: New tools. (No, not you guys)

thebigjimsho
11-22-10, 10:00 PM
I'll be honest, until I got my new place I rarely had a place to store my own tools, hence I never really had many of my own. Just very basic stuff. I've never been very far from my father and he's got every tool imaginable and a warm, oversized 2 car garage so I did all my work there.

Now that I've got a place of my own, I'll be getting my own. And I'm surprised I hadn't started yet. What's your weapons of choice? Personally, I was planning on getting Kobalt or Craftsman since they'd be easy enough to replace whenever I needed to and the quality should be good enough for what I need.

But I'd love your opinions. On different types of tools? Tool boxes? Pneumatic tools?

JOEYCTS-V
11-22-10, 10:30 PM
Most of my tools are Craftsman. Although they are not the best, they're guaranteed for life and for what I use them for they do just fine. Now is the best time to shop for tools/boxes. Last year at this time Sear's had some sick deals that I jumped on. I got a nice toolbox set for my new house so keep your eyes open. Their good sales end by 11am I think. Good luck and enjoy your new tools.

Jesda
11-22-10, 11:10 PM
I'm hoping Sears does some after-thanksgiving deals on Craftsman tools. They're priced and made nicely for a home DIYer or home mechanic.

I don't own anything interesting, but I depend heavily on my Craftsman 3/8 socket wrench. The easy release button and small ratcheting increments make a world of difference in tight spaces. I'm still using my dad's red steel toolbox that he bought in the early 1980s. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a small tool cart.

RightTurn
11-22-10, 11:30 PM
Ok I'm staying outta this. :coffee:

gary88
11-22-10, 11:33 PM
Aren't new Craftsman tools made in China now?

If I were buying new I'd get Snap-on.

EcSTSatic
11-23-10, 07:37 PM
Craftsman are fine. Snap-on are pretty to look at but overpriced. I've broken Snap-on tools and they are hard to replace. Stay away from Harbor Freight for everyday tools.

Get a good floor jack and some hefty stands, these are not light cars. I have never owned a crawler, I just use old carpeting. I have a self-reel shop light above the engine area. You'll want a compressor someday. Get one rated for the types of tools you use. An orbital sander takes a lot of air. I also have my airhose on a reel.

drewsdeville
11-23-10, 07:44 PM
+1 on most Craftsman comments. I have all Craftsman as I like to keep my toolboxes organized and uniform. But as mentioned, they are far from the best. I've exchanged countless screwdrivers for stripped/rounded or broken tips, 1/2 socket wrench, numerous sockets, and others. However, they are one of the cheapest brands that offer a full lifetime warranty and offer just about everything you need.

For power tools, I'm a Milwaukee-brand loyalist.

Snap-On is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Along side that Craftsman screwdriver set I have a Snap-on set I got at a ridiculous discount. The hardened tips of the Snap-on look like brand new to this day, and see the same usage the Craftsman do.

gdwriter
11-23-10, 09:51 PM
Ok I'm staying outta this. :coffee::histeric: Not even some hilarious (to us anyway) horror stories?

I think my Dad still has Craftsman tools that are 30-40 years old, and like others have said, they're easy to replace.

I also second the recommendation for a good floor jack and jack stands.

I've found my power drill to be highly versatile. I used it with the 3M headlight kit to clean up and polish the wrecking yard headlight I had to buy when my original headlight adjusting mechanisms broke. And when I dismantled the shed in my backyard, I was grateful that my ex used screws instead of nails, because it was zip-zip-zip, and they were out. About the only thing I've used it for as a drill was remounting the flagpole over my garage.

dkozloski
11-23-10, 10:13 PM
With the employment situation the way it is I'd be cruising the pawn shops and used tool places for some incredible bargains.

