: At last a proven 100% fix for Northstar - Head Gasket Failure

BetterNorthstar
11-17-10, 07:10 PM
My 2001 Deville, that I purchased new, with 65,000 miles just had a blown head gasket, had not overheated yet, just using coolant and failed the exhaust in coolant test.

I did not trust the TimeSert that I consider a temporary fix as too many have failed after the one (1) year, 12,000 mile warranty from the Cadillac/GM dealerships.

My research took me to the SureGrip Head Stud Kit fix as I insisted on a stud fix, not the failed design of a bolt down head bolt into aluminum block system that came with the Northstar 4.6L engine.

I wanted a Cadillac Dealer, with the best engine techs to do the work, and wanted the best head stud kit installed (SureGrip) to fix forever the head gasket inherent problem in the Northstar 4.6L engine.

Fortunately, slowly yet surly, Cadillac Dealerships are coming over to the SureGrip Head Stud Kit fix and moving away from the GM installed TimeSert Bolt system attempt to fix (does not usually work long term).

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area. I was willing to go to a Cadillac Dealership in Topeka, Kansas if need be to have them perform the Head Gasket repair. Before I did that I approached Crest Cadillac in Plano, Texas to install the SureGrip Head Stud Kit from www.NorthstarPerformance.com .

Crest Cadillac has one of the best Northstar engine men in the country. His name is Guss; I cannot spell his last name! The service advisor that was handpicked for me to work with, to be the first to use the SureGrip Head Stud Kit, was Mr. Randy Nabors (O-214-613-1416 / Cell 469-446-9712). Crest Cadillac was very interested in seeing and installing a SureGrip Head Stud Kit that they had been hearing about and were excited to do the work for me with this new proven fix for the blown head gaskets.

Guss the engine man with Crest Cadillac thought the SureGrip Head Stud Kit looked great, strong quality, looks like the strong precision studs used on all the racing engines! I could not have presented a better repair solution, far superior to the prone to fail TimeSerts or any bolt system versus stud system.

NOTE: The SureGrip Head Stud Kit from www.NorthstarPerformance.com is the only stud kit system I could find in the market place, and proven in over 400+ installed, and ZERO failure!

Guss showed me the entire engine apart and what caused the damage, bolts that broke loose in the aluminum block under the 275 HP of the engine, that did not hold as the aluminum came out with the bolts and the bolts did not hold and thus the head and head gasket failure.

Guss put the engine back together perfectly, the first time, no returning for re-fix, ready to run for years and miles to come. My Northstar engine, that has known head gasket problems, has gone from the most negative part of the car to the most valuable. I now have a true performance gem of an engine with strong reliability. The heads and head gaskets are now one of the strongest parts of the engine!

I understand GM Power Train in Detroit is watching the progress with these SureGrip Head Stud Kits very closely, as it is now proven that the GM approved TimeSert fix really is a temporary fix and always has been. The TimeSerts in many cases just work until the warranty period is up, 12 months/12,000 miles. Heck, I can make a blown head gasket last that long if I drive slow and stay level, no hills!

My 2001 Deville was born to run, long, hard, and fast. Now with the repair using the SureGrip Head Stud Kit it will, for longer than the car body will last!

I hope GM Power Train will quickly make the SureGrip their chosen fix for Northstart blown head gaskets, for all their Cadillac Dealerships. Yet until they do the Dealers are one by one, doing it themselves!

In the same week I purchased new my 2001 Deville I also purchased new a second 2001 Deville for I liked the power and feel of the drive of these special cars. Now that the big V8 and the big luxury Cadillac sedan is on the outs, I am really glad I did, for they do not make them much longer. I have my two (2) and the engines have a onetime cure for the problem of the blown head gasket!

When and if my other 2001 Deville with only 68,000 miles has a blown head gasket, as I am sure it will happen, there is no question it will be repaired with a 100% fix using the SureGrip Head Stud Kit and have the ride I like for years to come, as they do not these cars any longer.

If you do not want to do the installation yourself and you want a precision job, talk to your Cadillac Dealership and let them know there are maybe over 15 other Cadillac Dealers in the country that are already installing the SureGrip Head Stud Kits to repair blown head gaskets and overheating Northstar engines. The instructions are straight forwarded and detailed. NorthstarPerformance.com is there to answer any installation questions.

Does it sound like I am selling? You bet I am. I need my Northstar engines to last until I am no longer driving and I want the small business man that keeps them running to be in business. It sure is not GMs repair design that is keeping my engines in good repair for years to come!

It is Jake and his company www.NorthstarPerformance.com that designed and continues to perfect and improve the SureGrip Head Stud Kit. It was the Best $550 I ever spent on my, not made anymore, 2001 Deville.

I am happy, Crest Cadillac of Plano, Texas is happy, and we appreciate Jake for his design, product, and support!

We need to support those that support the longer life of our Northstar Cadillacs.

I truly have a BetterNorthstar!

98eldo32v
11-18-10, 04:01 AM
Outstanding post!!!! Truly enjoy your car.........

maeng9981
11-18-10, 04:40 AM
:welcome: from a member from Dallas!!

Crest Cadillac uses stud kits? That's a new and valued info!!!!!! I know for a fact that everyone in Crest Cadillac Plano is really helpful and friendly.

miwise
11-18-10, 01:30 PM
I too Am a firm believer in the stud kit. I did mine myself and it runs great now. I live in Lafayette la. Heads remanufactured by Cajun cylinder head shop and they were beautiful when I got them back. Very reasonably priced here in la. There are a lot of these head failures here in louisianas hot humid climate. Jake saved my car from the junk yard.

