: Remote Problems SRX

memphissrx
11-17-10, 05:26 PM
Has anyone experienced any problems with their remotes? I keep getting "remote not detected" when I start my car, even though the remote is out by the gear shift stick. I had this problem 4 times now and GM is completely baffled by this nor are there any recalls. They are trying to get a new transpoder for the car but it is on backorder. I am asking for a new car but it seems the dealer is giving me the run around. Help? :crying2:

sube5186
11-17-10, 05:53 PM
According to the manual, you may get that message if the remote battery is weak. The DIC is supposed to alert you of a weak battery, but it may not be low enough to trigger that warning. Does this happen with both remotes?

You say you're asking for a new car. Is that based solely on this, or are you having additional problems?

Sube

jcarlilesiu
11-17-10, 05:58 PM
I will be willing to bet that this is happening in a densely populated area right?

I live in Chicago and work downtown. This seems to happen quite a bit to me. Either I have a hard time getting the car to lock/unlock or start. Its pretty typical of cars that use FM transmitters for this application. My old BMW did it too on several occassions.

With the huge amount of radio waves being used in densely populated areas, the car sometimes gets confused. I would assume that it is something like interference and to be safe, the car isn't going to unlock or start until its sure that the transmission is authentic.

2010sled
11-17-10, 06:21 PM
It's probly having a computer fart. It happens to me every once and wile

Smokin' SRX
11-17-10, 08:13 PM
I will be willing to bet that this is happening in a densely populated area right?

I live in Chicago and work downtown. This seems to happen quite a bit to me. Either I have a hard time getting the car to lock/unlock or start. Its pretty typical of cars that use FM transmitters for this application. My old BMW did it too on several occassions.

With the huge amount of radio waves being used in densely populated areas, the car sometimes gets confused. I would assume that it is something like interference and to be safe, the car isn't going to unlock or start until its sure that the transmission is authentic.

Commonly known prob in very urban areas. Explanation given is spot on in my experience. Hold remote under your chin, while pressing Start or Unlock button. Honest!

SS

memphissrx
11-18-10, 05:40 AM
It has happened with both remotes and replaced each time. The dealership even called the engineering department at GM to if they can help. According to the dealership, even they are baffled why this is happening. The mechanic that is on this car has been around for 30+ years and he stated he never saw this problem.

Yes, this is the only problem that I am having (thank goodness) and it is becoming a safety issue. The 3rd incident, the car "remote not detected" came on and the car completely lost power! It had to be towed to the dealership and they claimed that battery was the problem but couldn't address about the remote issue.

It looks like GM customer service manager is now involved and it will be rectified soon I hope. I am not driving it as I am afraid that it will shut down on me when I park it or while I'm driving.

ewill3rd
11-18-10, 09:35 AM
In the bottom of the center compartment there is a small indentation. There is a special antenna in there that will pick up the transmitter even if the battery is completely dead in the transmitter. If you get a "fob not detected" message try placing the transmitter in that indentation.
I have seen some software issues and I had a GM owned early production vehicle that needed a new controller but I don't remember the specifics of that.

memphissrx
11-18-10, 02:50 PM
Yes, I have use the indentation in the console. However, it would not work when the power was gone. It was weird that you will hear the beeping noise when you open the door as well as the light but nothing happened.

A GM manager is calling me later today to try to get this situation rectified. I will let you all know the outcome.

Thanks!

memphissrx
11-18-10, 08:06 PM
Well, I am happy to say that this has been resolved and I am getting a new SRX tomorrow. The Cadillac customer service personnel are great and only reinforces my belief that they truly want to be the best car company around. The remote issue has been delegated to the higher ups to see what is causing this issue nad how it can be rectified.

Thanks!

Ponyman
11-18-10, 08:50 PM
That's GREAT!!! Proves that GM and Cadillac really do care about their products, and their customers. I realize they can't give a new car to everyone with a problem, but since your's was a potential safety problem it is good that they stepped up to the plate. Hope your new car is better than the first.

Ponyman
11-18-10, 08:51 PM
Was your car a 2010, or 2011?

ewill3rd
11-19-10, 09:20 AM
I know that there are "engineering investigations" on some production for similar issues.
GM is working on the ones that have these issues but they are still trying to "root cause" them so that they can come up with a valid fix.
I am glad they are working with you.

PJ1520
11-19-10, 10:48 AM
memphis.......I am somewhat stunned they swapped out cars for you. Was this their recommendation or did you suggest it? Yup, pleasantly stunned. Did you switch anything, like color? That would be something my wife would think of.

PJ

Smokin' SRX
11-19-10, 10:54 AM
Well, I am happy to say that this has been resolved and I am getting a new SRX tomorrow. The Cadillac customer service personnel are great and only reinforces my belief that they truly want to be the best car company around. The remote issue has been delegated to the higher ups to see what is causing this issue nad how it can be rectified.

Thanks!

Damn! What a dealer! Your issue was more involved than a Remote malfunction for sure. Guess GM's new IPO stock sales are going well :rolleyes:

Pls do enter your year, model w/ your signature/profile so others can see what model/options (Turbo?) you have. really aids understanding many comments/concerns clearly. Everyone should do this.... best wishes w/ the new sled!
THX!

SS

ewill3rd
11-20-10, 09:29 AM
I would imagine that since this car is acting up they may want to have a field engineer look at it. Given the circumstances they may have opted to trade you into another car so they can dig into this one to root cause this issue to get it solved for good, not just on this car but on others that may exhibit a similar condition.

RippyPartsDept
11-20-10, 10:45 AM
I would imagine that since this car is acting up they may want to have a field engineer look at it. Given the circumstances they may have opted to trade you into another car so they can dig into this one to root cause this issue to get it solved for good, not just on this car but on others that may exhibit a similar condition.

yeah i figured they might want to take this car to an RF lab or something