Stingroo
11-23-10, 10:19 PM
My dad has a set of Craftsman wrenches that have my GREAT GREAT grandfather's name on them. No joke.

iowasevillests
11-23-10, 10:52 PM
For what you're doing I'd probably stick to Craftsman then as you decide what you're using a lot of and want to upgrade you can go to Snap-On, Mac, Matco etc. I say go with Craftsman for several reasons, 1st they're decently priced especially if you catch a sale like upcoming on Black Friday(they will have some tools on sale based on the leaked ads available online). The replacement process is also extremely easy, basically no questions asked and there are tons of locations to replace tools at. Snap-On and the other professional brands are expensive but generally very nice, however justifying it for the average DIY can be hard. I'd probably consider myself a heavy use DIY'er and grew up around a toolbox with a variety of Snap-On, Mac, Matco and Craftsman and for some jobs you just can't beat the high end stuff....but for a large amount of the work the Craftsman will perform the job for 1/3 the price. I will pay the premium and upgrade the tools that I frequently use(ratchets, combo wrenches, screwdrivers) to what ever brand I feel offers the best performance, and most everything else will stay Craftsman unless I see a great deal on one of the higher end brands that I feel is a good value. Now on hand tools where a certain brand has become the generic term(Channel-Lock, Crescent Wrench, Vise Grips(older are better, new are made in China)) I would stick with that brand.

As previously mentioned Snap-On can be hard to get replaced if you didn't buy them off the local truck as they're not really a fan of some random person they've never sold anything to wanting to get tools replaced that they probably bought off an online auction.

To my knowledge the majority of the Craftsman branded tools are made by Danaher Corporation, who makes a majority of the common hand tools for a large number of the manufacturers.

Far as toolbox I'd go with something with ball bearing slides and a lock, from there it'll be up to you and how much room do you have to devote to it. If you have the room I'd watch Craigslist and sales for a 40" rolling base cabinet, then when you run out of room add on a top box. If you don't have that big of a footprint you can start with one of the narrower bottom base cabinets then put an intermediate and top box on as needed. Far as brands if you're not rolling it all over the place they'll probably perform comparably. Waterloo makes many of the boxes for other brands as well as their own line, this one will probably be based more on what you can find for sales/local buys.

Ranger
11-23-10, 11:37 PM
Still have my first 1/2" socket set by Indestro. Must have bought it when I was 17. My other tools run the gamut from Harbor Freight to Craftsman, Mac, Snap-on and others I can't remember or don't know.

julian_s0321
11-24-10, 12:51 AM
I recommend Cornwell and Husky. Craftman tools are made in China.

EcSTSatic
11-24-10, 09:19 AM
From Wikipedia:
"Craftsman tools came under fire in 2004 in a lawsuit accusing Sears of false advertising and consumer fraud for questionable use of the "Made in USA" slogan.
While most Craftsman hand tools are manufactured in the U.S., many power tools and accessories are manufactured overseas, sometimes with the final assembly taking place in the U.S"

eHow:
Where Are Craftsman Tools Made? (http://www.ehow.com/about_5549766_craftsman-tools-made.html)

creeker
11-24-10, 02:35 PM
Aren't new Craftsman tools made in China now?

If I were buying new I'd get Snap-on.

I dont know for a fact, but snap-on might be made in china too.

creeker
11-24-10, 02:38 PM
You will probably be needing wood working tools too, one of the most
useful tools I bought was a 10" miter saw, a small table saw also.

dkozloski
11-24-10, 03:07 PM
I have never heard of anyone having trouble getting a broken or malfunctioning Snap-On tool replaced over the last fifty-five years. It's a simple matter to contact a route driver by calling the number in the yellow pages and arranging a meet to get a tool replaced. Go to any dealership and ask the mechanics when the truck usually comes around. It's no skin off the driver's ass one way or another because he is reimbursed by the distributor.

Ranger
11-24-10, 03:07 PM
I dont know for a fact, but snap-on might be made in china too.

What isn't? Is anything made in America anymore? And we wonder why unemployment is so high. :bigroll:

dkozloski
11-24-10, 03:25 PM
If it were made in the USA it would cost twice as much and nothing says it would be any better. If American industry was protected by tarrifs once again the stuff would cost twice as much but it would still be made overseas. American workers have priced themselves out of a job. It's a fact of life.

For the longest time, American worker productivity made enough difference that manufacturers could survive. Now that foreign industry is as modern as ours and foreign workers will work for less we are SOL. America has turned into a nation of $40,000/year wage slaves paying bloated benefits for parasitic government workers ranging from city to federal levels. When the defined benefit Ponzi scheme plans collapse we'll all be peons working for peanuts and picking sh!t with the sparrows. America needs a new business plan.

creeker
11-24-10, 08:59 PM
What isn't? Is anything made in America anymore? And we wonder why unemployment is so high. :bigroll:

My point exactly, not trying to knock anybody , but in order to compete, even the mom and apple pie outfits that we have held near and dear for years
are looking to cut costs, go east manafacturers.

donwon
11-27-10, 02:23 PM
Where can I get SK Wayne tools replaced?
I bought some in 71 and now can't find anyone that handles them.