BetterNorthstar
11-20-10, 02:30 PM
My wish is GM PowerTrain would finally make the proven 100% fix with the SureGrip Head Studs the recommended repair and get away from the TimeSert and bolts failings.

It will only take a little more time and the continued proven success of the SureGrip Stud Kits, and posts like these, that get GM Power Train Department to come to the good side officially! I know they will, it just takes time and as I will have our two (2) 2001 Devilles until the wheels come off, time is on our side. I will just keep reminding GM Power Train, there is a better way. They already know it, they just need to say it!!

Cheers!

loosheads
11-21-10, 03:12 PM
To the impressive article above. I ask instead of GM looking at a repaire why not re engineer their engines to ise a coarser thread as the stud is. But there is another repair it uses the same idea as the studs because the stud system is for race cars. But this other repair is in Toronto by a machinist not a back yard non licensed mechanic. If you would like the other repair please reply to this message. The other repair is out way before the Langton Ontario Jake studs. It was created by the mechinist and been proving itself for years. This repair was originally created for the warranty company.

Submariner409
11-21-10, 03:38 PM
Cylinder block (head) studs are used in everything from Volkswagens to aircraft engines and anything in between - they are in no way restricted to "race engines". I use ARP studs in my marine Olds 455 engine building business.

There are at least a dozen or more companies which make many types of aluminum and ferrous bolt thread repair inserts. Helicoil has been around forever, and the various machined/threaded inserts (recommended for aluminum work) include several examples of deeper/coarser thread engagement - common.

Jake's studs have it all: deeper, coarser block threads for long-term strength and fine upper threads for precise torque control and clamping pressure from the head nuts and washers.

jedhead
11-21-10, 03:51 PM
Cadillac must have made some changes to the headgasket and method of bolting the heads to the block to keep from blowing head gaskets in the supercharged N* LC3 engine. I know the LC3 uses MLS (multi layer steel) head gaskets to improve cylinder sealing. Can the changes made be incorporated in the 4.6L N*?

Bob

Ranger
11-21-10, 04:11 PM
To the impressive article above. I ask instead of GM looking at a repaire why not re engineer their engines to ise a coarser thread as the stud is. But there is another repair it uses the same idea as the studs because the stud system is for race cars. But this other repair is in Toronto by a machinist not a back yard non licensed mechanic. If you would like the other repair please reply to this message. The other repair is out way before the Langton Ontario Jake studs. It was created by the mechinist and been proving itself for years. This repair was originally created for the warranty company.

You are not telling us anything we do not already know. You're talking about Norm's inserts. I suspect you ARE Norm. :welcome: No one here ever knocked your inserts. In fact they have been equally recommended. Your somewhat disparaging comments seem a rather underhanded and political mud slinging style of dealing with your competition. Very unprofessional. Your comments speak volumes. It leads me to believe that you see something to fear in Jake's studs and actually do him more good than harm in my mind.

Submariner409
11-21-10, 04:33 PM
Found this on the internet..........it appears that Norm is in PA, not Toronto.

Norm Huhn, 1110 Graystone Rd., Manheim PA 17545
www.HuhnSolutions.com

His inserts, like the Timesert, use the OEM GM head bolts.

97EldoCoupe
11-21-10, 10:14 PM
Ranger, I know who loosheads is. He has a 1999 Deville with head gasket issues, and one of the blocks that GM let slip through their plant that has the bolt holes drilled too deep. He is not the original owner, has paid $300 for the car recently and plans to sue the pants of General Motors for their mistake back in 1999. I simply refuse to support this.

It does not matter what that company in Toronto has produced there is NO way it can beat my studs unless they're sending bolts right through the bottom end of the engine- and that is impossible. I have thought of every possible way to secure the heads down on a Northstar and short of welding the heads directly to the block (which wouldn't work anyways) or having bolts/nuts pass through from inside the crankcase, there simply isn't a better way.

I'm not trying to insult any other machinist's work, at all, I know there are forms of threaded inserts that work, but threaded inserts still mean you're dealing with more than one thread interface. I know for a fact _orms have been cracking the blocks, especially on 2000+ engines. _orms, in the correct application, will work flawlessly. We're dealing with aluminum castings here, and GM's shotty head bolt design. They're too long (length would not be an issue if it were a stud originally) and springy to achieve accurate torque readings, the threads are too fine, they're too thin,

Inserts expand. Do you want horizontal expansion of an insert inside a bolt hole in cast aluminum? NO!

I know there's still people and will always be people who will opt for inserts, heli-coils, and the like, because they're cheaper and doesn't change GM's engineering design. Or does it? GM never designed the engine for use with inserts. If you're going to modify it by installing inserts you've already changed it from original specs regardless if you use OEM head bolts again.

Cost. The kits I'm selling are priced at $549.00. Shipping on average costs me between $40 and $50, these are 15 lb. boxes. Nobody needs to buy new head bolts when they purchase my kit- there's some money saved back. On top of this you are guaranteed the best fix - 1 year warranty against threads pulling / cracked blocks caused by the studs. Insert companies will not care at all whether your engine cracks or not, once they've sold the kit, once they've sold the serts, they have their money. I ensure the best repair is out there and available to Cadillac owners and stand behind it 100%.

