: 'chirping/chattering' noises from NAV

SHOWGIRL
11-21-10, 04:15 PM
Hi - when any car door is open (with or without motor running) there are signs of 'life' coming from the NAV even tho it's not activated. (the NAV disc is in place)...can't totally describe the 'sounds' but something is living inside there ! The book did refer to something about 'noises' but didn't state if this happens when the engine isn't running.
So we removed the Nav DVD and we 'think' the noises stopped.
If this is 'normal' then of course that would be a relief to know.... thanks for your help!

ffrog
11-21-10, 06:34 PM
The noise you hear is probably the disc access mechanism. Unfortunately it is considered normal by the manufacturer but not by the end user. Mine keeps going long after I shut everything off. So rather than allow for wear and tear on the disc head I remove the disc until I need the NAV system.

Superjim
11-21-10, 06:57 PM
The noise is pretty normal.
Some are louder than others.
My NAV was replaced under warranty due to fading buttons.
The old one was so quite you had to put your ear right down almost against the screen to hear it...
The new one is a lot louder than the old one.

I currently have 92,000 miles on my 2006 and I never take my disk out.
I have never had one minutes trouble from it by leaving the disk in.

Jim

tedcmiller
11-22-10, 12:52 PM
The noise you are hearing is normal. Cadillac assumes that any time a door is opened, the car will be entered and started and the navigation system will be started. To get a headstart, they start reading the navigation disc as soon as the door is opened. Of course, none of this might happen, but the system will be ready if it does. My wife has left the navigation disc in her system of both a 2004 and a 2008 DTS since the first day (both were purchased new) and never had a problem. Those people who remove their navigation disc to minimize "head wear" are wasting their time.

ffrog
11-22-10, 04:06 PM
The noise you are hearing is normal. Cadillac assumes that any time a door is opened, the car will be entered and started and the navigation system will be started. To get a headstart, they start reading the navigation disc as soon as the door is opened. Of course, none of this might happen, but the system will be ready if it does. My wife has left the navigation disc in her system of both a 2004 and a 2008 DTS since the first day (both were purchased new) and never had a problem. Those people who remove their navigation disc to minimize "head wear" are wasting their time.

Please do explain then, why does the noise continue long after exiting the vehicle? Maybe anticipating that one may use the car again the next day? By the way, it takes 5 seconds tops to remove a DVD. That really is a lot of wasted time.

Superjim
11-22-10, 05:12 PM
Please do explain then, why does the noise continue long after exiting the vehicle? Maybe anticipating that one may use the car again the next day? By the way, it takes 5 seconds tops to remove a DVD. That really is a lot of wasted time.

The noise will continue for exactly ten minutes after the last door is closed.
Then the RAP...(Retained Accessory Power) module with kill power to it.

To check if yours is working as it should...shut off the car, remove the key and just sit there for 10 minutes.
At the end of that time...all noise will cease..."UNTIL" you open the door to get out
Then it runs for another ten minutes. :)

ffrog
11-23-10, 12:06 PM
The noise will continue for exactly ten minutes after the last door is closed.
Then the RAP...(Retained Accessory Power) module with kill power to it.

To check if yours is working as it should...shut off the car, remove the key and just sit there for 10 minutes.
At the end of that time...all noise will cease..."UNTIL" you open the door to get out
Then it runs for another ten minutes. :)

Hey Jim how ya doing haven’t spoke to you in awhile.

I know about the RAP, been there done that. What I cannot figure out is why with a disc in the system, the radio’s power is off and the driver’s door is opened the noise continues.

As soon as the driver’s door is opened the RAP no longer comes into play and the radio or CD if on will stop playing and widows etc will no longer operate. Off is off and when the radio is turned off the NAV system should also be off. If you have a destination in progress the noise does not happen.

Superjim
11-23-10, 12:25 PM
Hey Jim how ya doing havenít spoke to you in awhile.

I know about the RAP, been there done that.
What I cannot figure out is why with a disc in the system, the radioís power is off and the driverís door is opened the noise continues.

As soon as the driverís door is opened the RAP no longer comes into play and the radio or CD if on will stop playing and widows etc will no longer operate. Off is off and when the radio is turned off the NAV system should also be off. If you have a destination in progress the noise does not happen.

I am doing fine. It has been a while.
I retired last Friday.
Still tying up some loose ends for a few days...then I plan on enjoying it... :cloud9:

The NAV seems to operate kind of independently of the radio... I don't know why.