Stingroo
11-27-10, 02:25 PM
http://www.skhandtool.com/warranty.html

MauiV
11-27-10, 02:47 PM

Thats cause the American workers want $45/hr to make their widgets and then want to go to WalMart and buy that widget for $2.99

It dont work that way.

Caddyshack100
11-27-10, 08:01 PM
Most Snap-On is still Made in the US but their 'Foreign' Line is called Bluepoint. Sears for years here in Canada have made Craftsman exclusively in China, absoutely nothing was sold here that was made in the US. As far as buying tools, start off buying the basics, Wrenches, Screwdrivers, Sockets, all three common sizes, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. You could probably stay away from the SAE sizes for now as nearly all car parts are SI metric now. Get a good toolbox to hold them and stick to good quality. A crappy wrench or Socket Wrench will hurt you if you put any 'english' on the wrench. Air tools are also great but you get what you pay for. A compressor that is rated at 10 or over CFM at 90PSI is critical as well as having a good air powered impact gun. Ingersoll Rand, Chicago are two of the greatest and best. Campbell Hausefeld and Husky are ok for the basic jobs but the guns from the others will pay back in spades. Get some Battery operated tools as well, a Drill/driver and screwdriver works as well. As somebody said earlier, Milwaukee M18 or Dewalt Li-IOn work really well are are very versatile. Good hunting

elwesso
11-27-10, 09:36 PM
In my experience, I think that the smaller stuff is worth buying the good stuff... Craftsman is about as good as it gets for the money for DIY type stuff.. Yeah, if you break a tool it will inconvenience you, but a dealer tech working at a GM dealership, if they break they're 1/2in or 9/16in wrench or socket that could make all the difference in the world, even if it was just for part of a day.

Ive broken a few 3/8 craftsman sockets, as well as needing my ratchets rebuilt. I was always able to walk in, get them replaced and go along my way. One time I took back a craftsman breaker bar that had been broken and was easily 20 years old.. without any question they pulled a brand new tool off the shelf and replaced it... thats a nice peace of mind knowing that you wont have to replace tools...

For the big stuff or stuff you wont use much, the cheap stuff is probably OK.. I wouldnt feel bad about buying bigger sockets or wrenches, or even impact sockets.

BTW, with air or power tools, you DEFINITELY get what you pay for... Hand tools you can get away with certain things, but a good quality air tool or power tool (electric or battery), you will be able to tell the difference for sure.

the recluse
11-27-10, 11:03 PM
Stay away from Harbor Freight for everyday tools.

Really? I've been using Harbor freight for about 8 years now and have never had a problem with anything but a crappy screwdriver set. You can usually tell their crap from the better stuff...

Top of the line? No, but with the local store right here in town, I get the same lifetime guarantee as anybody else, and have never had to use it...

Other than that I have a 63 pc. Husky set that I bought about 10 years ago with an 8 drawer tool box that does just about every job on the planet other than specialty tooling.

I have more tools now than I ever had, some Snap On, Matco, Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, well, just about everything. The one thing I can say for sure is it really doesn't matter much what you buy any more, just abouit all of it comes out of China :ill:

billc83
11-30-10, 06:07 PM
I just picked up a 252 piece Husky socket/wrench/bit set. I need to keep better track of my tools!

We'll see how they hold up, but I personally haven't had any issue with broken tools. Then again, I don't really do any hardcore use with them.

EcSTSatic
11-30-10, 08:08 PM
Really? I've been using Harbor freight for about 8 years now and have never had a problem with anything but a crappy screwdriver set. You can usually tell their crap from the better stuff...

Ever since I flew across an engine while torquing headbolts with a s****y Harbor Freight 1/2" drive socket that snapped, I have stayed away from HF as much as possible. Every time I get weak and buy something there I am disappointed. They either break, cut me due to poor finish or just fall apart.