_orms does not include any extensively designed tooling or fixtures. The threading block he sells is held with one OEM head bolt that utilizes a tall spacer to hold it down. This gets in the way for tapping. He does not sell a drill guide for accurate, straight drilling. Not to my knowledge. My kit includes one that is .375" thick, CNC plasma cut with machined drilling/tapping guides precision welded in place. Now the drilling/tapping jig is self-centering, which will increase accuracy and save time. This created a $28.00 cost in each kit, but pricing will not increase.

I'm in this for the long haul. This means upgrading tooling whenever I can to increase speed and accuracy, ensuring the studs are machined to close tolerances and hardened to the correct RC. Threads are currently being cold rolled after heat treating. This increases strength a lot (as well as my costs).

I know what that engine company in Toronto claims but I do not believe their products to repair the bolt holes will surpass, or even meet mine.

97EldoCoupe
11-21-10, 10:28 PM
My advice to you, loosheads, if you have plans to sue General Motors, do so before you repair your car. Where's the evidence once it's fixed? I'd recommend a very good law firm in the United States but between my patent applications and my speeding ticket in NY State, they're pretty busy these days.....

GM and their Harvard educated lawyers with $500,000 annual incomes, would take one quick look at your lawsuit and tell you that you don't have a leg to stand on. As I told you. If you were the original owner and this happened within, or just out of, the warranty period, you may have some credible grounds to sue. Then, and only then, would you be looking at a new engine installed at GM's expense, or at the most, a reimbursement of the original sticker price of the car, and not a dime more than that.

Fix it and drive it or sell it, and be done with it.

Ranger
11-21-10, 10:39 PM
Well, if he's not Norm, he sure came across like he was.

He doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell. He'll run out of money long before GM will. Even if he did win, he'll spend 20K (or more) to win an 8K engine replacement.

97EldoCoupe
11-21-10, 11:21 PM
Yeah pretty much. I had his car on the schedule list. You can only stand to hear the words "I'm going to sue GM" so many times before you get tired of it. I don't need the headaches.

If the vehicle lasts 10 years before it needs head gaskets, in my book that's not really that bad.

I can see from post #6 that loosheads and I will get along just fine :)

Submariner409
11-21-10, 11:51 PM
Yeah pretty much. I had his car on the schedule list. You can only stand to hear the words "I'm going to sue GM" so many times before you get tired of it. I don't need the headaches. If the vehicle lasts 10 years before it needs head gaskets, in my book that's not really that bad. I can see from post #6 that loosheads and I will get along just fine :)

Jake - Pour a cup of coffee and clear out your mailbox. :lildevil:

edb150
11-21-10, 11:57 PM
Ranger, I know who loosheads is. He has a 1999 Deville with head gasket issues, and one of the blocks that GM let slip through their plant that has the bolt holes drilled too deep. He is not the original owner, has paid $300 for the car recently and plans to sue the pants of General Motors for their mistake back in 1999. I simply refuse to support this.

It does not matter what that company in Toronto has produced there is NO way it can beat my studs unless they're sending bolts right through the bottom end of the engine- and that is impossible. I have thought of every possible way to secure the heads down on a Northstar and short of welding the heads directly to the block (which wouldn't work anyways) or having bolts/nuts pass through from inside the crankcase, there simply isn't a better way.

I'm not trying to insult any other machinist's work, at all, I know there are forms of threaded inserts that work, but threaded inserts still mean you're dealing with more than one thread interface. I know for a fact _orms have been cracking the blocks, especially on 2000+ engines. _orms, in the correct application, will work flawlessly. We're dealing with aluminum castings here, and GM's shotty head bolt design. They're too long (length would not be an issue if it were a stud originally) and springy to achieve accurate torque readings, the threads are too fine, they're too thin,

Inserts expand. Do you want horizontal expansion of an insert inside a bolt hole in cast aluminum? NO!

I know there's still people and will always be people who will opt for inserts, heli-coils, and the like, because they're cheaper and doesn't change GM's engineering design. Or does it? GM never designed the engine for use with inserts. If you're going to modify it by installing inserts you've already changed it from original specs regardless if you use OEM head bolts again.

Cost. The kits I'm selling are priced at $549.00. Shipping on average costs me between $40 and $50, these are 15 lb. boxes. Nobody needs to buy new head bolts when they purchase my kit- there's some money saved back. On top of this you are guaranteed the best fix - 1 year warranty against threads pulling / cracked blocks caused by the studs. Insert companies will not care at all whether your engine cracks or not, once they've sold the kit, once they've sold the serts, they have their money. I ensure the best repair is out there and available to Cadillac owners and stand behind it 100%.

_orms does not include any extensively designed tooling or fixtures. The threading block he sells is held with one OEM head bolt that utilizes a tall spacer to hold it down. This gets in the way for tapping. He does not sell a drill guide for accurate, straight drilling. Not to my knowledge. My kit includes one that is .375" thick, CNC plasma cut with machined drilling/tapping guides precision welded in place. Now the drilling/tapping jig is self-centering, which will increase accuracy and save time. This created a $28.00 cost in each kit, but pricing will not increase.

I'm in this for the long haul. This means upgrading tooling whenever I can to increase speed and accuracy, ensuring the studs are machined to close tolerances and hardened to the correct RC. Threads are currently being cold rolled after heat treating. This increases strength a lot (as well as my costs).

