: Base 2011 SRX pairs with music Bluetooth but not cellphone Bluetooth

2011_SRX
11-15-10, 11:41 PM
My 2011 Base SRX will pair with my Bluetooth music device and play music over the factory sound system but the radio controls will not allow me to pair my Bluetooth phone and use the phone. I realize the Base SRX did not have cellphone Bluetooth but has anyone tried to work around this issue? The SRX has to have a Bluetooth antenna because it will pair with the music device so has anyone figured out how to make it pair with a Bluetooth phone? I have seen adapters to bypass the OnStar box for cellphone Bluetooth but I have not seen an adapter that adds a Bluetooth cellphone and also allows the OnStar to function correctly. Does such a device exist?

I found a posting on the web describing the fix as a firmware update as long as the vehicle has Bluetooth. Has anyone seen this? http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7458102_add-bluetooth-onstar.html

stevec5375
11-16-10, 07:57 AM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, one can only pair a phone or a music device, not both. I have a Samsung Vibrant running Android and can pair the phone successfully but I can't listen to music from the phone at the same time via the car system. It's one or the other. Previously, I had a Kenwood system in an Infiniti that showed the phone and audio as two separate devices. The SRX cannot do this to my knowledge.

2011_SRX
11-16-10, 10:02 AM
I did as you described and un-paired the Bluetooth music device completely. When I entered the "Phone" menu the screen reads "Feature Unavailable". I would be very pleased if it allowed me to pair the phone or music device, one at a time but it seems the Base vehicle definitely does not permit pairing with a Bluetooth phone. It would seem because the OnStar phone system (microphone + speakers + buttons) exists and Bluetooth available and working for a music device, a "simple" programming update could allow the Bluetooth phone to pair. Safety wise, I would prefer pairing the phone over the music device.

SomeGuyNamedJay
11-16-10, 09:40 PM
I would like to know if this is possible as well. I love my wife's SRX, but wish it was more configurable like my BMW (old one, bought it used ;) Don't give me crap.

2011_SRX
11-17-10, 12:21 AM
I would like to know if this is possible as well. I love my wife's SRX, but wish it was more configurable like my BMW (old one, bought it used ;) Don't give me crap.

Hey I like Bimmers! I will pursue the firmware update and let you know what I find. IMO, the car has the necessary hardware but the menu is not offering "Pair" in "Phone Settings".

jcarlilesiu
11-17-10, 05:05 PM
How do you pair for music? Is this only available in the 2011 model? I have an Android incredible but can't figure out how to pair it with my lux. SRX to stream pandora wirelessly.

SomeGuyNamedJay
11-17-10, 05:18 PM
I think you have it, but it is kinda hidden. Hit Aux, then hit Menu.. Should be self explanatory from there. Good luck!

jcarlilesiu
11-17-10, 06:04 PM
I just was in the car. When I hit AUX I get the following options:

HDD
USB
DVD
AUX
AV

When I hit the menu/select dial button nothing happens.

Sent on tapatalk for Android

SomeGuyNamedJay
11-17-10, 06:32 PM
Not sure.. Try choosing Aux and then hit Menu..

2011_SRX
11-18-10, 12:55 AM

After reading this thread in Camaro5, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929&page=17 it is evident "re-programming" cannot add Bluetooth phone pairing to the Base SRX. This forum explains it is necessary to replace the non-Bluetooth OnStar module with a Bluetooth capable OnStar module. I will abandon my quest.

[Rhino]
01-23-11, 07:41 PM
Just a quick update to this post. I've been trying to play Pandora through my Bluetooth unsuccessfully when my phone is paired to the vehicle.

I found this statement in the Cadillac SRX Manual on page 7-53.

"A Bluetooth phone with MP3
capability can not be connected to
the vehicle as a phone and an MP3
player at the same time."

I would've added the link to this thread but it won't allow it as I haven't made 5 posts yet. You can go to Cadillac dot com forward slash manuals and select SRX Owners Manual.

GM/Cadillac has some work to do to catch up to the Ford/Lincoln in this arena as the Sync technology is far superior and can connect the device not the functionality to the vehicle.

From what I've been able to decipher I will only be able to use my iPod or a USB flash drive connected to the USB slot. I will have to connect my Droid X (phone) with the Car Dock the same way I had it configured with my 2007 Suburban which is to power the phone in the dock and to connect the audio out to the auxiliary jack. I'm looking for the instruction manual to remove the dash and center console in order to hide all the wiring as the auxiliary jack is hidden in the center console. If anyone has found the online manual to remove the console and dash and can point me to it I would really appreciate it.

I hope this helps!

sube5186
01-23-11, 09:59 PM
;2475201']GM/Cadillac has some work to do to catch up to the Ford/Lincoln in this arena as the Sync technology is far superior and can connect the device not the functionality to the vehicle.

Yelp. My wife's Ford Edge can maintain a simultaneous Blue Tooth connection for the phone and MP3 player/Pandora. It streams Pandora via BT and even allows you to control Pandora from the steering wheel controls. It also allows you to send/receive text msgs from the car's screen, shows album art, displays photos of phone contacts when they call, downloads your address book, allows you to change the wallpaper, has radar controlled cruise control, blind spot detection, etc., etc., etc. The Sync system is the most technologically advanced of its kind that I've seen in any vehicle regardless of price. I would agree. GM is definitely lagging in this department. Of course when it comes to luxury and elegance the SRX has the "edge". No pun intended ;) .

Sube

Bigphil
01-25-11, 04:32 PM
But, its a Ford Edge !

sube5186
01-25-11, 04:50 PM
But, its a Ford Edge !

Precisely my point. If a Ford Edge has these features, why shouldn't a Caddy?

