: Cold Air Intake?

Forgoten214
11-19-10, 07:53 AM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has a Cold Air Intake for their 4.5s or 4.9s?

I haven't seen any only replacement performance air filters. Was curious to see if anyone had any custom intakes or if there are any bolt on options.

drewsdeville
11-19-10, 10:34 AM
The stock intake system is already pulling in "cold air" from just behind the headlight. You can't get much better than what's already there.

If you want to gauge what kind of gains you'll get from a "low restriction" air filter, take your air filter out and take it for a drive.

Performance-wise, you'll gain nothing. The most you could gain is a louder intake sound, creating the illusion of more performance.

Forgoten214
11-19-10, 10:44 AM
Oh ok, Is there any difference with using K&N or Spectre air filters? Right now I'm just using FRAM from Walmart. lol

drewsdeville
11-19-10, 10:54 AM
This might interest you:

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

Forgoten214
11-19-10, 11:08 AM
AC Delco seems to be the best there, Do they make any that will fit the 4.5 or 4.9 intakes?

drewsdeville
11-19-10, 11:11 AM
They sure do, that's what your car originally came with. Any local parts store should have them.

Forgoten214
11-19-10, 11:19 AM
Any chance Amazon has it? I have a few bucks left over I need to spend in my Cart I will just order it now. If not I'll get the Spectre from them I guess.

Rodya234
11-19-10, 09:48 PM
Even though the stock Cadillac intake does take cold air in from behind the light, there is a significant amount of improvement that can be done to the stock air box design. For one, the stock intake necks down to about the size of a golf ball at the intake opening, and the accordion-flex piece built into the neck is extremely detrimental to airflow. Secondly, the incoming air charge has to make two 90 degree turns on its way to the throttle body. (Where the 4.9's real flow restrictions are would be the cast iron cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, but that's off topic.)

A member of this forum, Ghost C, used to make a very nice intake for these cars, but he doesn't really come around anymore. I've been trying to get one for months.

Forgoten214
11-20-10, 09:07 AM
Even though the stock Cadillac intake does take cold air in from behind the light, there is a significant amount of improvement that can be done to the stock air box design. For one, the stock intake necks down to about the size of a golf ball at the intake opening, and the accordion-flex piece built into the neck is extremely detrimental to airflow. Secondly, the incoming air charge has to make two 90 degree turns on its way to the throttle body. (Where the 4.9's real flow restrictions are would be the cast iron cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, but that's off topic.)

A member of this forum, Ghost C, used to make a very nice intake for these cars, but he doesn't really come around anymore. I've been trying to get one for months.

Nice, Do you happen to have any pictures of the modifications?

Rodya234
11-20-10, 12:23 PM
There are no real modifications to the stock airbox that I know of, but I'm sure some could be done. This is a picture of Ghost C's intake, which is probably the best one available for these cars.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2289/281/5720140014_large.jpg

As you can see, it is much straighter and smoother than the stock airbox, which provides a decent amount of flow increase. Also, the evap canister has to be relocated a bit further down from its original position to accommodate the filter, but from what I understand all that means is you have to extend some wires.

I really wish you could still get these :thepan:

Submariner409
11-20-10, 08:22 PM
the usual slow, double, saturday night post screwup..............

Submariner409
11-20-10, 08:23 PM
Remember: The First Law of Modification is : Do No Harm.

Before you fall for the hype and sales pitches, do a dyno run before you change anything.

Then do your modification work, one step at a time, with dyno runs at each step.At any step, if you lose power (a real occurrence, and common) then go back and try again.

You'll find that the so-called "CAI power gains" are mere advertising hype designed to get into your wallet. Unless you're driving a highly tuned production line engine which must not only run like hell but also meet customer satisfaction goals you'll find that cutesy mods for our cars are eye candy - nothing else. If it only makes more noise (absent real dyno/drag times), it isn't faster - probably slower.

"But, Sub - I can't afford all that testing". Right, and the aftermarket hypers KNOW THAT.

quins90lac
11-21-10, 02:32 AM
A 4inch dryer pipe works real good as well then all you need is a filter. right now im designing a dual 4 in intake set up . don't know if it will help any thing but it will sure look cool

TK8411
03-27-11, 09:15 PM
I improved my 4.9 stock air intake setup with some 3 inch pvc pipe, a 22 degree elbow, a velocity stack, duct wrap insulation and a K&N filter. Also relocated IAT sensor. I felt an improvement. MPG seem to be going up. The stock setup has a 1 7/8 inch opening. Materials cost me roughly 40 bucks but I got plenty of leftover pvc ancd insulation so I'm going to make a cold air intake for my sister's Buick.

Forgoten214
03-27-11, 09:50 PM
I improved my 4.9 stock air intake setup with some 3 inch pvc pipe, a 22 degree elbow, a velocity stack, duct wrap insulation and a K&N filter. Also relocated IAT sensor. I felt an improvement. MPG seem to be going up. The stock setup has a 1 7/8 inch opening. Materials cost me roughly 40 bucks but I got plenty of leftover pvc ancd insulation so I'm going to make a cold air intake for my sister's Buick.

Do you happen to have a picture of your setup or can you take some?

Submariner409
03-28-11, 11:41 AM
I just finished another CAI for a friend. Good for 23 hp at idle.:lildevil:

Forgoten214
03-28-11, 02:15 PM
That's pretty cool man. Does it throw any codes at you?

TK8411
03-29-11, 07:28 PM
I plan on taking pics soon, I need a new memory card. I'll post them.

TK8411
03-29-11, 07:30 PM
No codes either just more power because the computer increases timing from cooler intake temp. Moving the Intake air sensor is almost what the cheap performance chips do.

Cristofo
03-30-11, 01:39 PM
I just finished another CAI for a friend. Good for 23 hp at idle.:lildevil:

Did you really use a Pringles can? Or was that a joke...I mean i guess the tube doesnt matter as long as it transports air effectively, but if it was my car I couldnt do that. I'm not hating on it, just curious.

Submariner409
03-30-11, 02:09 PM
It's a tongue-in-cheek jab at the aftermarket "CAI" idea. These cars already come with a perfectly functional CAI from the factory. MOST cars are now so equipped.

ehall
03-30-11, 02:22 PM
It's from http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/

Cristofo
03-30-11, 02:39 PM
hahaha awesome, I wish I saw this site earlier.

Sevillian273
03-30-11, 10:31 PM
^ I would have used sour cream and onion. - more horsepowerz.

Been watching this thread for a while but didnt wanna be the one to burst the bubble...

The stock intake on pretty much every car made in the last 30 years physically out-flows more air than its engine can draw.

End of story.

ThereIFixedIt is the handyman's peopleofwalmart.com!