I know what that engine company in Toronto claims but I do not believe their products to repair the bolt holes will surpass, or even meet mine.I am by no means attempting to argue any points with you jake but there is indeed a drill jig with the fixture and as far as the inserts expanding thats impossible. The threads are the same design as yours 5/8 11 nc. Only a pipe thread would expand and its definately not a pipe thread. Do date ( 11-19 2010) I have completed 40 hg jobs. I have seen 6 cracked blocks on 2000 up blocks. 3 of the cars were never worked on and 3 inserted. I do not believe it has anything to do with the inserts but will be suregripping all 2000 up cars from now on to see what happens.we are currently doing one with that kit you sent me. All the blocks are cracked below the thread depth and NOT near the insert.Its definately not insert related and if anyone has examined more than 6 blocks as I have than please speak up. The blocks are simply weaker than the earlier ones. The studs appear to thread to a shallower length than the factory threads and inserts so they may pull on a different area of the block and it may be the cure and if so then should be done on all 2000 + cars regardless of hg issues . I am not trying to scare owners of 2000+ cars but the fact of the matter is i have 3 cracked blocks that human hands never touched. Furthermore,I helped another shop owner with an 04 with pulled threads so what on the horizon for us? You may need me to stock studkits like you talked about Jake because we may be very busy for a long long time. I am currently moving my shop to a bigger facility to accomidate more cars and increase turnaround time. I am simply overwhelmed with work. thankfully the new shop is only a block away.Read more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2423316&ktrack=kcplinkRead more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2423316&ktrack=kcplink

ThumperPup
11-22-10, 12:05 AM
Found this on the internet..........it appears that Norm is in PA, not Toronto.

Norm Huhn, 1110 Graystone Rd., Manheim PA 17545
www.HuhnSolutions.com

His inserts, like the Timesert, use the OEM GM head bolts.

yup Norm is in PA not CA
i talked ot him back in April just before i had my heads doen first

now im 21k on the engine since the HG's where doen and the head gaskets are still good not leaking and those where with norms inserts
if it had not been for the block cracking i wouldnt have to be doing it again right now

but with the new block and now that i have to put in all this money again i say you know im going this way now

just another week till i drop my baby off at the shop for the work

97EldoCoupe
11-22-10, 01:20 AM
Sorry Jim, will clear out my mailbox in 2 minutes....

97EldoCoupe
11-22-10, 05:14 PM
Yup- I am now aware of what my competition is doing. Studs are still WAYYYYY better.

EyeKandy- if you're around, I want to discuss something with you.......sorry my friend I've been so busy lately -

Level 2, Round 1......

eyekandyboats.inc
11-22-10, 06:42 PM
i am around i still have the same number, i assume you dont any more.
let me know email me. plus i have some stuff i want to pick your brian at
705 331 2591
eyekandyboats19@aol . com

Pete1996
11-23-10, 09:22 AM
The way to do this is with a class action suit not as individuals. The fact is that GM should have issued a recall and fixed the problem. Since they have not been required to - they still have not really fixed the issue as it is clear that 2000- cars still have problems. Gross oil consumption, blown head gaskets, and cracked blocks are unacceptable. Perhaps if they spent less on lawyers they could put enough into engineering to get it right. They ought to reverse engineer the competition if they have to, to see what is required. Obviously, GM engineering can't get it right on their own. LOL, I would not be surprised if they have retired or layed off the engineers who really knew the design.
Class actions suits do provide some leverage and have worked against Gateway computers, Apple, and many others. Not saying that I would have anything to do with starting such a suit, just that perhaps some hot shot lawyer with a blown Northstar might or one of these law firms known for starting nuisance suits - not that this is one.

My advice to you, loosheads, if you have plans to sue General Motors, do so before you repair your car. Where's the evidence once it's fixed? I'd recommend a very good law firm in the United States but between my patent applications and my speeding ticket in NY State, they're pretty busy these days.....

GM and their Harvard educated lawyers with $500,000 annual incomes, would take one quick look at your lawsuit and tell you that you don't have a leg to stand on. As I told you. If you were the original owner and this happened within, or just out of, the warranty period, you may have some credible grounds to sue. Then, and only then, would you be looking at a new engine installed at GM's expense, or at the most, a reimbursement of the original sticker price of the car, and not a dime more than that.

Fix it and drive it or sell it, and be done with it.

loosheads
11-23-10, 10:49 AM
You are not telling us anything we do not already know. You're talking about Norm's inserts. I suspect you ARE Norm. :welcome: No one here ever knocked your inserts. In fact they have been equally recommended. Your somewhat disparaging comments seem a rather underhanded and political mud slinging style of dealing with your competition. Very unprofessional. Your comments speak volumes. It leads me to believe that you see something to fear in Jake's studs and actually do him more good than harm in my mind.

No sir I am not Norm. I am just a caddi owner who has done research in looking for a great repair. I mean no harm to Jake matter of fact I think he has a good idea. the reason I state this is for racing engines is because Cadillac has to fix the problem from the block up. Owners always looking for a repair is not a proper fix. In mass production assemly lines find studs difficult to handle that is why they use bolts. Also the fix I mentioned is deeper and coarser and has proven itself for years. Making a different gasket is not the problem unless you are gluing the engine together you have to hold the head down from the factory. In closing I thought this site was to inlighten all caddi owners. Not just stud guys.

loosheads
11-23-10, 11:01 AM
The way to do this is with a class action suit not as individuals. The fact is that GM should have issued a recall and fixed the problem. Since they have not been required to - they still have not really fixed the issue as it is clear that 2000- cars still have problems. Gross oil consumption, blown head gaskets, and cracked blocks are unacceptable. Perhaps if they spent less on lawyers they could put enough into engineering to get it right. They ought to reverse engineer the competition if they have to, to see what is required. Obviously, GM engineering can't get it right on their own. LOL, I would not be surprised if they have retired or layed off the engineers who really knew the design.
Class actions suits do provide some leverage and have worked against Gateway computers, Apple, and many others. Not saying that I would have anything to do with starting such a suit, just that perhaps some hot shot lawyer with a blown Northstar might or one of these law firms known for starting nuisance suits - not that this is one.

