: cold suspension rattle

stoveguyy
11-14-10, 03:31 PM
96 sts. i get a rattle from front suspension only when cold. feels like a rattle that could be from the sway bar links or maybe swaybar bushings? did replace an inner and outer tie rod on both sides recently. only notice it for first several miles. can go to store. stop and than coming home there is no noise. are there any suspension bits that can quiet down as the car is driven? how about a worn CV joint? do they make noise when cold and quiet down as the car is driven?

spencerk73
02-20-11, 04:11 PM
I'd try to get under the car (while it's off) and grab different components and see if one has excessive play in it. Just a quick way to check for anything obvious. BTW things do expand when they get warm

stoveguyy
02-22-11, 11:24 PM
the strut bellows inside spring is clamped at top but loose at bottom. the spring seat has lots of snow/ice that melts and than builds up so it could come and go. sound is worse below 15F? bellow is pretty stiff plastic. i think bellow should be extended and clamped at bottom to keep strut clean?

Rusty058
02-25-11, 11:12 PM
96 sts. i get a rattle from front suspension only when cold. feels like a rattle that could be from the sway bar links or maybe swaybar bushings? did replace an inner and outer tie rod on both sides recently. only notice it for first several miles. can go to store. stop and than coming home there is no noise. are there any suspension bits that can quiet down as the car is driven? how about a worn CV joint? do they make noise when cold and quiet down as the car is driven?

I had the exact same symptoms you describe on my DTS.I have an appointment next week to have a strut mount replaced

stoveguyy
03-01-11, 12:00 PM
replacing the strut mount is a bit of work. probably need to check alignment on my car. a 06 probably not. i put new struts/mounts in my grand prix last summer. fun job.