: How to identify VIN 9 vs VIN Y transmissions and engines

jimsbox
11-20-10, 01:55 PM
I am getting close to putting everything back into the cradle and reinstakking into the car. My thought for the day is; Since I bought a junkyard transmission which they told me was a VIN Y, is there any way to tell before it goes into the car that it truly is a VIN Y, likewise on the engine. I can't believe how long it took me to think of this, my brain fart must have been a full room clearing blowout!

I would appreciate any info asap, probably going in on Thanksgiving day.

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 01:57 PM
there will be stamping numbers on the case and better yet you can look for the little metal plate with a serial number and a part number

with the part number we could easily tell which one it is... also there's codes 5MLN etc that will be on that plate (some salvage yards use those codes to ID the transmissions)

see this post for more info about the plate and the different transmissions in northstars (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/213451-transmission-id-mln-van-need-replacement.html#post2396642)

jimsbox
11-20-10, 02:01 PM
If I get those would you be able to help me id them? Thanks a lot Chris. I have a small list of incidental stuff like the plastic retainers for the lower plastic air duct and some brake line fittings, etc. on my 00 DHS. Would you be able to work me up a quote later if I forward the list to you?

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 02:16 PM
yeah sure... PM me you VIN and the list of parts you're after and i can definitely help you out

and did you see the edit i made on the previous post? that other thread i linked to had a nice picture (provided by Sub) that shows exactly where to look

jimsbox
11-20-10, 02:24 PM
Hi Chris,

yes I did follow your link and for everyone's edification, there is a stamping (looks like a coarse dot matrix printing) on the case immediately below the tag shown in Sub's picture and among the other number groups is the stamping LD8. I feel a lot more secure now putting it in my DHS. I also got a yard engine that I would like to confirm ( again late because I already went to the expense and time to stud it) is a VIN Y engine. Do you know where I can find that information and how to interpret it? If you think it is worth the trouble I will try to get a picture of the ID info on the tranny.

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 02:35 PM
LD8 is the enigine RPO code for a VIN-Y car ... basically if the 8th digit of the VIN is a Y then it's an LD8 northstar

sounds like you've got the right one

jimsbox
11-20-10, 02:51 PM
Chris, Does Rippy take Paypal? Also, I would like to comfirm the used engine I bought is truly VIN Y. Do you know how to check that?

Submariner409
11-20-10, 03:17 PM
Chris, Does Rippy take Paypal? Also, I would like to comfirm the used engine I bought is truly VIN Y. Do you know how to check that?

VIN derivative on the lower right front side of the engine block.

Submariner409
11-20-10, 03:21 PM
Here's the VIN breakdown - the derivative is an abbreviation of this.

Your Deville will of course have a different "carline/Series code.........

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 04:13 PM
we don't take paypal, sorry... but we do take the paypal mastercard, since it's just a mastercard after-all

jimsbox
11-20-10, 04:45 PM
Thanks Sub and Chris,

I would be embarressed at not thinking of checking this til this late date but if you can't laugh at yourself someone else will! Or what its worth and I doubt if many would make the bonehead mistake of waiting until ready to reinstall to check this, check these at the time of purchase if getting a used engine and/or transmission that has already been removed from the car. Thanks, the VIN derivative does not contain either a 9 or a y but it does have the LD8 sequence in the second row. I am good to go now. Chris, I will compile my list of parts and email it to you. Then we can get together by email or phone and discuss availability, cost. etc.

Sub, thanks again, that is just what I was needing.

Jim

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 06:32 PM
sure thing...