Jake I do not know what you are talking about. I am not who you think I am but I do guess you have a few unhappy customers the way you are talking. I mean no harm but to let other Cadillac owners know of all their options. I did not know this site is only for Jake to advertise on and not let people know of other fixes. No I ahave no intentions of suing GM or anyone else. Also the problem is with the car not the original owner. On this site there may be some original owners of caddis but I would be willing to bet most are not. Most original owners of Caddis only own them for a few years befor the problems start. Have a great day Jake and good luck in Manitoba.

loosheads
11-23-10, 11:11 AM
Thank you edb150 I have been hearing the same kind of results from other builders in the 2000 and up. Why when Caddi has the old problem would they add to it by casting a weaker block. I thought the at the new Caddi prices they would get it right. Aluminum may be lighter but if they can't make it work in a $60,000 car why use it. I rather have a few more pounds on my already heavy caddi and make it out of the old cast iron. I know this will not happen so the caddi engineers I would hope after all these years make it right.

loosheads
11-23-10, 11:18 AM
Thank you pete1996 you are correct no one person can fight GM but if a lot gettogether a customer can help fix the design. If the guy in Toronto can come up with his fix and Jake can come up with his. How come GM with like you said with all the lawyers and engineers can't come up with their fix. Also Caddi has been puttiong out a substandard engine in the way it is put together and not learning their lesson. GM does replace engines in Cadillacs under the 9086 customer satisfaction recall but only if they expect the customer may buy another one.

Submariner409
11-23-10, 11:23 AM
I mean no harm but to let other Cadillac owners know of all their options. I did not know this site is only for Jake to advertise on and not let people know of other fixes.

Cadillac Forums (the site) is full of individual threads which allow individuals to offer opinion and ask advice: This thread was started specifically to address the stud kits manufactured by Northstar Performance of Canada. There are hundreds of other threads that are of interest to Cadillac owners and that "let people know of other fixes".

Matter of fact, a bit of searching in Engines: Northstar Performance will uncover many threads about Norm's Inserts and Timeserts, and they were here long before Jake appeared on the horizon. ..............and, FWIW, some shops have used ARP studs with both types of inserts. I may be a bit off track, but there's a Volkswagen stud that will work in an original Northstar head bolt hole.

Ranger
11-23-10, 12:14 PM
Class action suits make lawyers richer. The people represented get squat.

Aluminum may be lighter but if they can't make it work in a $60,000 car why use it. I rather have a few more pounds on my already heavy caddi and make it out of the old cast iron.
AMEN! As God intended motors to be made.

Submariner409
11-23-10, 12:48 PM
. :worship: AMEN! As God intended motors to be made.

True, BUT in our cases, what would the handling characteristics be for a 4,500# FWD vehicle with a weight distribution of 70/30, front/rear ?? Our cars are already 60/40 and at about 4,000# no one could argue that they aren't already heavy in the front end.

As an example of front end weight problems, go back to the old FWD Toronado which used a 455 Olds iron block. It was a true mushmobile. The front end plowed as well as a John Deere.

loosheads
11-23-10, 01:37 PM
I guess I brought out some anger in someone.
I will be getting my car back within a week. I will let you guys know how it goes.
I am not sure of the anger and problem on the nerv I hit but I hit one.
I have not ever heard of Norm. What is the name of Norms shop I may check his system out for future use.

loosheads
11-23-10, 01:58 PM
That is true the handling would be different maybe that engineering GM could handle.
What is good handling if the vehicle is parked in the yard with head bolt falling out of it.
Also this thread was said to be started to discuss Jakes studs but what is a discussion if it has only one opinion.

True, BUT in our cases, what would the handling characteristics be for a 4,500# FWD vehicle with a weight distribution of 70/30, front/rear ?? Our cars are already 60/40 and at about 4,000# no one could argue that they aren't already heavy in the front end.

As an example of front end weight problems, go back to the old FWD Toronado which used a 455 Olds iron block. It was a true mushmobile. The front end plowed as well as a John Deere.

RippyPartsDept
11-23-10, 02:15 PM
cry me a river looseheads ... N* cadillacs aren't the only cars that get parked due to the owner not being able to afford the fix

what is your opinion then? you said you did all the research, then had never heard of Norms?

and you're not really making sense regarding the iron block issue... i'm pretty sure GM looked long and hard at that question decades ago

Submariner409
11-23-10, 06:15 PM
I have not ever heard of Norm. What is the name of Norms shop I may check his system out for future use.

Do you have trouble reading and understanding the King's English ???

Go to Post #10.

RippyPartsDept
11-23-10, 06:40 PM
:histeric:

ThumperPup
11-23-10, 07:19 PM
:cheers::cheers::drink2:

anyone wana join me with a beer and popcorn im gona sit back and watch this one go lol

ohhhhhh heyyyyy looseheads
oh never mind i was gona say soemthing but go check out post 10 lol

RippyPartsDept
11-23-10, 10:50 PM
20 goto 10

loosheads
11-25-10, 10:46 AM
Ok guys done slamming me. All cadillac owners should know the options in fixing this problem.
I have lots of money to fix my car I just want it done correctly. Unlike the other guy he does not park his customer cars in the farm field instead of fixing it. The fix in Toronto is his own fix not Norms inserts like you guys seem to be hooked on. The Toronto fix Tony has developed a way to sleeve the block. He does warranty work and created this for GM extended warranty. Jake knows who Tony is because he calls him to try to get information out of him. Matter of fact Jake made him a cold call just a few days after I started telling you guys this information. He has been using this system for over 13 years. He only does the repair himself and does not sent out kits.

The name of his web site is www.expertengines.com Also he fixes the problem that is why he does 15 engines a month. He does not have a flashy web site but the web site does not fix engines.

I ask why did Jake move to Manitoba so fast leaving customers stuck after already towing their cars to him. Then now he asks them to tow them again maybe this is why his customers in Ontario are not happy. This is real professional business is it.

ThumperPup
11-25-10, 11:36 AM
He gave evyerone warnings he was moving with more then ample time to iethere choose to move there cars agian or to pick them up i bet
since we all knew he was moving and opening up a new shop way before he did acutlay do the move if you had read things in here you wouldhave known
why

maybe we will stop slamming you if you stop slamming others

im shure jake is always wanting ot learn what others do and just talk about what is going on and how he does his work and all thats probably why he called probably to see
if any failurs to date and other info

97EldoCoupe
11-25-10, 02:08 PM
I keep an eye on my competition, I called expert engines because I knew Rob (looseheads) that you were going to start something. Thats the kind of guy you are. I told Tony at expertengines to watch out for you and even though he's my competition I still don't want anyone to have to tolerate the likes of you.

FYI , I have another shop rented for now in Ontario. Yeah- for 1.5 years I worked out of a barn- steel roof, steel siding, good smooth concrete floor. 40x80'. I didn't rent a shop with huge overhead and a flashy store front. People come to me because I take care and pride in my work.

I have 5 cars waiting in Ontario to
Finish. I promised the owners I would do them before I left. I have 7 in Manitoba. I could have told my Ontario customers, time has run out I cant do your car. But I didn't. Delayed yes, but not abandoned. Oh and guess what, they are all sitting inside on concrete. Not in a frigging farmers field.

97EldoCoupe
11-25-10, 02:15 PM
I'm glad you think my website is flashy. I designed most of it. It is a long ways from done, because I too spend most of my time working. Christmas last year was slow. I let my hands heal and wrote code for the site.

97EldoCoupe
11-25-10, 02:20 PM
My place in Manitoba is also a farm. Submariner has seen the real estate listing. Because my dream is to work out of my own shop, close to or at home, and have a place out in the country, I cannot live this dream because I need to work in the city and pay high taxes, to look professional? How
Much room does Tony have for parts cars? I have room now for 100+. I have 15-20 parts cars and those are MINE. If I choose to park those in a field I have all the right to do so. Customers cars, have always been parked on gravel or indoors.

jimsbox
11-25-10, 03:05 PM
By the way the most popular fix doesn't use ANY inserts but rather studs to fix the head gasket issues...

Maybe more reading less criticizing is in order.

97EldoCoupe
11-25-10, 04:33 PM
I agree Jimsbox. I don't care if there is a new guy making more inserts, or doing HGs- I can't do them all anyways- I just don't like what Rob (Loosheads) is trying to do. He's out for revenge since I rejected fixing his Caddy.

jimsbox
11-25-10, 05:37 PM
Yes, unfortunately you can't please everyone all the time but he's stirring the pot and doesn't even know the facts. Noone on this forum that I have read is pushing studs or Norms inserts or Time serts for that matter. There is honest discord as to how each performs and the studs seem to have more popular support but not due to some concerted effort by the moderators or anyone else and those accusations/inmsinuations are insulting to a group of people that are mutually supporting each other.

98eldo32v
11-25-10, 05:38 PM
Gentlemen, gentlemen.....

Enough mudslinging.

Jake, for one (I personally) wouldn't be justifying anything that I'm doing especially when I'm helping out others!!!

You've been around these northstars enough to know the in's and out's of them. You've gone as far as scooping up the last if the gm inventory on the parts and engines. Who the hell is doing that around here UNLESS you're serious about what you're doing.

I will commend you on the fact that you're "weeding" out the "problem" customers because that is going to save you a LOT of trouble in the long run. A 1500-2500 repair shouldn't turn into a "Damn I should have never gotten involved with this person" nose bleed?! You can please SOME of the people, some of the time. You can't please ALL the people, ALL of the time.

There will be those that will continue to believe in the "inserts" technique. Yes, pertaining to these motors gather all the information possible for the repair. Yet, after you have all the information, MAKE A WISE DECISION. Are you planning to keep the car? Are you planning to re sell it? Are you trying to fix it with the BEST repair solution available at this time?

Of course, it may boil down to money. Yet, if you think I'm about to drop a cradle or yank this motor out through the top. Tear it apart, go through the time of drilling out the bolt holes and put in something that MIGHT fail again, over a few dollars, then I'M STUPID AND TOO CHEAP and DESERVE to do the job again. KNOWING that there is a repair that's almost bulletproof.

Why do you think there is a BIG SERT kit? THE FIRST ONES OBVIOUSLY DON'T HOLD UP?! Stop the madness folks.

At present time, the stud kit is the only way to go. It's the most advanced repair that works. Studs have been around for ages for race engines. If they can hold a race engine together, then your northstar should be no problem either.

No one should be upset with whoever came up with the idea. Everyone should be at least glad that there is a repair for this FACTORY FLAW.

If there weren't advancements in car technology, we'd still be up front HAND CRANKING the engines over to start........

