Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Possible CTS-V handling issue

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  lollygagger8 
#1 ·
After much agonizing, I just bought a 2006 CTS-V. I have one pretty serious concern with the car, however. When cornering at speeds at 40 or above, sometimes I'll feel a bit of a "wobble" and weight shift in the rear end of the car. It's almost as if I'm going over an imperfection in the road causing the suspension to become a bit upset, but I know that I'm not.

I suspect that this isn't normal, but maybe I'm just being overly picky about it. The car is currently running on H-rated (don't ask) Bridgestone Potenza RE050's. Could the tires cause this behavior? What else should I check? I plan on putting the car up on the lift tomorrow to get a better look at what could possibly be wrong, but I still don't know what exactly I should be checking.

I spent a long time looking for this car, so I'd be pretty upset if it has to go back, but I'd rather not get stuck with a lemon and I've got 3 more days to return it!

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. Tire pressure is correct, I will check the sway bar and shock mounts tomorrow. The trunk is empty...not full of bowling balls or anything... :bigroll:

What is strange is that at lower speeds it feels fine, and abrupt maneuvers feel fine too. I just get an unsettling "shift" from the rear when going around sweeping highway ramps or corners at speed. There is a ramp I take each day at about 70 with confidence in my 210K-mile Jeep with original shocks. In the V I should be able to power through it even faster, but at the same speed I get the unnerving twitch.

I might take it to the Cadillac dealer and let them have a look at it. I bought it at CarMax and they're basically idiots so I doubt they'll even notice the problem.

darkman: That is hugely helpful, thanks. No chance there was anything else interesting on that TSB?

#8 ·
Yeah. This is not the feeling I'm getting. I'm just going to bring it to the dealer tomorrow to have the alignment and suspension thoroughly checked out.

While I imagine that whatever is wrong can be remedied in a relatively straightforward manner, I'd really like it to feel nice and solid before it's officially mine.

#10 ·
I got talked into some H-rated BF Goodrich tires about a year ago because Discount Tire was pushing them and they had a killer deal and rebate. I figured since I had another set of rims and tires for racing I would go ahead and do it. The tire I got make the car very unstable during turn in. The car felt unsettled and unpredictable on entrance and exit ramps. So I took them back.

One thing good about discount is they take tires back no questions asked. I thought it might have been the sidewalls on the tire and / or too much tread flex. Once I got the Michelin's, the car felt normal again.

#11 ·
branland: I felt it a bit when I first test drove the car, and I convinced myself it was the tires and road I was driving on, but since taking it home I've still noticed the "wobble." Either way, CarMax owes me a set of V-rated Potenza RE050's, which I'm going to probably pull immediately off and replace with W-rated Continental ExtremeContact DW's. I wish they'd just put the correct tires on to begin with but since I'm dealing with the lowest common denominator of car sales people they're only willing to put on what was on the tire sticker in the door, which for some reason says "V" and not "W."

Baltimore07: That sounds like what could have happened to mine. This car has been on probably 12 different car carriers since they shipped it from Oklahoma, and who knows what else went on. I don't want to think about it. :suspect: It's conceivable that one of the springs got unseated in the process. I'm taking the day off work to deal with this, and I'm starting by going to CarMax to hopefully have them put the new tires on, and have them take a look (why not). If it's still doing it, I'll take it to the dealer for a diagnosis, and then I'll probably bring it to the shop and put it up myself anyway. Until now I've always been more of a leaf spring kind of guy. :)

On a side note, I also live in Baltimore City. I'd love to meet up sometime.

#12 ·
Clearly tires are an important checkpoint but I think this is somewhat normal considering the rubber bushings supporting the cradle. In tight turns mine has always felt like I was driving two different cars around a corner...the car itself, then the cradle seems to wobble sometimes and straighten up..

My springs look fine too..as info

#13 ·
The car is fixed, I am happy, and all is well. The problem was that the left rear trailing arm was loose at the spindle. It is now correctly torqued down and the car feels glued to the road, as it should.

A bunch of extra, not particularly interesting details:

I took it to CarMax first thing in the morning and they didn't have time to look at it until Friday (conveniently after I have to actually pay for it tomorrow). My underwhelming impression of CarMax remains intact. They're not particularly interested in helping you before you sign the papers, so I wasn't expecting much now that I already have.

Having heard some not so great things about the service at Miller Brothers Cadillac (which is close to me over in Ellicot City, MD), I drove the V down to Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis. I'm happy to say that they were prompt, courteous, friendly, and most importantly of all, competent. The Cadillac service writer had an experienced tech drive the car, he figured out the problem and had it up on the lift, and I was out of there in about an hour. $121.45 in total, which I thought was fair. They did try to sell me an aftermarket warranty a few times, but didn't try to sucker me with other services. Overall I was very impressed with their service, and I'm not sure I've ever said that about a dealership before. (I don't work for Fitzgerald, really).

While I don't really expect to get CarMax to pay the difference, I am going to go down there and make a stink. A loose rear suspension component could be a serious safety issue. They really shouldn't be selling cars in that condition.

#19 ·
rjoffe: I took it to Fitzgerald and they did a fine job of getting it fixed up. I've heard some good things about Lindsay though, and if I every have anything very V-specific, I'll probably endure the hassle of going to Virginia.

CadzillaTN: Yeah, I guess so. If only all of life's little problems were so easily solved.

lollygagger8: Dead hookers are more at home in black Cadillac's, but in a pinch I'm sure I can manage one...

And yes, it is handling much better than my Cherokee now. I would be pretty upset if it wasn't. :)

#24 ·
Don't worry, I'm also secretly mad that his problem was so easily fixed. It could very well be, though, that his problem was MUCH more obvious than the subtle side-to-side motion that I feel in mine, but I knew it was different when he said it was worse at high speed. The weird wobble in mine is a 35-50 range thing. Then there's the cluck from the front that I've been putting up with, and the bad shifting (I guess I need engine mounts).

#21 ·
CadillacTN, in all seriousness, you could always give it a try. Loosen up the bolt on one side, get the car out on the freeway (with plenty of free space around you!), and do an abrupt lane switch, and then switch back. Just be careful, and make sure you've got plenty of room around you and it's safe to play with it.

The feeling of the suspension twitching is quite unnerving. It is amazing that one bolt could make such a difference, but it does!

#22 ·
Nah, I certainly believe you,..im thinking we're talking about two different wobbles lol. I have enough fun staying alive on my commute already. No need to add to the excitement..

Ill check them regardless.. Do you recall the torque spec?

Glad you got it worked out and kept the V!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.