Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  68' Big Body 
#1 ·
i was told that by using an electric fan i could free up a couple horses by takining the fan and fan cluthch off. has anyone done this??? :hmm:

#2 ·
It makes a huge difference. Right now I've got one of those old 60s style fixed blade ones on my 80 and it really sucks. I've been looking at various late model cars to find a good fitting electric set-up. A 99 Intrepid has a double fan set-up which will cover the core just about perfect. It has to be wired in with the proper temp switch and relay though. The car's going down for the winter, so that's when i'll hit the junkyards and start looking.

#3 · (Edited)
Hay man thanx for the advice. I’ve been looking at fans lately and I think I’m going to go with summit racings adjustable electric fan. It has 18" diameter and pulls 2100cfm. I think that will be enough but I have yet to be able to find out what the stock fan would pull. Anybody know?

By the way I turn 21 today woh ho!! :cheers: :banana: :drinker

#4 ·
Happy birthday, oh to be young again!!! The Summit fan is probably the cleanest route to go. I haven't seen one, but I would think an 18'' fan would be best with some kind of shroud that pulled air across the whole radiator. Otherwise the air pull would only cover the width of the fan. That's my rationale for getting a 2 fan set-up with the shroud as part of it. I want something that will pretty much cover the whole core.

#6 · (Edited)
Today I pulled out just about every part of the NON working A/C that I could find. That Compressor weighs 33 Lbs alone, the Condenser is another 12 Lbs. That's 45 Lbs right there, then there's the hoses, fittings, brackets and such that easily add up to another 15-20 Lbs. I haven't even pulled the Box from the firewall yet and emptied it's contents, I'm sure that'll be another 15 Lbs.
About 75 Lbs I figure for all of the A/C parts. This was required because I then fitted a Edelbrock Intake Manifold, the stock unit is 47 Lbs by the way and the EB is about 25 Lbs, so there saves 22 Lbs more for a total weight saving of nearly 100 Lbs, and the engine bay looks cleaner and because the radiator is right up front, it'll run cooler as well. In a car I drive daily I'd keep the A/C, but in the Fleetwood it's been pulled and the parts will be stored.

By the way; 7 Lbs is the same as 1 hp. So today I gained about 14 hp from the weight savings alone, then another 20 hp from the intake, a 34 hp gain.

:coolgleam
See Ya,
Phil

#7 ·
thats awsome!! my compresor was in my trunk when i got the car. is the condensor that radiator looking thing that sitts infront of the radiator? i'd love to rip that thing out. i've got the electric fan mounted and running. that thing pulls some major air!! it was just a bit to big to mont the fan shroud though but i'm not worried about it. i dont think it served a purpose any how. my timing was way off and my exhuast was all crimped up so my car over heated :bonkers: but i just parked it and let that fan run for about 5 minutes and it was cool as can be :)

#8 ·
Indeed that is the part I'm speaking of. It sits in front of the radiator and does nothing, it's about 12 lbs easily, remove the line while your at it and if where the lines attach near the firewall, soak them a bit in PB Blaster or so for a hour prior to removal. The Condenser actually come up from the TOP and isw easy to remove. That Compressor really is 33-34 lbs cause I weighed it. Just remember tho trty abnd remove thing and not destroy them in the process, one because if you ever sold the car you could possibly include them and if you ever wanted to re-install them ( yeah right ) you'd have all the parts for the job. Also you could consider selling those parts individually on EBAY and use the cash to get Dual Exhaust.... :thumbsup:

Good job on the fan transplant, sounds like an easy swap. I'll leave that alone for now cause I like the big ass, blowing all kinds of air fan that's stock. I'll tell you, when you're under the hood and you grab that throttle linkage and pull back til the secondaries open up... that sucker blows some mad air..

The Edelbrock Intake is a very positive improvement indeed, the car feels light and picks up quick, easily a 100 lb difference.

It's not 5 point slow quick but it's good for a 5,000 Lb Caddy.

:coolgleam

See Ya,
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.