: To Keep Cadillacs From Depreciating So Much, You Should...

Ralph
09-19-04, 11:43 PM
KEEP THEM LONGER!! Many people seem to get bored with their new Escalade, Seville, Brougham, etc. etc, so they trade in or sell it towards a newer one, or something else. The problem with this is that dealer lots are flooded with Cadillacs and then to get rid of them they have to practically give them away. I noticed this last year, and again this year. Thereby causing steep depreciation.

I also think that if people would keep their cars for at least 5 or more years, Cadillac would not produce as many of them and therefore increase demand and help prevent depreciation?

I think another cause to the problem is leasing. Do people that lease (and this means you) really take care of them as well as if you actually owned it? Do you really do the oil changes on time at your expense? There are people on the Forum who brag about the abuse they put their cars through because they don't care. They will be giving it up to some poor sucker who won't know what they are buying. Therefore, if leased vehicles break down because of the possible abuse, this also hurts the image of quality?

I realize that by buying a new car every couple of years may be good for the economy, but not for resale value, etc. Just a theory and no offense meant! Any thoughts??? :sneaky: Feel free to think of this as a reminder, as I posted similar early last year.

majax
09-20-04, 04:46 AM
I can agree with ya there on keepin a car for 5 years makes sense. If you really think about it thats how long the warranty will last one. I dont like the whole leasing thing.

Sandy
09-20-04, 10:36 AM
It is a known fact within the auto business that a leased car is an abused car. Human nature aside, people do not take care of another person's possessions as they would do their own!

I work & save up the money for a new car. I put $44,000 on the salesman's table top when I bought my '03 Town Car. I saved for 5 years, by the way. Next to me, at another salesman's desk was a guy taking delivery of a leased $50,000 Navagator, that he was leasing for 30 months.

Which would you rather buy used, in 30 months? Mine, or His ?? Mine is hand washed weekly, waxed every 3 months, always kept clean and has had every maintenance service performed ahead of schedule, is parked far away from the masses at parking lots, and no pets (animals) are ever in it, nor is food/coffee consumed in it. At 17 months of age it has 4,100 miles, so by 30 months, it will have 7,250 miles. How will it stack up against that leased Navi ??

Stoneage_Caddy
09-20-04, 11:41 AM
shoot if sandy ever sells a vehicle id be first inline for it , as we all know this cat knows how to treat a lady right (the caddy)

when am i gonna be able to get my grubby hands on one of those mclarens ?

Sandy
09-20-04, 01:24 PM
..... and how do you know about the McLarens ??????????

Twn Car goes in 2008. Should still be purr-fect, with about 15,900 on the clock. The Sixty Special never ever goes. Contact wife after my death. Ditto, the McLarens! ~ ~

I have my own ascMcLaren board/web-site, but it would not be ethical to post it herein, on another person's site. PM me if interested....

HotRodSaint
09-20-04, 01:31 PM
The best way to keep your Cadillac from depreciating, is buy it used in the first place!

I can sell my car 1 1/2 years later for almost what what I paid for it. I was offered more two weeks ago.

Try that with a new Cadillac! ;)

It will be a very long time before I ever buy new again.

Stoneage_Caddy
09-20-04, 01:37 PM
sandy , im a lurker on that site ..........mwahahahah

we sent a few emails back and forth regarding the cars , thats how i knew , but i really thought you got rid of boath for some reason .......

majax
09-20-04, 04:29 PM
Do you like walk everywhere Sandy? so few miles on your car and all.

Ralph
09-20-04, 04:55 PM
It is a known fact within the auto business that a leased car is an abused car.

Which would you rather buy used, in 30 months? Mine, or His ?? Mine is hand washed weekly, waxed every 3 months, always kept clean

I've seen 2 year old cars that are sunfaded and totally neglected on dealer lots, obviously buybacks from leasing.

You and I have pretty much the same durations between waxing, washings, etc. I'm very anal about these things also. ;) If the car is just a little dusty them sometimes I take out my California duster instead of washing, but if muddy, etc. it has to be wand washed.

I just don't know how people can become bored with a Cadillac in 2 years! I guess in my family we keep cars a very long time so you are committed to maintain them more than if you knew you were getting rid of it. (good point about leasing and you confirmed my beliefs)

Jeff: I agree, but someone has to buy them new or they would't exist! :D Good point about buying used, and today I saw a really minty low mileage 2000 Seville in White Diamond for sale at the Chevy dealership. It has 32,000 miles or 52,000 kms and they want 25,000 or around 18,000 U.S. I don't know if thats a good deal or not but maybe if I didn't have mine I would jump on it like Natty in heat!

Msilva954
09-20-04, 06:49 PM
To keep the miles low Sandy probably has a scooter hidden somewhere.....or maybe a segway??

lev
09-20-04, 07:26 PM
Ralph, not to turn this into another Cadillac vs Honda debate, but if your logic is correct then Hondas should drop their resale like crazy. Down here in Dallas there are 135706546403546504340 Hondas of all kinds on the road with 165465460654604654316546432160 more for sale. And I am not exagerrating, that IS an actual number of Honda cars for on the road and for sale.:D

Sandy
09-20-04, 07:33 PM
StonageCadillac, the TWO ascMcLaren gave birth! There are 3 now !! We also have a brand new website that Mike Negus & I started. MUCH better !!

