: Best window cleaner to use?

ESCALADE132
11-13-10, 05:45 PM
What do you think is the best window cleaner to use that does not leave streak marks? Meguiars,Rain X? I use micro fiber towels but seen to leave some lint behind. I have hear newspaper works good and heard some people use vinegar and water.
Thanks 4 the help!

K9Caddy
11-13-10, 05:57 PM
Stoner's Invisible Glass

Btw, I usually use plain white paper towels or a good quality towel. I have no issues with any lint left behind. However, I use Zaino bros towels pretty much exclusively.

2007caddy
11-13-10, 07:30 PM
Invisible Glass by Stoner hands down, only wash your micro fibre towels with other micro fibre towels, don't mix with other laundry...also don't use fabric softener and hang dry only...that should help with the lint leftover issue....plus I have over 100 micro fibre towels so once they start to not deliver " out they go "....with Black vehicle I have to go to extreme measures to prevent swirls, scratches and leftover lint.

ESCALADE132
11-13-10, 10:21 PM
thanks for the help I will go get some Stoners tomorrow. I wash my micro fiber towels by themselves but do put them in the dryer and use fabric softner. So I will stop using the fab. soft? I have to many towels not to put them in the dryer though!!

K9Caddy
11-14-10, 12:19 AM
Fabric softener will leave residue on your towels and will streak the crap out of the paint. I even use dye free detergent or micro fiber wash and rinse twice...

chris12
11-14-10, 12:55 AM
Fabric softener will leave residue on your towels and will streak the crap out of the paint. I even use dye free detergent or micro fiber wash and rinse twice...

I just use them once then toss em. I have my wife buy a big pack at Costco every once in a while. I think they're pretty cheap, but of course I wouldn't know for sure because I never do the shopping.

ESCALADE132
11-15-10, 10:22 AM
K9 Caddy what is micro fiber wash?

K9Caddy
11-15-10, 11:35 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/pin620.html

ESCALADE132
11-15-10, 11:39 AM
I will buy some, so does it really work and you like it?

K9Caddy
11-15-10, 12:25 PM
It's suppose to make the towels last longer... Seems to work good. I also use the Tide "dye free" detergent on my towels, cleans them just as good.

chadbaaronson
11-15-10, 12:55 PM
I've been in the car wash industry for over 20 years. We've done many experiments on windows / window cleaners / towels etc.

More importantly than which cleaner to use is the procedure for cleaning, and the type of towel.

We go thru about 50 dozen towels per month per location. Once they are washed a few times they need to be thrown out because the washing process and repeated use breaks down the fibers which results in lint. We use a 16" x 27" terry cloth towel of good quality. When cleaning windows, make sure the towel is slightly damp, slightly damp towels absorb better. Never use any window cleaner that has a fragrance to it. The ingredient that is used to create the fragrance is a oil. Oil streaks windows. When washing your towels NEVER use detergent of any kind even if its dye free and perfume free. They all leave a residue on the towels which will result in streaky windows. There is plenty of "cleaner" left over in the towels after you wash your windows to effectively clean the towels for next use. Plain water will work just fine, as the towels are only used for windows and not grease, oil, dirt, etc. Never mix window towels with body towels or any other laundry. Wash them separately. Never use paper towels, especially if they have a print on them. There is dye in the print. As far as cleaners are concerned, I've found Glance from Johnson Diversity or Master Blend glass cleaner from simoniz to be the top two. Remember to evenly coat the window your cleaning. If you use to little spray you will only drag the dirt around and smear it. And remember the window towels should be a little damp (7 - 10 mins in dryer after washing machine extract will be fine)

When you get a batch of new towels, follow this 'break in' procedure and you'll have perfect windows every time. (this is taken from the manufacturer of the towels we use)
* Soak new towels in several gallons of water, along with a cup of ammonia, and leave overnight. Wash the next day with a cup of distilled vinegar.
* Fully dry the towels after the first few washings to collect the excess lint. Empty the lint trap after every load.
* Never use bleach. Bleach breaks down the cotton fibers, resulting in lint.
* Avoid washing old towels with new towels.
* Avoid washing window towels, detail towels and body towels together.
* Don't use Fabric Softener.
* Use hot water for the first few washings. It will help to break in the towels more quickly. If hot water is not available, bring the towels to a Laundromat or commercial laundry where they can be washed for a minimum of 8 minutes with a water temperature greater than 168 degrees.
* Use fresh water each laundry load, because reusing water will retain lint.
* Darker colors take longer to break in then lighter colors or white.
* Add 1 cup of distilled vinegar once a week. The vinegar will help to remove musty damp smells, and wax build up from the towel.
* By increasing the alkalinity of the water, you can also help to open the fibers and diminish the sizing during the break-in period.

If you like to use microfiber towels here is their guide for those . . .
CARING FOR YOUR MICROFIBER

* Use microfiber dry for polishing and dusting. Use slightly damp for cleaning.
* Machine wash in cold or warm water. Water temperature should not exceed 100 F
* Air dry or tumble dry low on coolest setting. Please make sure dryer has fully cooled off from previous load.
* NEVER use bleach, fabric softener or any laundry detergents
* NEVER wash microfiber towels with other laundry, especially cotton terry towels

K9Caddy
11-15-10, 05:19 PM
It all looks good, but I do not agree with not using any detergent when washing the towels. I have had zero issues with leaving any residue behind, especially running any extra rinse cycle. I've been doing this for years without any problems...

killer67
11-15-10, 09:23 PM
Chad,

How do you wash/wax a truck has venture shield or any other clear paint protector? Thanks for great tips!