: Heater Core

renegaderob18
11-23-10, 02:20 PM
I flushed the heater core twice on my 1994 fleetwood brougham twice, because I barely had and it coming out and what did only got luke warm. I flushed both lines on two seperate day The second day I flushed it was about 3 or 4 days after the first in which days I used the heater. Once flushing it the heat come out full blast and hot as heck, so flushing it worked. My question is now is why am I still smelling antifreeze for the first minute or two after starting the car rather the heater being on or off? I bought the car about 2 months ago or so and have smelt antifreeze since then and it still happens. The radiator has still been full and there is no leaking on the inside floor or under the car and like I said when I smell antifreeze it is only for a few seconds up to a few minutes rather the heater being on or off and always when I first start it. Any help I would appreciate it.

csbuckn
11-23-10, 02:31 PM
A slow drip on the exhaust when parked? It would burn off as the exhaust got hot.

outsider
11-23-10, 02:35 PM
yeah you might want to check the lines you disconnected to flush the core. they could be leaking when the coolant gets cold and the rubber shrinks down.

renegaderob18
11-23-10, 03:41 PM
the lines are all on tight. I pulled at them and also looked for anything wet while running and after shut off but it was dry and like I said the smell was there before I flushed it twice.

jayoldschool
11-23-10, 07:33 PM
Do you smell antifreeze INSIDE the car or just under the hood.

renegaderob18
11-23-10, 11:45 PM
so far it's just been inside the car but like i said theres no dripping or puddles on the inside of the car

jayoldschool
11-24-10, 06:17 PM
If you smell it inside, you have a leaking heater core. It usually doesn't leak inside because the coolant will leak out through the drip elbow on the firewall.

renegaderob18
11-25-10, 09:04 PM
Do you think putting in some alumiseal will help hold it through a Texas winter or anything else to seal it? I just can't change it now as I am in a sling and will be having shoulder surgery soon that will shelve me through the winter and a garage wants around 500 or so to change it.

jayoldschool
11-25-10, 10:01 PM
Don't bother putting anything to seal it. It will just clog up the core.

Keep topping up the coolant, and maybe it will make it until spring. When my core started leaking on my SS, it took awhile for it to go. And it went, big time. There was coolant POURING out of the drip elbow like a faucet on full. If that happens, loop your coolant lines and bypass the heater core to get home. Hint: keep three feet of heater hose and a couple of clamps in your trunk from now on.

renegaderob18
11-27-10, 10:01 PM
It's been 3 weeks since I have flushed the heater core and I have not had to fill the radiator up since then. Is that a good sign?

Also is there step by step procedures someone can give me for removing the heater core so I can try to have a friend do it since I have upcoming shoulder surgery?