Happy Thanksgiving everyone........(98eldo32v)

ThumperPup
11-25-10, 06:09 PM
Jake you don't owe anyone aspecialy looseheads and explination for anyting
your great at what you do you have the best product on the Market you and most of us all know it
who cares was some person thinks you owe no one anyting you do it because you love these cars

loosheads stop it being a child
jake ownes his company he has the right to reject your car and your business just like a bar can choose to stop serving you when they think your drunk enough
well your preat darn drunk here
what im trying to say is
your trying to bad mouth jakes kit to all of us and it aint gona work because we know what its about word of mouth seeing it work in person and recomondations from others who have the kit
so he was tired of dealing with what could have turned out to be a worst pain in the but then he needed great he has that right to recject you and your caddy
so just stop it man

BetterNorthstar
11-25-10, 10:05 PM
I would love to think GM PowerTrain is monitoring the fixes for the Northstar Head Gasket failures for the TimeSerts and bolts fixes are not the sure fix of the SureGrip Head Stud Kit!!

Is there anyone that has made contact with the GM PowerTrain Department in regard to a permanent fix for the head gasket failings, with same solutions we have found??

Does anyone know of a good GM PowerTrain contact that we can address this with and see what they feel GM'sr future positions is with the new available product that will fix the head gasket problem? The SureGrip Head Stud Kit.

If we know of a person to start with great, let us know, if not we will have to just find them and contact them direct, cold.

I am the original owner of my two (2) 2001 Devilles, and GM PowerTrain Department needs to help me keep them running for many years to come and TimeSerts are not going to cut it!

If we cannot come up with a GM PowerTrain person name, I bet we can research and find a name.

Who knows somebody??

97EldoCoupe
11-25-10, 10:23 PM
Thank you all. I don't want to refuse repairing anyones car- and yes some people have been more patient with me than I deserve because of this move. But after the comments Loosheads has made I am happy with my choice of refusing to repair his car. He proved that I was right about what i thought his attitude would be. I would rather have been wrong.

Pete1996
11-26-10, 12:26 PM
Are you going to answer my question about authorized repair people in the North East USA?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/209952-if-you-new-england-you-have.html#post2419771
Or just bad mouth the one place that owes you some money?
I'm tired of hearing about how great your system is when you don't even answer a simple
question.
This thread sounds like an advertisement for you - we get it your repair works reliably, however I don't believe that it is the *only* one. I want to research my options and make an informed decision.

RippyPartsDept
11-26-10, 12:54 PM
Ever since we realized the regular TimeSerts weren't working we've used the BigSert TimeSerts and have only seen one come back out of the thousands that we've done (and that was due to a bad block - we think).

I think the rate of failure on the BigSerts that some people are seeing is due to installation error (or just inexperience) ... Jake's stud kit is great and probably the best thing for a DIY job, but if you've got an experienced shop using the BigSerts you probably won't have any problems.

ThumperPup
11-26-10, 03:23 PM
Are you going to answer my question about authorized repair people in the North East USA?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/209952-if-you-new-england-you-have.html#post2419771
I'm tired of hearing about how great your system is when you don't even answer a simple
question.
This thread sounds like an advertisement for you - we get it your repair works reliably, however I don't believe that it is the *only* one. I want to research my options and make an informed decision.

hey um its not the only fix but it is what seems to be known as the best fix right now because the failure rait is way below any other failure rate out there

this is a word of mouth product im sure jake calls around to as many shops as he can to rep his product maybe something jake might want to do is find a Rep from the Forum or someone in the forum that might like to rep the studs for him and go around to shops in there area intorduce the stud to them and then maybe make a comision on eveyr stud kit that that shop buys perhaps
but that is totaly up to jake im sure he has probably even though of it but
why not just call a shop up and ask them tell them about the product and see if they are willing to do it

ThumperPup
11-26-10, 03:26 PM
Ever since we realized the regular TimeSerts weren't working we've used the BigSert TimeSerts and have only seen one come back out of the thousands that we've done (and that was due to a bad block - we think).

I think the rate of failure on the BigSerts that some people are seeing is due to installation error (or just inexperience) ... Jake's stud kit is great and probably the best thing for a DIY job, but if you've got an experienced shop using the BigSerts you probably won't have any problems.

Hey Rippy maybe im wrong and you can explain to me
i always thout the big sirts where there to replace the timeserts if they ahd ot have it doen a second time because we all know the regulare time serts where just a time bomb to fail soon again
and then i thout the big sirts where to fix the problem because they cant drill a smaller whole so they have to drill a hole a bit bigger in the engine am i wrong?

97EldoCoupe
11-26-10, 04:07 PM
question.

I've just about had it. Doesn't anyone understand that during this move I barely have any time to sleep? I'm trying to run a shop and keep customers as happy as I can while setting up a shop some 1200 miles away.

I am holding interviews for a receptionist within the next 5 days so that people DO get answers to questions like this.

Until further notice my office is closed.

Excuse me - what would you do if a shop owed you $650 for well over 100 days, makes no effort to pay, and then you're expected to refer people to them? Even $50 would be an effort! Why should I send him customers and why would I trust sending him customers- if I can't trust him I can't refer him.

97EldoCoupe
11-26-10, 04:18 PM
And for reference I did NOT start this thread. This was started by a customer of mine who has, without a dime in his pocket from me, tried to help me promote this method to GM. I appreciate his efforts - I really do- he loves his two Devilles, I'm glad I've helped him to save the one (and possibly in the future, the other).

