: Difference between DTS front wheel and a rear-wheel drive vehicle

SHOWGIRL
11-18-10, 07:20 AM
Hi again .... Our week-old purchase of owning a DTS is our first experience driving 'front wheel drive'. Not being 25 anylonger :crying2: sometimes 'change' doesn't come easily!
If anyone has had a similar change from 'rear-wheel drive to 'front wheel drive' did you find the difference between the vehicles a little disconcerting and i guess 'strange' at first insofar as the 'feeling' in a front wheel drive? ... but we really are very pleased with all aspects of the DTS - especially the wonderful comfortable seats. Thanks in advance for any input !!! best to you all ... showgirl

HartfordGuy
11-18-10, 07:30 AM
I know that "purists" want rear wheel drive, but Front drive is far superior for driving in cold climates.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and remember having to put on snow tires on our rear drive cars each winter.

A heavy front drive car with good all-season tires is the best!

I've had an all-wheel drive Jeep. But I didn't like the fact you couldn't turn off the all-wheel drive. All wheel drive is an expensive option, it gobbles up gas and is expensive to repair later.

Rear drive is fine if you live in a flat state and in warm climate. Especially if you tow a trailer or boat. But you can get an Escalade for that! :)

SHOWGIRL
11-18-10, 07:53 AM
I know that "purists" want rear wheel drive, but Front drive is far superior for driving in cold climates.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and remember having to put on snow tires on our rear drive cars each winter.

A heavy front drive car with good all-season tires is the best!

I've had an all-wheel drive Jeep. But I didn't like the fact you couldn't turn off the all-wheel drive. All wheel drive is an expensive option, it gobbles up gas and is expensive to repair later.
Rear drive is fine if you live in a flat state and in warm climate. Especially if you tow a trailer or boat. But you can get an Escalade for that! :)
==================
Hi !! just mentioined this in my other reply to you - LOL - anyway we 'do' live in a warm climate !! no snow except in the movies ! So don't need FWD but that's how the DTS is made - so there was no choice & didn't want to go to a different mfg's line of sedans...there 'is' the Platinum model with 'magnetic-ride' but agency didn't have one to try besides if would be almost $8-10k more ... Dont know if that would have made a difference or worth the extra expense.
We initially bought a CTS wagon - RWD - sports-feel, handling/low to the road - hubby loved the ride/handling but it was not only 'cramped' inside the cabin, seats were the main problem -otherwise we'd have kept it .. - like sitting on a hard steel mushroom with the back of the seats straight & stiff like a hard park bench + the sitting 'length of the seat' was very 'short' not offering any upper leg support. Also 'lateral' support was lacking -the driver at least had the steering wheel to hold onto - as a passenger, i felt i was sitting on an airplane 'jump-seat' that the crew uses during take-offs/landings !!! You can't compare the two cars - we realize that - so coming from that (for about 3 months - we just made the trade) and then getting into the DTS is a big change - LOL :helpless:

tedcmiller
11-19-10, 12:03 AM
Aside from the advantage of having the weight of the engine over the drive wheels for driving in the snow, front wheel drive cars, such as the DTS, tend to understeer. Rear wheel drive tends to produce oversteer.

Kenwood
11-19-10, 01:35 PM
Hi Showgirl,
I switch around from the front wheel drive DTS to a rear drive Suburban and an all-wheel drive Benz. In all honesty, I don't notice much of a difference in which wheels are driving at all. I do notice the difference in ride quality among my cars, but that's about it. Give it a while and try not to concentrate on it. You'll be fine. Unless you're a race car driver, front wheel drive is a good way to go in rain, sleet, snow, or dry roads.

By the way, we're all curious to know how you came up with the name Showgirl? Are you a model or spokesperson? Do you perform on stage?

TulsaVic
11-19-10, 02:04 PM
I went from a '05 300C RWD, with a nice heavy hemi over the front wheels, to my '08 DTS Performance. Biggest difference I noticed was the ability to get out of my driveway after a light snow with the DTS. Next was the torque steer on full throttle acceleration with the DTS. Ya gotta hold on to the wheel. But the DTS does feel a little more solid in crosswinds. Otherwise, the two felt pretty much identical. High speed cornering (like poorly planned exits from the interstate) were more confidence inspiring with the Chrysler. But I would gladly give up that for the security of traction and control in the winter months (the stability/traction control system on the Chrysler really didn't help much there....). Could be that the MRC nulls out much of the driving negatives of the FWD.

Superjim
11-19-10, 06:19 PM
TulsaVic is right about the MRC ride.

I had a 2009 DTS for a loaner for a week last year.
Took it on a 3000 mile trip. :)
Of course it didn't have MRC...and I sure missed it. :)

If you don't drive very aggressively...you will not notice much difference in handling.
If you do drive really hard...there is a "WORLD" of difference between them.

I almost got in trouble with the loaner...forgetting a time or two that it wouldn't take curves as fast as mine...
haha.

