: Well now that i am getting a free new exhaust...

drewb612
09-19-04, 07:39 PM
Since the valet company is responsible for a lot of money, Long cadillac quoted me 2176$ for repairs, i have no problem getting a new exhaust system. So basically if money was no option, and i wanted the nicest cat-back system i could get for my 1997 Deville, what would you do. I plan to take it to Lou's custom exhaust in Reading Mass to have the work done.

So with money being virtually no object, here is what i need to know.
What system should i get? Flowmasters, borla, corsa...ect

I dont want something that sounds like a ricey v6, and i dont want something that will wake up my entire neighborhood when i drive through at night. So basically post your suggestions, comments, ect and i will make a decision. Also post pics if you have them, tip suggestions, ect.

Also how much HP am i looking at about, and mpg increase?

Eldyfig
09-19-04, 11:19 PM
From what I have read, flowmasters would be too loud. Corsa makes a sytem for the caddy. Maybe one of the guys with a Corsa system will give you that info. Here is the page I looked at before I got my exhaust done: http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/stsmuffler.htm. I went with the Dynomax Super Turbos. If money is not an issue, you would probably bypass the Dynomax's. Go with a higher end exhaust. Anyways, these are the tips I put on them. Got them from here: http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyframes.html. Here is a pic of tips from that site:

drewb612
09-19-04, 11:21 PM
From what I have read, flowmasters would be too loud. Corsa makes a sytem for the caddy. Maybe one of the guys with a Corsa system will give you that info. Here is the page I looked at before I got my exhaust done: http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/stsmuffler.htm. I went with the Dynomax Super Turbos. If money is not an issue, you would probably bypass the Dynomax's. Go with a higher end exhaust. Anyways, these are the tips I put on them. Got them from here: http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyframes.html. Here is a pic of tips from that site:

very very informative, thanks alot man, keep em coming! :)

foo
09-20-04, 12:44 AM
I would go with the corsa exhaust. GM 'certified' exhaust. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. I have it and while it is pretty loud, if you drive real slow it gets pretty darn quiet so you won't wake anyone up unless you push the pedal to the floor outside their house :)

drewb612
09-21-04, 12:04 AM
I would go with the corsa exhaust. GM 'certified' exhaust. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. I have it and while it is pretty loud, if you drive real slow it gets pretty darn quiet so you won't wake anyone up unless you push the pedal to the floor outside their house :)

can my dealer install it (long cadillac), is it any more then the stock system new

foo
09-21-04, 12:14 AM
It's about $1000, and it's a complete system from behind the cat all the way back. All stainless steel, lifetime warranty, etc.. I have no clue how much the dealer system is.
I would go ahead a buy a high flow cat also, although your car will stink a little more, but it will be much louder with a hi flo

drewb612
09-21-04, 10:50 PM
It's about $1000, and it's a complete system from behind the cat all the way back. All stainless steel, lifetime warranty, etc.. I have no clue how much the dealer system is.
I would go ahead a buy a high flow cat also, although your car will stink a little more, but it will be much louder with a hi flo

dont even need it, plus i doubt it covered

davestpierre
09-22-04, 02:31 AM
I tryed to get corsa exhaust system for my 97 sts. I called corsa & they told me only for 99 caddy & up. good luck DAVE! :banghead:

drewb612
09-22-04, 08:57 AM
I tryed to get corsa exhaust system for my 97 sts. I called corsa & they told me only for 99 caddy & up. good luck DAVE! :banghead:

well if i took my car to a custom exhaust shop and they did they order and all the work necesary to install it, think they could do it?

K2K
09-22-04, 09:58 AM
I think Corsa is only for 1999's and up?

You could just do a custom 2.5" pipe system with the aftermarket mufflers of your choice. It's a very affordable and nice option.

And it would take a lost of customization meaning about $1000 on top of the $2000 you spent for the original system.

drewb612
09-22-04, 12:41 PM
I think Corsa is only for 1999's and up?

You could just do a custom 2.5" pipe system with the aftermarket mufflers of your choice. It's a very affordable and nice option.

And it would take a lost of customization meaning about $1000 on top of the $2000 you spent for the original system.

isnt the corsa 1000? Well i dont see why it wouldnt fit? Is it just completely different bends?

Well even if i go the custom route from the cat back, whats that probably gonna run...also what is the difference or advantages between 2.5 and 3 inch, also what mufflers would be the best choice then? Can i use corsa mufflers, im so lost on this. Insurance comes out tomorow, i need to make a decision soon

drewb612
09-28-04, 05:33 PM
turns out now im just getting basically new y-pipe, clamps, mufflers, and tips

So if im getting mufflers and nothing else, and money is no option, should i go with borla, corsa, flowmaster, magnaflow, ect

thanks!

JSMeloche
09-29-04, 02:34 PM
Magnaflow are nice and made from Stainless steel, should last a bit more then the regular or aluminized one.
I think Edelbrock also makes SS one, but i dont know for the sound

Rick99STS
10-01-04, 07:59 PM
Drew, I went with the Corsa on my 99. Awesome system, about a 20hp increase. You really feel it above 50mph or so. Great sound too. Lots of looks and comments. Check out Corsa's website, you can actually hear them on the web. Lifetime warranty, but here is the biggie, the sound ALWAYS stays the same. It doesn't change as time goes by because there is no packing material inside the mufflers. All the other systems that I looked at get louder over time. In addition Corsa's technology allows the noise to be directed out the back instead of inside the car. When you are just cruising the rumble is much more quite inside the car than some of the other systems you mentioned. Bad news, as said before, 99 STS and above only. They don't sell mufflers only but I've heard that they've made exceptions before so you might give them a call. I know they are getting bigger so they may not be as flexible anymore. Good luck.

drewb612
10-01-04, 08:03 PM
illl shout them an email, all i want is the mufflers and tips

pjohnesq
10-05-04, 08:37 PM
I went with the Magnaflow system..dual chrome tips. Got it thru my dealer who did the istallation at my 15K service. Definitely feel (and hear) the difference. Nice growl! Sorry 'bout the bumper sticker...been getting a lot of "slack" about it in this forum :canttalk:

Eldyfig
10-05-04, 10:21 PM
Why apologize?

sprucegoose
10-05-04, 10:24 PM
Really! I love those exhaust tips, and the bumper stricker! :thumbsup:

drewb612
10-05-04, 10:54 PM
I went with the Magnaflow system..dual chrome tips. Got it thru my dealer who did the istallation at my 15K service. Definitely feel (and hear) the difference. Nice growl! Sorry 'bout the bumper sticker...been getting a lot of "slack" about it in this forum :canttalk:

would probly be too loud for me

danbuc
10-05-04, 11:20 PM
I've got a '98 STS and I have the Corsa system. Their system only fits the newer body style (98-03). I have been very pleased with it. They say that they dino tested a '99 STS and it made about 20 hp more. If you call them up, they might be able to tell you if you can get it to fit a 97 with a few adjustments. They designed the pieces to clamp together so it might be possible. If you are looking to spend more than $1000 on an exhaust system, if you can get it to fit, the Corsa exhaust is in my opinion the nicest choice. Their system is actually an officially licensed GM product since it was used on the STSi pace cars for the Le Mans road race. This is their web site. http://www.corsaperf.com/autohome.htm . They would be able to tell you if it would fit and a good shop should be able to do it no problem. I'll try to post a pic for you and if I can, a sound clip. Good luck.

drewb612
10-05-04, 11:24 PM
I've got a '98 STS and I have the Corsa system. Their system only fits the newer body style (98-03). I have been very pleased with it. They say that they dino tested a '99 STS and it made about 20 hp more. If you call them up, they might be able to tell you if you can get it to fit a 97 with a few adjustments. They designed the pieces to clamp together so it might be possible. If you are looking to spend more than $1000 on an exhaust system, if you can get it to fit, the Corsa exhaust is in my opinion the nicest choice. Their system is actually an officially licensed GM product since it was used on the STSi pace cars for the Le Mans road race. This is their web site. http://www.corsaperf.com/autohome.htm . They would be able to tell you if it would fit and a good shop should be able to do it no problem. I'll try to post a pic for you and if I can, a sound clip. Good luck.

thanks, but all i think i really need is from the y pipe back

Martialartsguy
03-29-05, 12:24 PM
I have a 00 Deville and i installed a Borla system in my car, Its the best bang for your buck. Corsa is to over rated and pricy and the flowmasters make it sound like a mack truck. But the Borla system is so clean. It sounds awsome and its very little noise in side you ride but once you punch it it will sound like a a high end sports car. Borla is my pick. :hide: