: 94 Brougham Steering Jerky

AZ1fleetwood
11-13-10, 09:42 PM
Steering on my 94 RWD Brougham when you turn it to the left just off of center, it acts like it catchs and then jerks is this a common problem, what causes it and what does it take to fix it.

CBodyFan
11-13-10, 10:26 PM
Sounds like it needs new bushings.

jayoldschool
11-13-10, 11:23 PM
Believe it or not, jerky steering on the LT1 cars is usually caused by a leaking water pump. The pump drips on the belt, and causes it to slip at low speeds when the steering pump is working hard. With the car cold, reach underneath the water pump and feel the bottom. If you find any moisture, you have found the problem, and it is time for a new water pump.

HUF
11-14-10, 12:38 AM
How's the fluid level?

CadillacPimpinNOLA
11-14-10, 12:54 PM
you guys sure this isnt the VVS. had it on my car and damn near every other 90+ GM vehicle it limits the power steering when going straight then cuts in when you turn to have power steering.

look for the white and black ring on the steering shaft under the hood, follow the wires to the connector near by, unplug it and the go driving see if it goes away

chillpsp
11-14-10, 02:47 PM
I just had the same problem. Noticed when the car was cold and moving very slow. The waterpump was leaking onto the belt. Very small leak. Replaced pump and belt.

AZ1fleetwood
11-14-10, 07:00 PM
That sounds reasonable, however, the shaft is rusty and the only wires I see are around a switch that is in the form a a ring that goes around the shaft below where the shift linkage hooks up. Is this what you are talking about? I appreciate your help

AZ1fleetwood
11-14-10, 08:14 PM
The VVS was the problem. I unpluged the wire going to the pump and that took care of the problem.
It does steer much easier, but that is OK. I have bad shoulders anyway.

What do you do if you want to correct the problem and restore the VVS. Is it the pump or a control senser somewhere. Just Curious. Thanks for you help

CadillacPimpinNOLA
11-14-10, 10:54 PM
hooray i got it right

its that plastic ring on the steering shaft. its almost near the firewall, it doesnt hurt to leave it unplug but if you must have it, change that sensor not the pump

CadillacPimpinNOLA
11-14-10, 11:01 PM
i made a mistake calling it the VVS its the VES

turbojimmy
11-15-10, 12:33 PM
Mine does the same thing. It's scary at highway speeds. I replaced all of the linkage underneath and it helped a great deal, but there is still that "dead spot" and then suddenly it reacts. I'll have to unplug the VES to see if that helps....once I have an engine in the car.

HUF
11-15-10, 12:41 PM
That VES thing is nothing but annoyance.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
11-15-10, 01:54 PM
yes it sure is annoying, had to get the sun gun out at work just to get a pic for those who dont know what it is or where it is

the gray and black ring around the column just infront of the shift linkage. the wires coming off the lower right side and plugs into the harness you can see right below the brake booster. unplug it and solve your problem

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/SlimmSaltine/2010-11-15105737.jpg

turbojimmy
11-15-10, 04:04 PM
I'll do that for now. The "right" way to fix it is that ring, right? Is it the Steering Wheel Position Sensor? That's what they called it on my Deville, but it was inside the car. Looks the same though.