: Need Help PLEASE HELP!!! Oil dipstick problem

LKBARRON
11-23-10, 04:12 PM
Hello I have a 88 Cadillac DeVille and i was told the engines a 4.1 4.5L V8 and the engine dipstick is missing. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a new dipstick for the Cadillac online besides Ebay because I had no luck finding one, Plus junkyards have none as well....I bought an adjustable dipstick thats made to "fit" all cars and trucks. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE LENGTH OF THE DIPSTICK AT ALL?!?!?!?!?

00 Deville
11-23-10, 04:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a new dipstick for the Cadillac online besides Ebay because I had no luck finding one
Try Ebay...:thepan:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Cadillac-4-5-V8-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-OEM-7777-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b4cdb93eQQitemZ14047 2334654QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Submariner409
11-23-10, 05:48 PM
If no joy with a new/used dipstick, keep your generic model: Drain the oil and remove the filter. Prefill the new filter, screw it on and pour in the recommended amount of oil (owner's manual) minus one quart. Mark the dipstick with a file - that's your LOW mark. Pour in the remaining quart of oil. Mark the dipstick again - that's your FULL mark.

So - if the manual says "5 quarts with filter", fill the filter, pour in the remainder of the 4 quarts. mark the dipstick. Pour in the last quart, allow it to settle, mark the stick again.

Ranger
11-23-10, 11:23 PM
I thought I answered this once before. :hmm:

LKBARRON
11-25-10, 01:48 AM
Oh wow, I couldn't find that one when I was on Ebay...WTF?!
So I take it that there's no answer for the length measurement?

LKBARRON
11-25-10, 01:49 AM
Thank you for everyone's time to read and answer

Ranger
11-25-10, 12:48 PM
Oh wow, I couldn't find that one when I was on Ebay...WTF?!
So I take it that there's no answer for the length measurement?
I'm sure there is. You just need to find someone with a 4.1 that can measure it for you. I'll move this to the 4.1/4.5/4.9 forum. Maybe you'll have better luck there.

LKBARRON
11-25-10, 09:50 PM
Thank you Ranger, I'll start hunting in that forum for my answer.

HUF
11-25-10, 10:55 PM
If no joy with a new/used dipstick, keep your generic model: Drain the oil and remove the filter. Prefill the new filter, screw it on and pour in the recommended amount of oil (owner's manual) minus one quart. Mark the dipstick with a file - that's your LOW mark. Pour in the remaining quart of oil. Mark the dipstick again - that's your FULL mark.

So - if the manual says "5 quarts with filter", fill the filter, pour in the remainder of the 4 quarts. mark the dipstick. Pour in the last quart, allow it to settle, mark the stick again.
I did not know the difference between LOW and FULL is one quart. Thank you for the information!

drewsdeville
11-26-10, 12:09 AM
Er...doesn't it say right on the dipstick "ADD ONE QUART ------>|XXXXXX|", or something like that?

LKBARRON
11-26-10, 01:42 PM
Haha now i know the actual meaning of those XXXXX on the dipstick...but still gotta double check my belts tho...brb

HUF
12-03-10, 07:49 PM
Nope. Just ADD.