: My Favorite (Simple) Mod

EChas3
11-17-10, 09:50 PM
I just installed a hand-me-down RADAR detector in my wife's 2007 STS. It's a Bel 940, so I just opened my telco parts drawer and pulled out a black phone cord & two line tap 'buttons'. Bel puts positive on the right center pin ||||. I never can remember whick pin is #1 (VOM to the rescue once again!)

The STS mirror has two pink wires and the right one provides switched power only when the engine is running; simply ideal. Black provides ground. The line tap connectors are small enough to hide back under the braided cable-cover. (Purists will spend $15-25 for a connector to tap the mirror plug.) A black wire-tie not only re-secures the cable-cover but also provides a strong support for the detector when suction cups fail.

The STS has an unusual amount of space between the visor and the windshield. We are experiementing with the detector positioned high, a little into the tinting and left of the mirror. Sensitivity may suffer just a bit but the detector is nearly invisible.

I've been doing this to every car I've owned that has convenient power in the mirror. Nowadays, most do. It's my favorite simple mod.

BaTu
11-18-10, 09:45 AM
Gotta have a Radar detector :) - Have you seen this? -> http://www.laser-interceptoruk.com/

TobyJohnson11
11-19-10, 08:49 PM
I just installed a hand-me-down RADAR detector in my wife's 2007 STS. It's a Bel 940, so I just opened my telco parts drawer and pulled out a black phone cord & two line tap 'buttons'. Bel puts positive on the right center pin ||||. I never can remember whick pin is #1 (VOM to the rescue once again!)

The STS mirror has two pink wires and the right one provides switched power only when the engine is running; simply ideal. Black provides ground. The line tap connectors are small enough to hide back under the braided cable-cover. (Purists will spend $15-25 for a connector to tap the mirror plug.) A black wire-tie not only re-secures the cable-cover but also provides a strong support for the detector when suction cups fail.

The STS has an unusual amount of space between the visor and the windshield. We are experiementing with the detector positioned high, a little into the tinting and left of the mirror. Sensitivity may suffer just a bit but the detector is nearly invisible.

I've been doing this to every car I've owned that has convenient power in the mirror. Nowadays, most do. It's my favorite simple mod.

Got any pics of it installed?