: Tool for removing the lower Rad hose

billdaman
11-20-10, 01:49 PM
I was eager to change the coolant on my recently purchased 06 with 28K miles and carefully read all the threads on the forum regarding changing Dexicool and set off to do the change.

The first issue that I uncovered is that there was no definitive answer as to weather or not there is a drain petcock on the 2006 DTS. After an exhaustive search on my vehicle I can report definitively that there is not a drain plug on my 06 DTS.

The next step I took was to attempt to grasp that lower hose clamp with a pair of pliers, which with my hands is defintely a no-go, no way. The space is confined and even if you could span the pliers enough to grasp the clamp a slip could damage the radiator.

Does anyone have a tool number for a tool designed to remove this clamp and complete this job? I cannot bear to HAVE to bring my vehicle to a Cadillac dealer just for a coolant change!

BTW anyone with a writeup / photos on doing the 2006 and up DTS coolant change please post! I want the 5 year old Dex out of my vehicle.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/billdaman/004.jpg

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 02:13 PM
its good for 100,000 plus miles I'm a Cadillac tech and there is no reason to change it.

[the above was posted by one of my techs... 100k or 5yrs is the official designation but most forum members will probably say 3-4yrs just to be safe]

Superjim
11-20-10, 02:48 PM
its good for 100,000 plus miles I'm a Cadillac tech and there is no reason to change it.

[the above was posted by one of my techs... 100k or 5yrs is the official designation but most forum members will probably say 3-4yrs just to be safe]

Actually...according to my 2006 manual...

Engine cooling system service every 150,000 miles (or every five years, whichever occurs first).

His 2006 is now 5 years old..as is mine.
It is time (or maybe past time) to change the coolant.

Texas Jim

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 02:53 PM
wow, time flies, doesn't it?

you're totally right

Mark58
11-20-10, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Superjim;2422291]Actually...according to my 2006 manual...

Engine cooling system service every 150,000 miles (or every five years, whichever occurs first).

Texas Jim[/QUOTE
So lets say you don't drive the car at all, but every 5 yrs change coolant? That's like saying that if you have some coolant in a container get rid of it every 5 yrs? Food for thought!!!

Superjim
11-20-10, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Superjim;2422291]Actually...according to my 2006 manual...

Texas Jim[/QUOTE
So lets say you don't drive the car at all, but every 5 yrs change coolant? That's like saying that if you have some coolant in a container get rid of it every 5 yrs? Food for thought!!!

But...In the engine, the coolant protective chemistry degrades with time and being in contact with the aluminum engine.

Not at all the same thing as coolant in the sealed container.
But "I" would not use 5 year old coolant either..."IF" I knew it was five years old. :)

Jim

billdaman
11-20-10, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Mark58;2422386]

But...In the engine, the coolant protective chemistry degrades with time and being in contact with the aluminum engine.

Not at all the same thing as coolant in the sealed container.
But "I" would not use 5 year old coolant either..."IF" I knew it was five years old. :)

Jim

OK guys so it is established that I need to change my coolant...!!! what about the way to get the clamp off! Cant get it from the top or bottom without a tool. Anyone know of 1?

Superjim
11-20-10, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Superjim;2422513]

OK guys so it is established that I need to change my coolant...!!! what about the way to get the clamp off! Cant get it from the top or bottom without a tool. Anyone know of 1?

I will look at mine in the morning when it is light and post back.
If it is a "SPRING TYPE" hose clamp...there is a special type of pliers made just for that type of clamp.
They have grooves in the jaws to grip the ends that stick up.

Jim

tedcmiller
11-21-10, 03:15 PM
The poster is correct - no radiator drain on any Cadillac of recent vintage. I, personally, would remove the coolant by other means (sucking, etc.) before I would remove the hose. If you do remove the hose, I would replace it entirely. Short of that, new sealer on the old hose is a good idea along with a screw-type hose clamp rather than the tension one (spring) used by the factory.

Although the factory service does recommend removing the lower radiator hose as the proper method for draining coolant, it also states that this should be done from the bottom of the car - not from the top. Details regarding the position of the hose clamp and use of special hose clamp pliers are provided in the factory service manaul.

mike5514
11-29-10, 10:52 AM
Nice car always did like white! I removed and installed the radiator on my 97 sls removing the hose from the bottom with out a problem, have not done it to my 06 dts yet. mike