: 05 Nav Stop Responding to Finger Gestures

rzambrano
11-20-10, 12:50 AM
As of yesterday, my nav stop responding to any finger touch. I can still control it through the hard buttons. Am I screwed?

BaTu
11-20-10, 11:31 AM
I gotta tell you, the term "Finger Gesture" brought a different image to mind...... ;)

rzambrano
11-20-10, 04:07 PM
I gotta tell you, the term "Finger Gesture" brought a different image to mind...... ;)

I should rephrase that, my touchscreen stopped working.

rzambrano
11-20-10, 04:08 PM

I should rephrase that, my touchscreen stopped working.

dkozloski
11-20-10, 04:17 PM
Do the old hard reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it. You could also pull the NAV system fuse if you can find and identify it.

rzambrano
11-20-10, 06:05 PM
Do the old hard reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it. You could also pull the NAV system fuse if you can find and identify it.

I read somewhere that there is a specific way to disconnect the battery. Is that true? If so how? Thanks.

EChas3
11-20-10, 06:53 PM
Remove the Negative terminal cable. Remove the Positive. Touch them together for a few seconds. Connect the Positive & then the Negative. You may have to reprogram the Up position of the windows per the manual. No other settings should be lost.

rzambrano
11-20-10, 08:18 PM
Remove the Negative terminal cable. Remove the Positive. Touch them together for a few seconds. Connect the Positive & then the Negative. You may have to reprogram the Up position of the windows per the manual. No other settings should be lost.

Thank you, will try later when I get a chance.

TobyJohnson11
11-22-10, 01:19 PM
I would pull the fuse first and see if that fixes it.

rzambrano
11-23-10, 01:24 AM

Or that also, haven't tried it yet. Will do that, seems much more logical. Will do it when I get both my engine mounts swapped on Wednesday.

rzambrano
11-23-10, 08:33 PM

You are the man!! I had a chance to do this today and right after, it worked and it worked much better than before. Touchscreen response is a bit better! Thank you.

TobyJohnson11
11-23-10, 09:17 PM
Glad it worked for you!!!!! I can't take credit though, I read it on another post a few days back when my nav screen went black. Much cheeper than a trip to the dealer. :-)

rzambrano
11-23-10, 09:55 PM
Glad it worked for you!!!!! I can't take credit though, I read it on another post a few days back when my nav screen went black. Much cheeper than a trip to the dealer. :-)

Way cheaper than the dealer and much much cheaper than having to replace the Nav system, which I already had in mind.

Richey76
12-30-10, 01:44 PM
which fuse do i need to check? i checked a couple that i thought might be it, but nothing.

rzambrano
12-30-10, 02:05 PM
which fuse do i need to check? i checked a couple that i thought might be it, but nothing.

You will need to check the "RADIO/ONSTAR" one.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1759/screenshot20101230at100.png

Richey76
12-30-10, 05:30 PM
that is one of the ones I checked and replaced for good measure. I guess I will have to try the battery disconnect thing then. Thanks for the quick reply!

Richey76
12-30-10, 06:03 PM

Tried this after the fuse thing didn't pan out. My touch screen is still unresponsive. My "hard" keys below work, but none of the on screen ones do. Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Please?

rzambrano
12-30-10, 09:59 PM
Tried this after the fuse thing didn't pan out. My touch screen is still unresponsive. My "hard" keys below work, but none of the on screen ones do. Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Please?

I think you'll have to go with the battery method.

rzambrano
12-30-10, 09:59 PM
that is one of the ones I checked and replaced for good measure. I guess I will have to try the battery disconnect thing then. Thanks for the quick reply!

Go ahead and let us know what happens.

Richey76
01-05-11, 05:31 PM
Go ahead and let us know what happens.

The battery thing didn't work and neither did the fuse. I don't know what else to try other than have the Caddy dealership charge me $100 to hook up to it and click a few buttons.

rzambrano
01-05-11, 06:22 PM
The battery thing didn't work and neither did the fuse. I don't know what else to try other than have the Caddy dealership charge me $100 to hook up to it and click a few buttons.

That was my only option when I thought I was lucked out, but this fixed it. I guess your Nav is gone. Sorry.

rzambrano
01-15-11, 04:41 AM
Mine stopped working again, this time I think for good.

sba300
01-15-11, 01:04 PM
Please tell me you guys have extended warranty. It could be one of 2 things - either the resistive touch panel itself is shot, possibly due to microfractures, or the controller board behind the LCD that it plugs into is fried. The touch panel isn't hard to replace. Just need to find a compatible one.

rzambrano
01-15-11, 03:42 PM
Please tell me you guys have extended warranty. It could be one of 2 things - either the resistive touch panel itself is shot, possibly due to microfractures, or the controller board behind the LCD that it plugs into is fried. The touch panel isn't hard to replace. Just need to find a compatible one.

Nope, I dont.

sba300
01-15-11, 05:46 PM
oh crap. hmm...

you said the battery fix worked temporarily? it could be a grounding issue...

The resistive touch panel contains multiple layers that are a part of an open circuit. when you apply pressure on it, the circuits close, and an action is executed. Intuitively, if there was a grounding issue, the circuit won't have enough current to pick up a finger gesture. Just a thought. I might be completely wrong.

Or there might be buildup of charge somewhere. This would take some time to occur, explaining why the battery fix worked temporarily?

rzambrano
01-15-11, 09:35 PM
oh crap. hmm...

you said the battery fix worked temporarily? it could be a grounding issue...

The resistive touch panel contains multiple layers that are a part of an open circuit. when you apply pressure on it, the circuits close, and an action is executed. Intuitively, if there was a grounding issue, the circuit won't have enough current to pick up a finger gesture. Just a thought. I might be completely wrong.

Or there might be buildup of charge somewhere. This would take some time to occur, explaining why the battery fix worked temporarily?

Well I got it to work. I cleaned up the LCD where the frame goes over it and it worked fine.