: 22's to 20's, thoughts?

Bear
11-19-10, 12:08 PM
I know this kind of bucks the trend for most but I'm thinking about going down to 20's on my EXT. Not saying they look bad, I do like the look, but they do seem to have their share of drawbacks. The larger wheels seem to need additional care around curbs, minor impact on gas mileage and really limited to just on-road use. Now, I'm not considering full blown off-road use but I do own the EXT because it's a truck (granted a truck with style and comfort). Wondering if anyone else has done this and from anyone else about my logic for wanting to downsize.

Noob
11-19-10, 12:28 PM
I dont see a problem with it. 20 inch is a more popular size, so they will be more tire options out there for you. Also cheaper tire options. You can have more "meat" on your tires to prevent curbage. Or you can trade someone your 22's for their factory 18's if you want to keep it stock looking and it wont look like u replaced factory rims for smaller aftermarket wheels.

WaterKing
11-19-10, 01:07 PM
If you are considering a big brake kit in the future you might not get it to fit with 20". My 15" Baer kit will not fit several 20" rims and 18" wheels will not even go over the calipers. Then again maybe the big brake kits are not as needed with the smaller/lighter wheels. Just consider it.

Bear
11-19-10, 01:32 PM
The breaks are an interesting consideration I hadn't thought about. I was thinking of trying to track down a set of the 20" from the older Platinum Escalade. They have that factory look (larger center cap). I expect they would fit but I'd need to check. The number I am finding is 4584

Murph1219
11-20-10, 04:37 AM
Better mileage, better ride, better handling, less un-sprung weight, cheaper tires. What's not to like? They don't look as cool....

Bear
11-20-10, 11:34 AM
So now the question I can't seem to find on the answer to on the web... will the 20" Platinum wheels from a 2006 fit on a 2010 EXT? The part number is 89040435 and they're listed as the 4584 model rims.

Dobiesdaddy
11-21-10, 01:03 PM
Less expensive to maintain, sacrifice handling somewhat, softer ride for sure.

Bear
11-22-10, 11:05 PM
Ok, so I think I found another option when it comes to wheels. It seems a company called Sport Muscle has a wheel model v11. Looking at the 20" version it looks just like the factory wheel. The center cap appears to be a match meaning I could swap them out with factory.

Now for the only part the concerns me, they're made in China and are considered knock offs. As for quality, I've done some searches and haven't found anything negative. Compared to factory, how much worse can they be?

Gaemus2
11-26-10, 02:18 PM
I bought my 07 Denali with the factory 20s and it rode like a dream. Then I lowered it 2"/3". It still rode OK. Then I put 22s on and it rides like crap. I really can't believe that the 20 to 22 would make *that* much difference, but in my case it seemed to. If you make the 22 to 20 switch, please post some feedback on the ride quality.

Also, I'd recommend getting the GM/chevy 20s and putting caddy center caps on them. Also, run the bridgestone 275/55-20.

GrynchEXT
11-28-10, 11:46 PM
I bought a 2007 EXT with 18" factory wheels last year. I test drove some EXTs with 22" tires and I thought the ride was harsh and worried about bending rims in potholes (I've done it before with a MB). I found some 20" Platinum rims (2006) with Bridgestone 275-55-20s and they are nice summertime compromise tire - ride is better and vehicle still handles well, no offset issues, and you have some compliance before dinging rims. The Bridgestones are getting worn, and I'm interested in putting on Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs for next summer. I put Blizzaks on the 18" rims (70 series) so that they are now the same diameter as 20" tires (32"). I bought a TRUXXX kit in case they rubbed - but they didn't. I really like the 20" chrome rims and think that they look good. I drive in city and country conditions and don't want to worry about every little bump in the road ruining my day. Now I need to go out and change to my winter tires next week. I'm not that worried about putting on big brakes. I bought slotted EBCs rotors and Greenstuff pads and think that's plenty of stopping power for normal driving. A big improvement over OEM brake pads.

jimwalston
11-29-10, 10:11 AM
I may downsize to 20's also I put a leveling kit on mine so i'm going to try to run an A/T 33" tire on the 20's.

Tec80
11-29-10, 02:47 PM
I second the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 275-55-20 tire recommendation. I have 80,000 miles on mine and they still have just under 1/2 tread depth! I was going to try to make it through winter but opportunity just arrived in my mailbox in the form of a Costco rebate coupon, so out the door (mounting, road force balancing, N2 inflation, installation, disposal of old, road hazard warranty, and 4 new tires) a new set was $810.64. They ship the tires to the Costco of your choice for installation. I will then be good for another 80-100k!

Dobiesdaddy
11-29-10, 11:17 PM
I second the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 275-55-20 tire recommendation. I have 80,000 miles on mine and they still have just under 1/2 tread depth! I was going to try to make it through winter but opportunity just arrived in my mailbox in the form of a Costco rebate coupon, so out the door (mounting, road force balancing, N2 inflation, installation, disposal of old, road hazard warranty, and 4 new tires) a new set was $810.64. They ship the tires to the Costco of your choice for installation. I will then be good for another 80-100k!

Wow, that's a steal! Noice.

Bear
11-29-10, 11:44 PM
..... I found some 20" Platinum rims (2006) with Bridgestone 275-55-20s and they are nice summertime compromise tire - ride is better and vehicle still handles well, no offset issues, and you have some compliance before dinging rims....

That answered my question concerning the 20" Platinums, thanks!

Gaemus2
12-02-10, 01:31 PM
The Bridgestones are getting worn, and I'm interested in putting on Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs for next summer.

I had a set of the Parada Spec-X and did not like them. They have a very stiff sidewall, making for a stiff ride. If you like Yokahama, I'd get the Geolanders. I think they are a better tire and have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

sims1dh
12-12-10, 06:20 PM
Do you want to sell the 22's? If so send me a pm.

desidon
12-21-10, 03:46 PM
My wife keeps curbing the chrome 22's...little dings but enough to cause me high blood pressure :-)
Are there aftermarket 22's out there which are not chrome and still look good on the escalade?