The part I put in "BOLD"...I can't answer...but I do know that if you sit there with the door closed...the noise quits in about 10 minutes maybe a little less...
At least "MINE" does.. :) :)

Jim

ffrog
11-23-10, 07:45 PM
Jim, congrats on your retirement. I retired 1 year ago.

One other quirk of the radio: At night with the radio and NAV off I get a glare on the screen. Being in the computer field you know there is always a work around. For this I leave the radio on, turn off the display and mute the radio. The dim glow with the radio off drives me nuts.

tedcmiller
11-24-10, 06:56 PM
Removing the navigation disc is a waste of time, regardless of how long it takes. Leaving it in doesn't hurt anything.

ffrog
11-25-10, 06:36 PM
Removing the navigation disc is a waste of time, regardless of how long it takes. Leaving it in doesn't hurt anything.

In regards to this thread, to me “a waste of time” is an extremely relevant term. This is only my opinion and I will not force it on anyone else. I (and I place emphases on “I”) infrequently use my NAV system, unless I am on a road trip, in which case I have the disc inserted and a destination set, therefore no unusual noise. As I earlier stated it takes me 5 seconds to remove the disc. If I were to leave it in, it would take me longer to explain to my passengers what the unusual noise was.

If I recall correctly, the purpose of this thread was to suggest to SHOWGIRL what the noise was, not to tell her to leave the disc in or remove it.

I am aware that many members always leave there disc inserted. SUPERJIM and I have several posts in another thread regarding this. His point is very valid in that it is there when he needs it. Mine is in the center console if I need it. It may or may not cause excessive wear and tear on the read mechanism, but it is mechanical and being mechanical it is subject to wear regardless of vehicle mileage.

tedcmiller
11-27-10, 01:00 PM
I don't know anything about "noises" after exiting the vehicle, because I have exited and walked away. Yes, most people leave the disc in the navigation unit because the dealer put it in, and they a) don't know it's there and b) they wouldn't know how to take it out even if they know it is there. Removing the navigation disc is a waste of my time. I am not the one who suggested that it be removed. Also, no one has ever asked me or my wife what the noise is, so, I have not had to explain it, ever.

ffrog
11-27-10, 06:19 PM
...no one has ever asked me or my wife what the noise is, so, I have not had to explain it, ever.

Texas Jim did mention that his first one was quiet and he would have to listen with his ear close to the system to hear it. He said that his second one was noisier than the first. Perhaps yours is on the quiet side. I suppose that mine leans to the noisier side of the scale. Maybe I should have had it checked out when I first got the car. The noise in mine is noticeable while driving with a disc in and the system off, that is one reason why I take it out in between road trips. I donít use it locally because I know the area and where and when the traffic hot spots are. Hopefully my next one will incorporate the traffic update feature.

SHOWGIRL
11-28-10, 01:34 PM
Texas Jim did mention that his first one was quiet and he would have to listen with his ear close to the system to hear it. He said that his second one was noisier than the first. Perhaps yours is on the quiet side. I suppose that mine leans to the noisier side of the scale. Maybe I should have had it checked out when I first got the car. The noise in mine is noticeable while driving with a disc in and the system off, that is one reason why I take it out in between road trips. I donít use it locally because I know the area and where and when the traffic hot spots are. Hopefully my next one will incorporate the traffic update feature.
-----------------------
Hi !! thanks for your replies about the other 'being' living in my car that 'chirps' LOL ... i appreciate all the replies from you all and as pointed-out it's an individual decision to leave or not leave - i'm just relieved that it's nothing that hasn't been experienced by others. We bought our DTS 'used' from a dealer so of course one 'never' really knows 'how' it was treated ! LOL. So far the tires haven't fallen-off !!! great-riding car - incredibly comfortable yet 'supportive' seating- great passing-response when you want to get away from a tail-gater/18-wheeler, etc, quiet inside. Will take my husband a while to adjust however - he's driven nothing but RWD, 'sports-suspension/hug-the-road- round the curve ride'' with no 'fight' from the steering wheel '' vehicle . I guess you get to an age when 'adjusting' to new things isn't 'easy' - but he does think the DTS is a wonderful car. (first time ownership). :thumbsup:

Superjim
11-28-10, 08:00 PM

I didn't realize that yours was "THAT" noisy.
I thought maybe you were just more sensitive to noise than I am.
If you have any warranty left...get it replaced.

I can only hear mine when I am in the garage.."BEFORE" I start it.
Once the engine is running and the HVAC is on...even on low...you can not hear any noise from the NAV system.

Jim