My mileage is low because I work out of my house. The 3rd floor is a big office, so....there is NO commute :) Further, most places I go are within a 8 mile cirlce No So East West. We also have a huge freezer so we "stock up" in November and then can go marketing when the weather is clear and the roads are dry. In a pinch, there's a 7-11 on the next corner, (about 300 steps away).

majax
09-20-04, 07:39 PM
So you rarely ever leave the block, wow. :eek:

Then the miles you do have are highway(I assume) and of course grocery miles.

Ralph
09-20-04, 07:42 PM
Ralph, not to turn this into another Cadillac vs Honda debate, but if your logic is correct then Hondas should drop their resale like crazy. Down here in Dallas there are 135706546403546504340 Hondas of all kinds on the road with 165465460654604654316546432160 more for sale. And I am not exagerrating, that IS an actual number of Honda cars for on the road and for sale.:D

There are an awful lot of Hondas here too and for sale in the classifieds. Remember what I said last year? I noticed in the classifieds that Japanese cars hold value for the first few years or so then drop rapidly. The opposite seems true for Domestic cars. I've noticed that my Dad's DTS dropped in value what a new Civic costs here in the first year he had it. ( roughly $20,000) After a couple or few years they hold around $30,000 or so. (new DTS=$70,000) I've also seen many Accords that are below value because there are many of them and people may be desperate to get rid of them if they are moving, etc.

I think the myth that Japanese cars are superior for long term quality will surface (and I've posted articles proving they lost ground in this regard) and then finally Cadillacs values will hold better. The stereotype of bad American car quality will level out with the Japanese reputation in the next few years or so IMO.

Ralph
09-20-04, 08:09 PM
the TWO ascMcLaren

Sandy Bro, I gots to know, what are these? I keep thinking Mclaren F1, the British supercar that was made for a couple of years, but I'm assuming it is some performance company affiliated with Ford? I think I MIGHT have heard about them but it was years ago. What do they make?

Lucky for me too I can walk to work, but sometimes I prefer to show off..er...um...I mean drive. :)

Stoneage_Caddy
09-21-04, 10:31 AM
Ralph , were talking about The ASC Mclarens , these were originally a Mecury Capri (the one based on fox mustangs) program started when some dude wated a car for his wife since her mecedes wasnt allowed into a factory or something ...

So he took a fox capri and took the roof off , made it into a 2 seater with some handeling bits to make her corner beatter ....wait , just go to sandys site :

http://home1.gte.net/5liter/mmr/ascmclaren.htm

or this one :
http://www.asc-usa.com/showcase/mclaren.htm

or this one :
http://www.ascmclaren.com/gallery.htm

Basicly the baddest fox car ever made , esp in vert form ....it went to the mustang body in 87 i belive , made a nice looking car but im a capri man myself ,esp since i almost bought a 81 non mac capri with a 351 wedged in it (non bubble back)....

there i go again , talking fox ford on a cadillac site .......

Ralph
09-21-04, 03:32 PM
Thanks Stone, I had no idea!? I'll read those better tonite when I got more time. I bet those held value well. :thumbsup:

I could have bought a silver SVO (1986 I think it was) back in the mid-'90's for $5,500 CDN!! there I go hijacking my own thread. You should start one on these cars?

Stoneage_Caddy
09-21-04, 04:11 PM
but where to put such a thread?

Im a big fan fo the SVO , esp the 85.5 version (most powerful and lightest of the breed)

Ralph
09-22-04, 01:28 AM
but where to put such a thread?

Cadillac Vs. or Lounge maybe? No one has mentioned the SVO yet and I'd love to get some nums on that one.

DaveSmed
09-22-04, 01:39 AM
Well since were already offtopic.... ;)

mmm SVO. 85.5 had the square intake, 35 lb-hr injectors, big VAM, and a whole bunch of other niceities. Those engines like boost a lot, and scream at 17psi. Damn quick for a 4 cyl. I do a lot of playing around with a friend's T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5 spd. http://www.smedco.net/scott/ (Burnout vid on page 2 :D )

Ralph
09-22-04, 01:58 AM
Well since were already offtopic.... ;)

mmm SVO. 85.5 had the square intake, 35 lb-hr injectors, big VAM, and a whole bunch of other niceities. Those engines like boost a lot, and scream at 17psi. Damn quick for a 4 cyl. I do a lot of playing around with a friend's T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5 spd. http://www.smedco.net/scott/ (Burnout vid on page 2 :D )

Ya, I think this thread is done for anyway. Your link took too long so I'll try tomorrow. I think the reason the SVO didn't last too long was because for cheaper you could probably get the GT with a V8. I don't think too many people would have been willing to dish out MORE for a turbo 4 banger. I heard they were pretty fast too. I still remember the tv commercials with Jackie Stewart.

Stoneage_Caddy
09-22-04, 10:06 AM
http://www.mustangsvo.org/svostory.htm

http://www.svoca.com/mainframe.html

majax
09-22-04, 08:05 PM
You gona bring this subject back again next year Ralph? This is the second time right? stat a tradition

Ralph
09-22-04, 08:30 PM
You gona bring this subject back again next year Ralph? This is the second time right? stat a tradition

:shhh: I thought maybe some fresh blood would have some theories but I guess we've exhausted this subject now. I could have called it "How You can Help Cadillac." It was just more like a reminder I suppose, that's why we shifted towards exotic Mustangs. :hmm: