: Planning on getting a 03, any issues to know of? large weight in rear

cdimic
11-20-10, 09:07 PM
Planning on getting a 03 escalade in the next couple weeks as soon as i find one near me with 60-80 miles in white for a show car. Anyway I own an audio company and im looking to put about 600lb of sound equipment in the back (4 digital designs 18's for those who know). I hear the rear shocks are absolutely horrible and im sure ill blow them quick... Any issues i should know of that happens in the upper miles of these SUVs.

Was gonna get a Denali but I like escalades, seems like im opening a can of worms from what ive read.

Am i?

Caddydude420
11-21-10, 04:34 PM
Looks like it'll be a sick system. As far as I know, you can replace the rear with gas shocks instead. I'm sure you can probably find something heavy duty for it.

I had a few loads of brick in the back of my EXT a few times. Luckily I only had to go a few miles, because it was pushing it with the air shocks. I'm not sure how much 600 lbs is as far as the general weight capacity, but you may be better off finding an 2500 Suburban. Then again, people do put crazy systems in escalades - not sure if they're daily driven though...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/210500-air-shocks-vs-gas-shocks.html

cdimic
11-21-10, 08:00 PM
Thank you for your oppinion on the shocks. I will most likely do that especially since my box will weigh 450+ and ill never want to take it out, especially for a blown compressor.... That would just aggrivate me. I really like the look of the escalades and I dont want a vehicle that is completely massive that would turn the noses of some customers simply thinking its only loud because its in a massive ass vehicle like an xl or a suburban. Do you think a Denali would hold up better on the weight? I think it can handle 1200 dead weight.

nathanjax
11-21-10, 08:44 PM
denali, tahoe, esky... all the same vehicle

keep all the stock suspension. Just add helper bags to the springs.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/181602-helper-bags-installed.html

They are all you need as far as weight issues...

cdimic
11-22-10, 11:45 AM
Would the bags fix the leaky rear suspension? I nEed low maintenance

nathanjax
11-22-10, 12:43 PM
Would the bags fix the leaky rear suspension? I nEed low maintenance

Yes

The shocks would still leak, but since you would have the bags inside of the springs, you would be able to self adjust the air pressure in them to remain level.

Best $75 you'll spend

cdimic
11-22-10, 04:58 PM
^Thanks i really appreciate it. I went ahead an spent $600 on the brazilian imported 13 ply baltic birch to build the damn box. This allows amazing sound quality and less weight than mdf, alot more expensive but it will save me 150lb.

nohopeboyz
12-02-10, 10:55 PM
You would be fine with the stock suspension as long as it is functional.. my buddie has 4 L7 15's with 6 batterys and its lowered and no probs other than the compressor failing once which is normal for them..