: The joys of moving a business - updates on Northstar Performance -

97EldoCoupe
11-15-10, 09:59 PM
The move is almost done. A lot more lengthy than I would ever have imagined. I have to juggle the stud kit sales, finalizing one patent and starting another, transporting vehicles, keep up to part sales and phone calls as best as I can, and still do the repair work on the cars. I am not complaining - I am happy about the success of my business thus far and what I have managed to do for Cadillac owners world-wide. Last international stud kit sale was to Germany. I've also shipped them to England, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland, and France. I owe this success to great customers (that's many of you), forum members and moderators, Sal (of course), and hard work/long hours.

Since I lost my help; Charity and John, I've had random shop help but no help in the office. It's murder having a phone in one hand and a wrench in the other-

Good news. I'm holding interviews on Monday in Manitoba for a receptionist / order processor / vehicle scheduler / hopefully she's going to take a few of the hats I wear so I can continue to focus on what I do best - turn wrenches and come up with weird ideas to improve things or change things- I need time to work on R&D as well. So far, of the 15 people who've sent me a resume and requested an interview, they are all female so I believe it will be a "she" in the office. No longer, during regular office hours; will someone "not" get an answer; once I have hired.

I'm seriously considering keeping a shop open in Ontario "by appointment only" for now. If I can find the right guy to help out; I may re-open in Ontario full time.

All contents of the stud kits are now made in either the USA or Canada. Nothing overseas anymore, at all. Even the packaging is North American. I am trying to work a deal with UPS to have everything shipped next-day air for very little added cost. Quality and design are both constantly improving. Reason for the next-day air, is that auto repair shops are the most demanding, most impatient customers. They have customers on their backs and cars tying up valuable hoist space.

People in Ontario have had a lot of patience with me for getting their vehicle done. Some have gotten so upset I've been sworn at. It came to one of two decisions when I found out I was making the move to Manitoba - send the vehicles back to the owners without repair or a bill, or work 16 hours per day to keep up with everything and get the cars done in Ontario that I promised to do. So once again, to all waiting for their cars, they ARE getting done and I do apologize for the lengthy delay. Rest assured they are getting repaired with care and no corners are being cut. A professional job is #1 priority. I genuinely care about the quality of work going into your car. If you expect a slap together job, I can recommend JiffyFix around the corner..... But I will be getting back on track in a very short time now.

My new property in Manitoba consists of over 7 acres, a great home (so I never will get away from work, lol), and over 4,000 square feet of shop space. There's a huge pond on site, apple trees, raspberry bushes, storage sheds, and plenty of room for Bandit - (my german shepherd/husky cross) and my slightly large collection of parts cars. I am 10 minutes from a 24 hour border crossing and 5 minutes from the main highway that connects North Dakota to Winnipeg. I love my new place.

This is a business, a hobby, and a passion (obsession?) all rolled into one. But I am still relatively young and single, so I will have to start making time on weekends and weeknights to go hunting (guys you know what I mean)- cars are one thing in life, girls are another story....

Thank you all for your continued support. THANK YOU!!!!

Look for more products on the website in 2011, as well as better service. www.northstarperformance.com.

vincentm
11-15-10, 10:05 PM
Thanks once again, i'll refer anyone and everyone to your kit, i start my HG job this weekend.

vincentm
11-15-10, 10:07 PM
if you ever need or have any questions on computer help needed, don't hesitate to hit me up.

97EldoCoupe
11-15-10, 10:30 PM
Will do Vincent - you're great with networking and computers - right? I think that's what I heard you say on the phone -

RippyPartsDept
11-15-10, 10:37 PM
sounds like a good update Jake... glad to hear that there hasn't been any major problems... did you make it to SEMA?

97EldoCoupe
11-15-10, 11:00 PM
No unfortunately no time this year for SEMA. I shipped about 20 stud kits out in just over two weeks + doing the cars. One day I'll have to take an updated count of stud kits sold to date- I haven't heard of any failures yet other than the one here who posted on the forums about the faulty head gasket the shop installed - the customer wound up removing the head and changing the gasket- I don't think he's had a problem since.

Can't wait to open up the office/shipping location in North Dakota. I think at that point I'll have to get a U.S. IRS number.... Mike's Hardware in Pembina, ND apparently is the UPS ship location in that small town. I can see the day coming soon when stud kits will be fully created, packaged, and shipped from the USA. Since over 50% of the contents are American to begin with, why import into Canada to assemble and then export again?

RippyPartsDept
11-15-10, 11:32 PM
makes total sense ... keep on keepin' on

97EldoCoupe
11-16-10, 12:18 AM
Chris- if I can get parts shipped to ND instead of into Canada, it will make a lot of sense ordering parts from your dealership. I think I can have that arranged - hope you won't mind the odd call from me in the future regarding Cadillac parts.... Those rear main seals are costing me $65 even with my current discounts- my dealership does give me good rates- but in Canada all the GM parts are an arm and a leg - They are $94 each before discounts.

RippyPartsDept
11-16-10, 12:42 AM
no problem at all Jake, whenever you need them... i'm pretty sure there's a ton of stock at my 'local' warehouse in charlotte so i can get them next day if ordered before 4pm (we only stock about two at a time)

ThumperPup
11-22-10, 12:29 AM
glad to hear the move progress and all jake
glad to ehar things are going good for you

i just talked ot the shop on friday they said they got the block and stud kit
so i made a apointmetn for the first day they have open to get it in
ill keep you posted on how things turn out and all

edb150
12-03-10, 12:18 AM
I am moving my shop also Jake but i need some more studs.{. 2000 sts} My customer was gonna get them himself but says he is having problems reaching you. I have 1 Number but it did not work.. Call me 847 878 5676 or send them like b4 and call me for payment?. 40 cars repaired! Hope your move is going well as mine has been complete helter skelter. Thanks Joe

97EldoCoupe
12-03-10, 09:34 AM
Order processed. I've got them back in stock now so work has commenced once again. Thanks Joe! :thumbsup:

I will do everything in my power to ensure I will never run out of studs again-

Ranger
12-03-10, 12:42 PM
I am moving my shop also Jake but i need some more studs.{. 2000 sts} My customer was gonna get them himself but says he is having problems reaching you. I have 1 Number but it did not work.. Call me 847 878 5676 or send them like b4 and call me for payment?. 40 cars repaired! Hope your move is going well as mine has been complete helter skelter. Thanks Joe
Joe, that is a different number than is on the last card you gave me. Is that number no longer any good? I need to stop by and get another card with the new number and address.

edb150
12-05-10, 12:26 AM
Ranger thats my cell #. The other one is call forwarded to my cell so either # will get me. New address is 255 n eric dr palatine il 60067 ( 2 blocks east of the old shop

ThumperPup
12-05-10, 10:21 PM
Hey Joe i hope that your Move when smoothly or is going smoothly