: Upper IntermEdiate Steering Shaft Seal

HUF
11-14-10, 12:00 AM
The upper intermediate steering shaft seal has raptured and the joint leaks grease (see the picture). Any part number for that rubber part? Can the lack of grease result in poor steering wheel returnability to the center?

csbuckn
11-14-10, 01:23 AM
I believe this is the part I read about over at the SS forum. They say to use a shaft from a Cherokee to eliminate this joint. The Cherokee shaft has a U-joint type connection instead of this sealed rubber piece. Its supposed to give you more feel of the car also.

HUF
11-14-10, 07:39 PM
I believe this is the part I read about over at the SS forum. They say to use a shaft from a Cherokee to eliminate this joint. The Cherokee shaft has a U-joint type connection instead of this sealed rubber piece. Its supposed to give you more feel of the car also.

Csbuckn,

Thank you for the reply. So, it looks like whole shaft has to be replaced... I am not happy with the steering of this car (poor returnability, lack of that "feel of the car", etc.) but have to wait till spring to take care of it.

csbuckn
11-14-10, 09:30 PM
Yea, if you go over to the impala forum and look up the steering shaft upgrade, it tells you all the ups and downs of using the Cherokee one. I do plan on getting one myself when I swap out my gearbox. They do say you get more steering wheel vibration though.