: Recall on my DTS

BlackRavenDTS
11-15-10, 10:19 PM
I just got a post card that is a Recall for:

"Heated Windshield washer module short circuit - Permanently Disable and Remove."

Anyone know about this?

Jesda
11-15-10, 11:07 PM
Yep, there's a very small risk of it catching fire, and since the company that makes it went out of business, there is no fix. It must be removed and disabled for your safety. Take the notice to your dealer. Shouldn't cost you a dime.

Rusty058
11-15-10, 11:38 PM
Not a big deal,mine was done in 20 minutes

jackd
11-15-10, 11:44 PM
Plus GM will rebate you $100.00

BlackRavenDTS
11-15-10, 11:56 PM
You think they will fix my ballester? Thats my biggest problem with my car now.

ltdltc
11-16-10, 01:53 AM
Yep, there's a very small risk of it catching fire, and since the company that makes it went out of business, there is no fix. It must be removed and disabled for your safety. Take the notice to your dealer. Shouldn't cost you a dime.

Alphatherm makes a improved AT-37GM HWFS Modules that look exactly like the recalled units from Microheat but are a improved design (PCB, improved drainage and sealing of the module itself).

I had mine recalled and then put it in the newer HWFS Module from Alphatherm. Works great!

You think they will fix my ballester? Thats my biggest problem with my car now.

Yes they will fix it.

How it will be paid is another story. Have a warranty? Probably covered. No warranty? You'll have to pay.

1restorick
11-16-10, 06:52 AM
I also installed the Alpha Therm unit in my DTS work great and only cost $67.50.

Rick

tedcmiller
11-16-10, 07:57 PM
Some people have elected to ignore the recall as the windshield washer unit no longer heats the fluid after the dealer is done. Supposedly, there is a $100 rebate by GM for loss of function. This more than pays for the AlphaTherm unit, but you have to install this replacement yourself (or get someone else to do it). The dealer will probably do this installation if you ask (?????), but I am sure he will charge you for it, as this installation is not cover under warranty.

BlackRavenDTS
11-17-10, 10:57 AM
Alphatherm makes a improved AT-37GM HWFS Modules that look exactly like the recalled units from Microheat but are a improved design (PCB, improved drainage and sealing of the module itself).

I had mine recalled and then put it in the newer HWFS Module from Alphatherm. Works great!

Yes they will fix it.

How it will be paid is another story. Have a warranty? Probably covered. No warranty? You'll have to pay.

:( Isnt it like over $1000 Ugh..... They should fix it for free. That is a safety hazard. I know at the end of the day they wont and i can keep dreaming... I just cant dedicate to repairing it right now.... Maybe January....

ltdltc
11-17-10, 02:01 PM
If you want to play you got to pay! You could save quite a bit doing it yourself.

Ebay is your friend and lots of good deals on HID bulbs and ballasts. Taking the bumper off isn't to bad. I'd also recommend getting a service manual as it is a great help.

tedcmiller
11-17-10, 08:00 PM
Let's see. BlackRaven wants GM to give him $1000 instead of the $100 they are willing to pay. What is wrong with this picture? It is my understanding that GM does this "remove and disable" free of charge whether or not any warranty is in force. They just won't pay to have the aftermarket unit installed in place of the one they remove FOR FREE.

BlackRavenDTS
11-17-10, 11:17 PM
I'm not seriously pushing for this. I just get frustrated with constantly turning the lights on and off constantly. They installed the ballester into the car and its broken. So you can see what i mean. I dont mind them fixing that other thing either.

Please do not assume i REALLY want them to fix it for Free. I am simply saying... In a Perfect world... it would be nice.

BlackRavenDTS
11-17-10, 11:19 PM
Ill get em fixed eventually. I just can't pay for it now. It's just frustrating me.