: *Swapping 2nd row buckets for bench and need some tips!

austin
11-16-10, 10:29 PM
Hi,

I am swapping over my 2nd row heated power buckets for a 2nd row power heated split bench. And yes!! It is a power split bench as the power release buttons work and look exactly the same in my escalade as they do in the swap escalade that has the power released 2nd row heated split bench. Yes! :)

I would like some tips on how to make this swap go smooth.. What size wrenches are used and what are the torque specs for the bolts.. Also, is the carpet cover around the bench the same as the split bench.. Any tips or a quick step by step would be greatly appreciated! :)

AWF_AXIS
11-16-10, 11:49 PM
I did this swap a couple of years ago. Since then, I've put the buckets back and sold the truck.

The bolts are no big deal. Use the same ones, same harness, etc. There is some difference slightly in the seat base frame, and I tore the carpet as I torqued the bolts down, but no biggie.

Be sure to put good protection in the door frame area, as the base of the seats can scratch the paint trying to wresting them in and out the doors. I put the 2/3 size portion of the seat in from behind. Used straps to make sure the seats didn't open up while handling them.

The big problem is the carpet. The two carpet surrounds are not compatible in any way. I ended up buying the carpet platform (one piece) for the bench seats from the dealer, as I couldn't find any on eBay (where I got the seat). It was a challenge just finding the part number for the carpet because the description is not easy to find the the diagrams at the parts counter. Ended up going onto the lot, and pulling one of them up to get the part number.

I now have both a bench seat and the carpet (ebony) for sale on Craigslist.

I think it was about $149 for the carpet platform new. I'm selling the seat and carpet for $200.

Good luck.

austin
11-17-10, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the tip on the carpet.. I will have to swap that piece as well from the swap escalade.. Would you happen to remember what size socket you used and what the torque spec was??

Since I am doing this swap by myself, I was planning on removing the 3rd row seats 1st and then pulling the 2nd row out the back so not to damage the side door panels. Do you think going straight out the back cargo area is a better way to do this swap?

AWF_AXIS
11-17-10, 10:37 AM
Don't remember the socket. I just grab things out of the tool box that fits. Did require a 1/2 drive size ratchet because they are pretty beefy on the original torque. Size probably in the 3/4" range.

As for torque, I never bother. I just crank it what I feel it was like when I loosened 'em up.

cadmanchris
11-17-10, 10:03 PM
You will need an 18mm socket and a 10mm socket. The swap is easy, but you will need help with the 60 side of the bench because it's pretty heavy. When I did mine, I swapped the carpet platforms also. The power tumble worked the same with the bench as it did with the buckets.

austin
11-18-10, 12:50 AM
Thanks alot guys! :)

austin
11-19-10, 03:21 PM
You will need an 18mm socket and a 10mm socket.

Just curious.... What is the 10mm socket used for??

austin
11-20-10, 04:34 PM
Just curious.... What is the 10mm socket used for??

Just finished the swap over.. Just wanted to let everyone know that it is a 13mm and not a 10mm deep that's is also needed. The bench frame has two additional 13mm nuts. The bench also requires a one piece carpet cover vs the two covers that the buckets use. You need this one piece retangular cover as it covers the steel frame for the bench where it shows in the middle. All in all, a very easy job.. Just make dure to plug in the left and right electrical connectors before putting the carper cover on. :)

AWF_AXIS
12-10-10, 01:58 PM
I noticed that my Private Message was full, and cleared it. Someone on this thread was trying to contact me.

I have a Ebony bench seat and carpet surround for sale... still. Let me know.

Dave

DLareJ15
04-25-11, 11:11 AM
do you still have the 2nd row bench seat available? if so how much? and is it hard to swap bucket to bench on an 08 escalade? i am new so i cannot pm

AWF_AXIS
04-25-11, 02:29 PM
I still have them, and the carpet surround as well. I'd let it all go for $150. (The carpet platform alone costs this).

I was able to do the swap back and forth myself, using some heavy duty blanket pads to protect the carpet and doors. Socket set is all you need.

Keep in mind my seats are not powered or heated. I'm in Truckee (Lake Tahoe) California, right off I-80.

Dave

DLareJ15
04-25-11, 02:43 PM
How would that work if they are not powerered or heated? would I just not plug in the power suppy? also would you ship to last vegas?

AWF_AXIS
04-25-11, 03:07 PM
There is a wire harness just under the carpet for each bucket you have now. Just unplug the buckets, and tuck the other end under the carpet. I would keep your buckets for when you sell or trade later on down the line. That is what I did.

As for shipping, I believe these need to go freight service, not UPS. On eBay, seller's shipping charges range from $150-$200 for just the seats (2 pcs). The carpet surround is prettly light in comparison, but all these need to be plastic wrapped, protected with cardboard, and picked up via trucking company. If you can arrange for packaging and shipping from Reno NV, give me an address, and I'll get them down there.

Maybe you should take a trip to Lake Tahoe, ski or board at Squaw Valley (open till May 30) and pick up the seats.

matthones
04-26-11, 11:53 AM
Dumb question but why did you swap the buckets for a bench seat? I've thought about it since my wife is pregnant and we might need the extra room for car seats but I'm not totally convinced yet. Thoughts???

AWF_AXIS
04-26-11, 02:40 PM
I did this because we had a wakeboard boat, and when we'd go camping or to the lake, I needed the room in back. This meant removing the 3rd row.

We'd often have our kids and grand-kid many times on these trips, and needed room for 3 butts in the 2nd row. It's also much better to keep the car seat in the second row middle, since it provides easy reach, and in a side impact, the center seat "seems" the safest.