I don't know if anyone realizes this or not but I seem to get a rope tied around my neck on these forums a lot. Yes, I run a business. I don't do all of this just for the profit - I love what I do. It's a dream, it's a hobby, it's a job. It's frustrating, it's rewarding, and it has come to occupy most of my time.

If I don't answer everyone's questions I apologize I'm so busy. You know where to buy the kit, if you want it, find a shop that's willing to do the work. Unfortunately I don't have any listed for your area right now.

RippyPartsDept
11-26-10, 04:38 PM
Pup,

You're right, the BigSerts were meant to fix TimeSerts that pulled out. Once we realized that regular TimeSerts had a failure rate that was unacceptable (since we had to eat the costs when those cars came back) we switched over to BigSerts and didn't look back.

Yes, when you use BigSerts there's no other option if they fail, but like I said we haven't seen any fail (but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that our guy has done thousands of HG jobs).

In the end there weren't that many cars that had the TimeSerts fail, but we could see that if a couple out of every hundred failed that wasn't a good enough success rate - so we switched to the BigSerts and they seem to hold up just fine.

97EldoCoupe
11-26-10, 06:41 PM
Chris I'm glad you've had the luck with them so far - please bear in mind that should big-serts ever fail in your service dept, my studs will still fix that block. I am willing to back that with a guarantee. I've seen quite a few blocks already with big-serts pulled. Contact me for a special price should this (Heaven forbid) ever happen. Happy turkey-day my friend-

Pete1996
11-26-10, 07:02 PM
Wow, you seem to misread or read into things. I'm going to avoid that shop based on your report - I did listen to what you said. I asked for another shop not to fix your relationship with the other one.

I am aware that you did not start this thread, however it still sounds like an advertisement implying that it is the only 100% solution. Not enough controlled testing has been done to be certain of anything in my opinion.
I would certainly like to see GM come up with an effective solution. I'd probably vote for yours or Norm's and I'd like to see them use it for new cars not just to repair their engineering error.

Anyway, as I said, I just want to determine the best/easiest way to get our car fixed.
I don't want to buy the kit and find a shop, rather I want a shop that has a good working relationship with you and has already done at least a few cars. OK, so finally we have determined that there are no such shops in my area - fine, that answers my question.

97EldoCoupe
11-26-10, 07:25 PM
I wish I could be more help Pete. Sorry I've been a little on edge lately. I'll see if I can find the contact info for the guy in CT - if I can I will PM you with it -

RippyPartsDept
11-26-10, 07:28 PM
Chris I'm glad you've had the luck with them so far - please bear in mind that should big-serts ever fail in your service dept, my studs will still fix that block. I am willing to back that with a guarantee. I've seen quite a few blocks already with big-serts pulled. Contact me for a special price should this (Heaven forbid) ever happen. Happy turkey-day my friend-

i didn't know that... i'll definitely pass that on
i've been talking to our guy and he's hesitant to do anything but what he already knows works,
but if we ever have one that comes back i'll see if we can get your kit to fix it

i'm fairly sure that if done correctly the bigserts will hold (but getting done correctly without error is the hard part)
even the experts will mess up now and then

RippyPartsDept
11-26-10, 07:33 PM
I would certainly like to see GM come up with an effective solution. I'd probably vote for yours or Norm's and I'd like to see them uknowse it for new cars not just to repair their engineering error.

Anyway, as I said, I just want to determine the best/easiest way to get our car fixed.

first, best is not always easiest (usually best is never the easiest) ... but that's beside the point and you probably know this and i'm just being anal about your choice of words (or lack of choice)

as far as we know the 2005+ (or is it 2004+?) N* engines haven't had head gasket problems (there may be one or two here and there but nothing like before)
of course those engines aren't that old yet and we'll have to wait some more to be sure
but i'm fairly certain that this is no longer a problem

kdcing
11-26-10, 10:42 PM
Wow, you seem to misread or read into things.

Pete,

You have got to be kidding.....you direct the following words to Jake:

"Or just bad mouth the one place that owes you some money?
question.
This thread sounds like an advertisement for you..."

and then you assert the Jake misreads or reads into things. You, my friend, are way off base on this one. If you directed those words towards me - and then assert that I misread or read into things - I would definitely fly off the handle.

Jake has gone out of his way to show courtesy and respect towards customers, even in difficult situations on this forum....because he runs a business and a passon....this is understandable. I have used examples of Jake's customer service when dealing with my own customers (in a totally different, non-automotive field). Seeing the unreasonablle, buttmunch anticks of you and Loosnuts is appalling.

Pete1996
11-27-10, 12:47 AM
Look Kdcing, I am trying to possibly give him business and he doesn't even answer the question as to where to get good service with his parts - what part of this are you missing?
If you don't get it then you can't read. No I am just stating the facts, he doesn't need you to be his cheerleading squad.
Don't associate me with this other guy.

Ah, this is the internet is there an ignore button on this forum? LOL!!!

Pete1996
11-27-10, 12:50 AM
I wish I could be more help Pete. Sorry I've been a little on edge lately. I'll see if I can find the contact info for the guy in CT - if I can I will PM you with it -

Moving is a major stress factor so I can understand. Thanks for looking into the CT guy.

loosheads
11-27-10, 10:58 AM
Yes I do Jake and after 4 deadlines you asked me to come pick up my car.
I did not come on here to say anything about you.
You posted every thing about yourself.
I came on to let others know of other fixes and you attacked me.
You don't like it as stated in the excuse me above owe you money but it is ok when you cost a customer money in towing to your shop.

97EldoCoupe
11-27-10, 12:01 PM
It's your fault I did not begin working on that car.