Texas Jim

SHOWGIRL
11-20-10, 05:32 PM
Aside from the advantage of having the weight of the engine over the drive wheels for driving in the snow, front wheel drive cars, such as the DTS, tend to understeer. Rear wheel drive tends to produce oversteer.
--------------------------
Hubby is trying to become familiar with this DTS FWD - first time owning FWD. ... as i said above maybe having MRC would have 'helped' in the transition - don't know - never tried the DTS with that feature. We don't do 'that' much highway driving so it might not have been worth the extra $$ to get that model. Thanks for your reply

SHOWGIRL
11-20-10, 05:49 PM
Hi Showgirl,
I switch around from the front wheel drive DTS to a rear drive Suburban and an all-wheel drive Benz. In all honesty, I don't notice much of a difference in which wheels are driving at all. I do notice the difference in ride quality among my cars, but that's about it. Give it a while and try not to concentrate on it. You'll be fine. I WILL TELL HUBBY ABOUT YOUR CAR-VARIETY - HE DEFINITELY FOUND THAT 'ROUNDING' A CURVE ALONG A HIGHWAY ABOUT 60MPH, THIS DTS FWD TENDS TO WANT TO WORK SIMILIAR TO 'CENTRIFICAL-FORCE' FOR WANT OF A BETTER DESCRIPTION - SO HE HAS TO LEARN TO STEER THIS THING - I'M FINE WITH IT ! MAYBE WOMEN 'COPE' BETTER? HE WAS USED TO A BMW 740iL RWD FOR 10 YRS - THEN WE RECENTLY TRIED THE '10 CTS PERFORMANCE(SPORTS SUSPENSION) WAGON (RWD) -LOVED THE RIDE/CAR/HANDLING - WE HATED THE STIFF UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS SO WENT FOR THIS DTS ! TWO TOALLY DIFFERENT CARS WE REALIZE. THIS RIDE IS NICE TOO ...BUT IT'S NOT A 'SPORTS-HUGGING-THE-ROAD' FEEL AS WAS THE BMW/CTS BUT YOU TRADE ONE FEATURE FOR ANOTHER. (SEATS ARE AMAZING)
SO MAYBE KNOWING & UNDERSTANDING THE 'DYNAMICS' OF FWD WILL HELP HIM UNDERSTAND WHY HE'S VERY 'AWARE' OF THE DIFFERENCE ALTHOUGH YOU SEEM TO TAKE THE 'CHANGES' WELL-ENOUGH! MAYBE SOME DON'T ADAPT AS EASILY AS OTHERS - LOL -MAYBE 'AGE' PLAYS A FACTOR ALSO (WE'RE 'SENIORS) LOL PERHAPS AS I MENTIONED IN ANOTHER RESPONSE TO THIS THREAD HAD WE GOTTON THE DTS WITH 'MRC' THE 'TRANSITION' WOULD HAVE BEEN LESS NOTICABLE ALSO? WHO KNOWS? Unless you're a race car driver, front wheel drive is a good way to go in rain, sleet, snow, or dry roads. SOUNDS 'GOOD' TO ME - HOPEFULLY IN TIME HE'LL ADJUST ?

By the way, we're all curious to know how you came up with the name Showgirl? Are you a model or spokesperson? Do you perform on stage? IN MY 'OTHER LIFE' I DID - LOL (SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS !) THANKS AGAIN - ''SG'' :halo:

SHOWGIRL
11-20-10, 05:54 PM
TulsaVic is right about the MRC ride.

I had a 2009 DTS for a loaner for a week last year.
Took it on a 3000 mile trip. :)
Of course it didn't have MRC...and I sure missed it. :)

If you don't drive very aggressively...you will not notice much difference in handling.
If you do drive really hard...there is a "WORLD" of difference between them.

I almost got in trouble with the loaner...forgetting a time or two that it wouldn't take curves as fast as mine...
haha.
Texas Jim
-----------------------------------------
hI - There wasn't a DTS with MRC to try - but we do not 'drive aggressively''LOL as you stated ...and surely don't take curves 'fast' - too old now for that - so if you feel that we're not missing 'that' much by not having the MRC then we saved the extra cost ... Do you think putting 18'' tires would give a 'more feel of the road' aspect to the DTS without MRC?
Thanks for your input !!! :)

Superjim
11-20-10, 08:26 PM
-----------------------------------------
hI - There wasn't a DTS with MRC to try - but we do not 'drive aggressively''LOL as you stated ...and surely don't take curves 'fast' - too old now for that - so if you feel that we're not missing 'that' much by not having the MRC then we saved the extra cost ... Do you think putting 18'' tires would give a 'more feel of the road' aspect to the DTS without MRC?
Thanks for your input !!! :)

18 inch wheels and lower profile tires would definitely help the "FEEL OF THE ROAD" ... but you will sacrifice some of the cushy ride feeling that you have now.

The "FIRST" thing I would do is check the air pressure and adjust it up a little firmer than the 30psi that the factory recommends.
Try 33 or 34psi in the front and 31 or 32 in the rear
That should help a good bit on tracking around a curve.
It will reduce the tire sidewall rollover a good bit.

As for being too old to drive "SPIRITEDLY" ... :bigroll:
I am 66 and still like to "DRIVE IT"... not just go along for the ride. :thumbsup:

Texas Jim

Lev Blekher
11-21-10, 12:18 AM
All you "old" guys...don't worry because I make up for your lack of flogging when I take my DTS out.

jedhead
11-21-10, 03:39 AM
I get a DTS loaner when my STS-V is in the shop. I have a DTS loaner and the difference to me is night and day. The DTS's body moves around the wheels a lot and "floats" more on the road. The DTS also understeers quite a bit. The STS-V rides a little firmer, but I like the seats better than the DTS. The STS-V still understeers, but not as much as the DTS and a little throttle will eliminate the understeer. Although the STS-V has close to 500hp, the DTS I am driving is getting the 1 mpg better gas milage as the STS-V 17mpg which really suprised me.

Bob