service manager sent me these pics. What do you figure?? Rest of the car looks good and paint looks original. He says all 4 rims are like this.

Anyway I'm going to try and re-negotiate their price. Ford dealer says $475 each for new rims, which is insane. I found a place online called originalwheels.com which has them for $195, though I haven't called to see if they are NOS, copies, or refurbs. Could also get them refinished.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/mharker/06TC005.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/mharker/06TC006.jpg

eyekandyboats.inc
11-23-10, 04:53 PM
clear coat flaking off

Stingroo
11-23-10, 04:56 PM
Yep. Definitely looks like they need to be stripped and polished.

greencadillacmatt
11-23-10, 05:02 PM
Yep. Definitely looks like they need to be stripped and polished.

Again, the nausea seat in the wagon is vinyl for a reason.

mharker
11-23-10, 05:02 PM
Is that a cheap or easy fix? Or is it just as well to get new rims??

The service manager said he could "feel the scratches" or something like that.

It was a Texas car but only 41,000 miles on a 2006. Does this happen in hot weather?

Submariner409
11-23-10, 05:10 PM
Is that a cheap or easy fix? Or is it just as well to get new rims?? The service manager said he could "feel the scratches" or something like that.It was a Texas car but only 41,000 miles on a 2006. Does this happen in hot weather?

Go to Google and type in "mobile wheel repair". They're an expanding chain of businesses which do exactly that - rebuild aluminum wheels. I am personally acquainted with their Ford truck wheel work - curb damage - and it's perfect and inexpensive.

ben.gators
11-23-10, 05:20 PM
Hum, seems like the car was driven near to some bushes or like that and they scratch the rims so badly. Take a look to craigslist to find some good deals for rim repair.

Stingroo
11-23-10, 05:23 PM
Yeah, the Mazda dealership my dad worked at used one of those mobile wheel repair guys whenever they got a car in that had crappy looking ones. Customers were THRILLED with the results (while we laughed at the markup they paid...).

Playdrv4me
11-23-10, 05:35 PM
Those mobile wheel repair trucks are awesome. I would definitely pay for that over some untested repop copy wheel.

The damage to those wheels could be from using drive-through car washes with wheel rails that are too thin. It is unusual in that all 4 wheels are in identical condition.

ga_etc
11-23-10, 06:24 PM
Looks like some major curb rash to me. He said he could "feel" the scratches, so I would ask him if it looks like they are into the wheel or just skint. If it's into the metal it may be harder to have them reconditioned.

creeker
11-23-10, 06:39 PM
Could it be years of going through a car wash, wheel cleaner brush ?.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
11-23-10, 07:31 PM
i work for a lincoln mercruy bodyshop although we fix any type of car, but damn near every towncar has rims like that, very common

ben.gators
11-23-10, 08:03 PM
i work for a lincoln mercruy bodyshop although we fix any type of car, but damn near every towncar has rims like that, very common

What is the reason?

mharker
11-23-10, 09:02 PM
Updates...

1. Ford service advisor who inspected car for me confirms that the grooves and scratches are only in the clear coat of the wheel.

2. Toyota dealer (seller) says they have a wheel refinishing guy who can fix it.

Thoughts? We're still puzzled how it happened. There is a distinct rotational pattern on each wheel. It couldn't have been just simple flaking of the clearcoat. And there's no damage or repainting on the rest of the car.

ga_etc
11-23-10, 09:19 PM
They must have tried to squeeze through somewhere is all I can think of. A car wash with tight guide rails or something.

mharker
11-23-10, 09:43 PM
Buddy suggested someone being too overzealous getting brake dust off the rims. Credible??

orconn
11-23-10, 11:20 PM
My wife had a Pontiac Firebird that suffered the same type of damage to all four wheel after going to the car wash when the car was a week old. The reason for the damage on those particular wheels was improperly cured paint on the wheels, a factory defect that was taken care under warranty by the dealer.

julian_s0321
11-24-10, 01:00 AM
Someone could have dragged the tires on rough surfaces like concrete roads. What matters is that the car's body itself was not mistreated. I suggest you check if any part of the car's body has been repainted with electronic devices.

mharker
11-24-10, 12:55 PM
Everyone thanks for your replies. I wanted to follow up. I told the dealer I'd take the car if they fixed the wheels, along with some very minor body damage on the car, subject to my inspection of detailed photos. Alternatively, I said I'd take it as-is for $1500 less and save them the trouble.

They quickly responded no, with the old "good luck in your search for the perfect use car" line. But I held back and did not reply: "good luck finding someone who will pay full asking with those damaged rims!"

Gee I sure hope I can find another Town Car for sale somewhere within 500 miles of my place.

ga_etc
11-24-10, 02:00 PM
Something I have been wondering and forgot to ask; What condition is the RM in that makes you want to replace it?

ben.gators
11-24-10, 02:01 PM
Everyone thanks for your replies. I wanted to follow up. I told the dealer I'd take the car if they fixed the wheels, along with some very minor body damage on the car, subject to my inspection of detailed photos. Alternatively, I said I'd take it as-is for $1500 less and save them the trouble.

They quickly responded no, with the old "good luck in your search for the perfect use car" line. But I held back and did not reply: "good luck finding someone who will pay full asking with those damaged rims!"

Gee I sure hope I can find another Town Car for sale somewhere within 500 miles of my place.

It was a good answer from you! :D And for finding the good car for the right amount of money just be patient and keep checking the listings.....

mharker
11-24-10, 08:36 PM
Something I have been wondering and forgot to ask; What condition is the RM in that makes you want to replace it?

My Roadmaster is actually pretty decent. It is about a 100,000 mile car and almost 100% rust free. I've had it six years and just a few years ago it was actually good enough to be photographed for a feature article in a collector car magazine (future collectible... that type of article)

I guess half the reason for replacing is it is becoming a little less reliable, to the point my wife doesn't want to use it for fear of starting problems etc. The other half is that it's looking a little tired (some peeling trim, stuff like that) and being a car guy, I'm always excited for something new!

It's been a good car but I have about 4 things that are probably about to go in the short term and I don't want to invest in it. This Town Car shopping has been fun but also frustrating - I've had 3 near-miss deals over stupid things.

I have half a mind to just invest $1500 in my Roadmaster and give her another winter. Thanks for asking ga_etc nice to find a fellow RM appreciater!

Stingroo
11-24-10, 09:12 PM
There are a few of us :thumbsup:

EChas3
11-24-10, 11:06 PM
My '93 Roadmaster Limited went 225,000 with little trouble. Except for the common trouble with rubber trim strips, It still looked good inside and out in 2005.