: can steering wheel 'icons' become 'faded' ?

SHOWGIRL
11-17-10, 04:56 PM
Hello - we're new owners of a 2010 DTS -used ...the icon on the left side of the steering wheel to 'start' the cruise-control seems much less 'bright' in appearance than the other icons sitting above it on the same side of the steering wheel ..almost 'faded' in appearance' for want of a better description ...anyone else notice that? the others on the right side of the wheel are fine also - we're so 'new' with this car ..so many bells/whistles with this car - LOL thanks so much for any replys ...

1restorick
11-18-10, 07:52 PM
Hello - we're new owners of a 2010 DTS -used ...the icon on the left side of the steering wheel to 'start' the cruise-control seems much less 'bright' in appearance than the other icons sitting above it on the same side of the steering wheel ..almost 'faded' in appearance' for want of a better description ...anyone else notice that? the others on the right side of the wheel are fine also - we're so 'new' with this car ..so many bells/whistles with this car - LOL thanks so much for any replys ...

I do alot of auto detailing and notice that many late model cars end up with faded controls when the owners frequently use hand sanitizer. I see it on radio and climate controls routinely. Just a thought.

Rick

Kenwood
11-19-10, 12:25 PM
Just to add my .02, see if you can get a closer look and see if the button just has some grime or dirt on it that can be wiped off with a damp cloth. Sometimes newspaper ink gets on my fingers and then rubs off on anything I touch.

SHOWGIRL
11-20-10, 04:57 PM
I do alot of auto detailing and notice that many late model cars end up with faded controls when the owners frequently use hand sanitizer. I see it on radio and climate controls routinely. Just a thought.
Rick
-----------------------
Oh my gosh ! never thought of 'alcohol' doing that !! thanks for pointing out the possibility ...

SHOWGIRL
11-20-10, 04:58 PM
Just to add my .02, see if you can get a closer look and see if the button just has some grime or dirt on it that can be wiped off with a damp cloth. Sometimes newspaper ink gets on my fingers and then rubs off on anything I touch.
============
another great idea !!! thanks to you both !!!

Lev Blekher
11-20-10, 11:23 PM
I have noticed the same thing on the 6 DIC buttons on the dash left. I have CPO warranty but dealer said it's not covered. I'm not done with that, but I cleaned my car with auto detailing products only recently and it seems like the white has faded off long ago and there was nothing covering it. Find it odd that it happened just on there. Those don't seem like the most frequently used buttons.

SHOWGIRL
11-21-10, 09:27 AM
I have noticed the same thing on the 6 DIC buttons on the dash left. I have CPO warranty but dealer said it's not covered. I'm not done with that, but I cleaned my car with auto detailing products only recently and it seems like the white has faded off long ago and there was nothing covering it. Find it odd that it happened just on there. Those don't seem like the most frequently used buttons.
-----------------------
hummm ...interesting observation about those DIC buttons not being used all the time yet still 'fading' .. didn't expect 'any' warranty would cover 'fading' although if you can't 'see' the control for a 'function' couldn't that been deemed 'dangerous' ? just a thought ... wonder if the entire car 'fades' away after a while ! LOL :rolleyes:

Superjim
11-21-10, 10:08 AM
-----------------------
hummm ...interesting observation about those DIC buttons not being used all the time yet still 'fading' .. didn't expect 'any' warranty would cover 'fading' although if you can't 'see' the control for a 'function' couldn't that been deemed 'dangerous' ? just a thought ... wonder if the entire car 'fades' away after a while ! LOL :rolleyes:

Actually, fading buttons "ARE" covered under the original new car warranty ...but not under extended warrantys.

My nav unit was replaced because one of the buttons was fading.

Jim

Lev Blekher
11-22-10, 02:27 AM
It is a danger issue...you need to see the labels on the buttons. And it should be covered under warranty. Apparently CPO warranty is not exactly like original warranty as they say.