: Level ride on 77 fleetwood???

77-79 Cadillac
11-15-10, 12:15 PM
I just changed the shocks on my Cad, I didn't know it had a level ride system on it. I didn't know it was available back then. It was not working. Any ideas on why it wasn't working? Also how far can I adjust the timing without plugging off any vacuum lines, what advantages will I get from it? If I want to plug the vacuum line what advantages will I see? It's a California car with all the smog control stuff still on it, it's fuel injected what can i take off and still run good? It idle fast right now and takes a long time to kick down.

csbuckn
11-15-10, 01:03 PM
Do you need to pass California smog test?

77-79 Cadillac
11-15-10, 05:35 PM
Do you need to pass California smog test?

Sorry, No I live in Idaho with no emissions testing.

csbuckn
11-15-10, 05:53 PM
I think lighter springs in the distributer would give you better results then turning it. A spark advance kit.

deVille33
11-17-10, 10:19 AM
These engines are prone to operating problems because of the amount of vaccuum used to operate all the options. Check your vaccuum lines to ensure they aren't leaking.When you tune the engine, you want to set it while running at a baseline application, in order to set to specifications. All vaccuum lines from carb have to be blocked.
Your '77 had air ride? It was an option on Sedan deVilles and Fleetwood and standard on Broughams. The system worked off engine vaccuum. You will find lines running from the air cleaner to a vaccuum activated motor which is mounted on the radiator support at the left side. There is also a vaccuum line from the carb. Most likely your air lines to the shocks or from the air cleaner or carb failed. The line from the air cleaner is there to ensure you get filtered air to the motor. The motor may still operate, provided it is still connected to the carb. If it does you should hear a little "psst" noise coming from it. It was a nice operating system when in good condition. If your motor is still operating, you should consider putting air shocks in the back. Cars with this system also had an stabilizing bar at the rear axle.