: Driver's Floor Wet

DopeStar 156
11-19-10, 12:29 PM
I've been noticing water collecting on the driver's side floor pan of my 89 Fleetwood Brougham during rainstorms. The oddity is that the carpet is wetter than the floormat so to me it says the water is collecting under the carpet not dripping down onto it from above. Anyone else experience this? I'd like to know if this is a common problem with these cars and go right to the source of the problem....

outsider
11-19-10, 12:41 PM
I've never experienced this problem...could it be leaking in from above and running down to the floor pan?

HUF
11-19-10, 01:30 PM
Do you have a sunroof? Sometimes the drain tubes of a sunroof get plugged resulting in a wet floor pan.

DopeStar 156
11-19-10, 02:23 PM
Do you have a sunroof? Sometimes the drain tubes of a sunroof get plugged resulting in a wet floor pan.

No sunroof. I'm suspecting either the windshield or driver's door frame but I don't know which to go by. The water has to be running down either the firewall or the A pillar under the molding/dash and carpet......

outsider
11-19-10, 03:07 PM
^ That's what I was thinking. I think there are places that can test your windshield to make sure it's sealing correctly...might wanna check into that.

sven914
11-19-10, 04:38 PM
Have you gotten under it to see if there's a hole in the floor pan?

Robin Banx
11-19-10, 06:05 PM
Dope........ Our '81 sedan deville had perpetually wet front floor pans. The cause was revealed when I took the vinyl top off for replacement. Both w/s posts were badly rusted out where they joined the roof panel. I wish I had known this before I did the body and paint. You might be able to check your posts by taking the drip rails off and peeling the roof cover back far enough for a look. Another possibility might be the windshield glass sliding downward over time. I have seen this on an 81 FWB parts car which I dismantled. It was easy to spot because the left glass support plate (the one screwed to the cowl panel and used to correctly locate the glass when installing) had turned sideways, allowing the glass to slip down and leave a 1/16" gap in the top r.h. corner. The previous owner had smeared silicone over everything except the gap under the moulding. I have pix of mine stripped and ready to repair if you need them. I would suggest that you don't ask to see them because they are very depressing.
Cheers........R.

DopeStar 156
11-19-10, 07:38 PM
Dope........ Our '81 sedan deville had perpetually wet front floor pans. The cause was revealed when I took the vinyl top off for replacement. Both w/s posts were badly rusted out where they joined the roof panel. I wish I had known this before I did the body and paint. You might be able to check your posts by taking the drip rails off and peeling the roof cover back far enough for a look. Another possibility might be the windshield glass sliding downward over time. I have seen this on an 81 FWB parts car which I dismantled. It was easy to spot because the left glass support plate (the one screwed to the cowl panel and used to correctly locate the glass when installing) had turned sideways, allowing the glass to slip down and leave a 1/16" gap in the top r.h. corner. The previous owner had smeared silicone over everything except the gap under the moulding. I have pix of mine stripped and ready to repair if you need them. I would suggest that you don't ask to see them because they are very depressing.
Cheers........R.

Yeah there's no hole in the floor. I drove through a rain storm and it was bone dry, this only happens when the car is parked. I'm familiar with the windshield sliding, my friend's 78 Coupe did the same thing a while ago. There is some rubber in the top left corner of the windshield that seems to have separated in the corner so I'm wondering if that's the cause. I'm gonna check in further detail when I get a chance. The roof under the top is in good shape, the vinyl top was replaced a few years ago and the roof looked good......

jayoldschool
11-19-10, 07:55 PM
It can also be the seam sealer (or lack of) on the firewall/dash/door post panels. Get your head up under the dash with a flash light while a buddy runs a hose over the cowl area.

77CDV
11-19-10, 11:14 PM
Run the car through one of those gas station car washes. They're high-pressure, so you'll be able to see where the water is coming in.

Robin Banx
11-20-10, 12:04 AM
Dope...... Jay's comments on the seam sealer is the next best guess. The cowl side panel to cowl top panels were spot welded and sealed with a crappy sealer (no doubt supplied to GM by the lowest bidder) which went rock hard over time, cracked, fell out and allowed water to penetrate the seam. Look closely at yours......... mine was crap and I dug out and replaced the sealer several years ago.

Cheers.........R.

The-Dullahan
11-20-10, 01:00 AM
Identical problem on my car. The windshield was (and is still) leaking.

DopeStar 156
11-23-10, 12:19 AM
Nice, I'm gonna see what I can do to find the leak next time I'm home. I've got a few places to check now.....

DopeStar 156
11-26-10, 01:26 AM
We had a little rain today, just enough to reveal the problem. The leak is coming from the A pillar, and running down where the hood release is. I discovered that area was wet but not the floor so it rained just enough to seep in but not enough to saturate the floor. I gotta guess it's the weather stripping on the windshield where the chrome molding is. What's the best way to fix this?

HUF
11-26-10, 01:52 AM
A transparent silicon sealant?

77CDV
11-26-10, 03:24 PM
Remove the trim and windshield. You may have a hidden rust issue. At the least, you can have the windshield adhesive removed and replaced, and the windshield reseated.

DopeStar 156
12-04-10, 06:24 PM
Update, the other day I looked at it a little closer and it looked like the driver's door seal was causing it. It had split by the angle where the window starts to slope and I "repaired" it with electrical tape years ago. looks like the tape got hard over the years and stopped working. I realize it's not the best fix but it was what I had at my disposal at the time. The water appeared to be rolling down the A pillar and under the plastic molding that covers it. I saw a droplet of water after a rain storm running down a piece of molding by the hood release that rolled under the carpeting. I'm assuming this is the problem. Still haven't done the hose test since it's been really cold and can't get anyone to stand outside with the hose to help me......

77CDV
12-04-10, 09:34 PM
I still say make use of a high-pressure drive through car wash at a local gas station.