: Stock Sterio stoped working. how to remove the old one. HELP!

Backwoodscaddy
11-22-10, 07:50 PM
i got a 83 Deville and stock radioe stoped working and i want to put a nice aftermarket one in. i no its reacking the origanality of the car wich makes me sad :( but i need to no how to get the old one out without braking my dash apart.

jayoldschool
11-22-10, 09:26 PM
I have a 1983 DeVille and the stock radio stopped working and I want to put a nice aftermarket one in. I know it is wrecking the originality of the car, which makes me sad :(, but I need to know how to get the old one out without breaking my dash apart.

FTFY

MudAnt
11-22-10, 10:23 PM
It's pretty easy. The only difficult part is removing the 2 vents above the radio to gain access to the screws behind them. You have to turn the vent all the way up, delicately pry the little pins with a flat screw driver, and carefully slide it out. Then you just pop the knobs off the radio, undo the nuts around the knob shafts, and remove 2 more screws down by the Climate control. That whole section of the dash will come out, and the radio can then be removed after you undo 3 more screws holding it in place.

Also, if you're looking to get a new radio that doesn't wreck the originality, consider the Retrosound Model One:

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/24

It's a nicely modernized radio (USB/SD/AUX inputs, FM radio w/RDS, remote, 50W RMS amplifier) that uses your stock analog knobs and fits into the space the original radio did. Here's a picture of it installed in my '86 Fleetwood Brougham:

http://marcdegrandpre.com/images/86%20FWB/IMG_2848.JPG

I've had it for a few months now, I really like it so far. I also replaced my stock speakers with some Clarions, thinking about getting a sub this summer (It has connections for external amplification).
I removed the stock radio, installed this one, and replaced all the speakers myself, so let me know if you have any other questions :)

1980coupe
11-22-10, 10:29 PM
I have a 1983 DeVille and the stock radio stopped working and I want to put a nice aftermarket one in. I know it is wrecking the originality of the car, which makes me sad :(, but I need to know how to get the old one out without breaking my dash apart.

FTFY

I see you edited his grammar....LOL.
To remove dash bezel around radio.. there's two screws on the lower left and right side. Then remove the knobs of the radio; pull out. Then remove the little coiled spring, then unscrew the hex nuts.
Remove the A/C vents by pressing inward the tabs that are located on the sides. Then in the upper part you'll see two other screws above each A/C vent and presto! To remove radio..unscrew two 6mm (I think) on either side and there's a bolt under the radio that bolts the ground strap and pull out and unplug antenna lead and radio connections.
If I left out anything, I'll update this as I have my manual in the car or anyone who reads this feel free to add, if I left anything out. Thanks

AElayyat
11-24-10, 12:02 AM
MudAnt -- good instructions, those are all the steps to remving the stock radio.

Back in 2000 if I had known about that head unit you have in that caddy of yours I would not have had my dash cut to put an aftermarket CD player in there...I do have a spare center dash unit in perfect shap that I got from PickAPart.