Sube

[Rhino]
01-25-11, 08:48 PM
Sube,

I know exactly what your saying. I drove the Lincoln MDX and the SRX and found the Lincoln more to the liking from the electronics integration, but just really like the look of the SRX. It stands apart from the rest of the crossovers on the market in styling but GM needs to come up with the firmware updates to resolve this issue. I'm in the computer field and it's not that difficult to figure this out. One simple firmware update should be able to resolve this issue.

I have to think however that there's more to it than technology. It's possibly more along the lines of a contractual agreement between GM, OnStar, and XM Radio that's keeping GM from moving forward with the fix. Only speculation on my part of course.

Let's hope they can make this right. I do enjoy driving my new SRX and the work around for this isn't that big of a deal with the use of the Aux port. At least we have the USB port for the iPod which does function fairly well with the stereo controls.

Blessed Travels to all...

sube5186
01-25-11, 10:33 PM
Rhino,

I forgot to mention this. You can also update Sync features and functionality via the USB port.....YOURSELF! All you do is download the updates to a thumbdrive. Then, just plug it into the USB port in the car. We just did an update and it was easy as pie. Major updates still have to be done at the dealer though. Just had one of those too, and all sorts of improvements were made to the user interface.

GM seems to have no desire or interest in improving the electronics ONCE YOU BUY THE CAR. Sure, they may update subsequent models, but what about those of us who have already purchased the vehicle. I guess we're just screwed. We don't get to benefit from design enhancements. A perfect example of this is the cell phone address book download on the 2011 SRX. They could implement this via a simple software update, but they don't.

I agree with you on the styling of the SRX. I think when it comes to technology the SRX is ahead of lot of vehicles. It's just not at the top of the heap. While we're on this topic, maybe someone can tell me why they omitted blind spot detection and heads up display from the SRX, but put it on the Buick Lacrosse. They're both GM products. :annoyed:

Sube

TheCaptain
01-26-11, 09:40 PM
... While we're on this topic, maybe someone can tell me why they omitted blind spot detection and heads up display from the SRX, but put it on the Buick Lacrosse. They're both GM products. :annoyed:

Sube

Because i don't want Blind spot crap on my car!

But i would LOVE HUD!! :D

sube5186
01-26-11, 09:56 PM
I would LOVE HUD!! :D

Capt, I know you like high tech stuff just like me. You would also love the Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning. Read the details and watch the video below.

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/features/#page=Feature10

Sube

TheCaptain
01-26-11, 10:21 PM
Most of the time i like high tech. But when compy's are taking over my driving experience, there better be an override! Having never dealt with an Adaptive Cruise before, i don't immediately like it... and still prefer to manually kill and decide how fast to pass.

sube5186
01-26-11, 10:41 PM
Most of the time i like high tech. But when compy's are taking over my driving experience, there better be an override! Having never dealt with an Adaptive Cruise before, i don't immediately like it... and still prefer to manually kill and decide how fast to pass.

The override works exactly like regular cruise control. Just tap the brakes or manually disengage. The benefit of Adaptive Cruise is that you don't have to keep turning it off and on because the guy in front of you won't keep a consistent speed. ACC automatically brakes for you to maintain the exact same following distance, all without ever disengaging the cruise control. It only slows the car when needed. It never accelerates faster than the present speed. I know it sounds a little scary having the car take that much control of driving, but it's actually safer. If you get distracted and don't notice traffic slowing ahead, the car does and brakes for you. It works so seamlessly, I didn't even know my wife was using the cruise control. I was a front seat passenger and I thought she was driving on her own.

Sube

stevec5375
01-27-11, 08:27 AM
I wish that someone would invent a system where the driver behind you could not tailgate. We have a lot of people in Austin that can't wait to get to the next red light and if you try to pace yourself so that the light will be green when you arrive, they'll ride your ass the whole way. We call them the hurry-up-and-wait people.

TheCaptain
01-27-11, 10:58 AM
I'm TOTALLY with you on that Stevec! Though it has to be able to work on the highway as well. With a 3+ second following distance.

MarioA
01-27-11, 08:48 PM
Rhino,

>> A perfect example of this is the cell phone address book download on the 2011 SRX. They could implement this via a simple software update, but they don't.

Sube

Oh man! This hurts!
This may start pushing me to start a SRX onboard-technology-hacking movement :-)

TheCaptain
01-28-11, 08:11 AM
Oh man! This hurts!
This may start pushing me to start a SRX onboard-technology-hacking movement :-)

Whoo hoo!
Hack the PLANET!! :D

stevec5375
01-28-11, 08:16 AM
Oh man! This hurts!

I'm with you on that. If I could stream Pandora or Rhapsody via Bluetooth then no more XM rip offs!

cz9h3d
01-28-11, 09:54 AM
The base radio (i.e. the standard non-Nav, non-Rear Seat Entertainment) that is standard in the Base and Luxury SRX, supports Bluetooth Music Streaming. This is due to the infamous PDIM module that supports streaming and the USB port. When you upgrade the radio, you get one that natively supports USB, and the PDIM (and streaming functionality) goes away.

Blueetooth for Phone is not available on the Base SRX (this functionality is actually integrated into the OnStar module).

This does create a "whack" configuration where the base SRX supports bluetooth for music streaming, but not for phone. I'd expect Cadillac to improve and get us dual functionality on all models in the future.... I hope.

sube5186
01-28-11, 12:59 PM
I'm with you on that. If I could stream Pandora or Rhapsody via Bluetooth then no more XM rip offs!

Exactly!

Guess it's back to the AUX input for Pandora. Only bad thing about that is you can't remotely control your cell phone.

You would think they would have at least changed this for 2011. :hmm:

Sube