: strange oil change

jrrsmith18
11-21-10, 10:28 PM
on saturday i decided to change the oil in my 06 awd sts, and when it finished draining i only got out 2 1/4 quarts. what i drained looked like motor oil, when empty i checked the dipstick and it was dry, when i added new oil there was new oil on the dipstick, and the car sounded and drove fine. i unscrewed the 13mm bolt, no gasket, pointed to the left of the car. so is it really possible the car was running on 2 1/4 quarts of motor oil?

EChas3
11-21-10, 11:10 PM
When was the last time you checked it? Some of the 3.6's do have oil use issues. They usually don't run well when low.

Based on forum members observations, the low oil level sensor is generally too tolerant on cars with both engines. IMO, when the dipstick would show below the fill mark, an idiot light should be on.

rzambrano
11-22-10, 01:05 AM
When was the last time you checked it? Some of the 3.6's do have oil use issues. They usually don't run well when low.

Based on forum members observations, the low oil level sensor is generally too tolerant on cars with both engines. IMO, when the dipstick would show below the fill mark, an idiot light should be on.

Love your post, are there any points we can give you?

C&C
11-22-10, 06:36 AM
If you were able to put in six quarts to fill the crankcase (to get the level up to the fill mark) then yes you were running with your oil that low. Was there oil showing in and around the drainplug (signifiying a leak)?

malatu
11-22-10, 02:25 PM
If you were able to put in six quarts to fill the crankcase (to get the level up to the fill mark) then yes you were running with your oil that low. Was there oil showing in and around the drainplug (signifiying a leak)?

Wow... running a car on 2.5 quarts of oil .... wonder if he was using Zmax...:stirpot:

turnerbend
11-22-10, 03:45 PM
Most car can run without any problems on 1.5 to 2 qts of lube. The problem comes on quick starts or hard cornering. I would say check oil at every tank of fuel or every 2 weeks if you don't do a lot of driving. I check my 05 STS oil, tire pressure, power steering, wiper fluid and brake fluid at lease once a month ( have 14000 miles on it).

EChas3
11-22-10, 08:37 PM
^^^ I wouldn't go so far as "without any problems" but you do offer good advice. I admit I get lazy after I know the oil use pattern of a car.