: Engine Swap - It begins!

turbojimmy
11-13-10, 03:26 PM
Finally dug in on the engine work today. I have most of the top stuff done, moving underneath next. Nothing shocking or difficult so far, just tedious. The front of the car is so long I had to remove the bumper in order to get the engine hoist to reach the engine.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy-1.jpg

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy-2.jpg

Hope to lift it out in the morning.

Jim

turbojimmy
11-14-10, 06:19 PM
Did some more work today. Finishing in a weekend was ambitious. I could have put more time into it, but I guess I'm gettin old. I get worn out after 6 or 8 hours.

The "new" engine is about ready to go in. I need an EGR gasket and a shorter bolt for where we tapped the new exhaust manifold hole.

It's a long job but not necessarily difficult. You can get at all the bell housing bolts so I left the transmission in place. I hope to be done by Wednesday.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_engine_swap-4.jpg

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_engine_swap-3.jpg

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_engine_swap-2.jpg

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_engine_swap-1.jpg

Jim

Stingroo
11-14-10, 06:28 PM
Awesomeness. I wish I had the mechanical skill for this. :(

jayoldschool
11-14-10, 06:51 PM
Nice work!

Do me a favour: let me know the size of that bolt that holds the trans dipstick to the back of the block. I need to reinstall that wiring bracket on my SS. Removed the dip stick when I put in the six speed...

turbojimmy
11-14-10, 08:35 PM
Awesomeness. I wish I had the mechanical skill for this. :(

Thanks! It doesn't require any special skills, but it doesn't hurt to have done it many, many times before :-)

Nice work!

Do me a favour: let me know the size of that bolt that holds the trans dipstick to the back of the block. I need to reinstall that wiring bracket on my SS. Removed the dip stick when I put in the six speed...

Funny you should mention that. When I was lifting the engine out I noticed that the dipstick tube was coming up with it, despite the fact that the transmission was disconnected. My amazing powers of deduction let me to realize that the dipstick tube must be bolted to the back of the head, which it was. Trouble was that the engine wouldn't sit back down where it was, limiting access to the bolt. After some screwing around with it my brother was able to get a wrench on it and we unhooked it. I'll check it out tomorrow - same size bolt that holds the wiring harness to the head on the LH side.

Stingroo
11-14-10, 08:42 PM
Trust me, the skills it requires that you don't deem "special" - I probably don't have. :lol:

turbojimmy
11-15-10, 03:08 PM
Okay. Took my lunch hour today to drop the new engine in. Yes, it looks almost exactly the same but trust me, this is a pic of the "new" one. It is MUCH cleaner than the old one. Doesn't appear to have been leaking anything. With the help of my brother, it dropped in there in less than 15 minutes. The transmission pins on the back of the engine found their mark and we snugged it up with a couple of bellhousing bolts. Now it's time to hook everything up!

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_engine_swap-5.jpg

outsider
11-15-10, 03:12 PM
good job man! looks like it's coming along nicely! can't wait for you to fire it up

MudAnt
11-15-10, 09:30 PM
I had no idea an engine swap could be done so quickly. This is like an ultra-condensed version of Matt's engine swap thread!

turbojimmy
11-16-10, 09:04 AM
I had no idea an engine swap could be done so quickly. This is like an ultra-condensed version of Matt's engine swap thread!

This is a really basic swap. The old engine and new engine are identical so it's easy. All the sensors and fuel injectors are installed on it. It's totally plug-n-play. I just had to swap over the exhaust manifolds and accessories (alternator, PS pump, a/c compressor).

Ususally it goes a lot faster. In my younger days I'd have had I have driven that car out of the garage Sunday afternoon. But, there are other things competing for my time these days. And I run out of steam after wrenching for too long. Leaning over the fenders is hell on your back....seems like my knuckles take longer to heal too :-)

EDIT: Wouldn't you know I cursed myself with the above statement ("plug-n-play"). The last friggin sensor to plug in was the coolant temp sensor under the RH exhaust manifold. I struggled with it for 15 minutes but it wouldn't plug in. Turns out the Chevy sensor was different (the "new" engine is out of a Caprice). Swapped it out for the Caddy one...

Cadillacboy
11-16-10, 11:40 AM
Kudos to you , I appreciate such a job that requires high skill level :)

jcolliga40
11-16-10, 03:48 PM
Awesome man I will be doing the same with mine soon enough going from the 30 7 to the 350 in my 86 Brougham. Hopefully goes as smooth as this looks like it did.

outsider
11-16-10, 04:09 PM
Did you fire it up yet Jimmy? :D I'm anxious to hear

turbojimmy
11-16-10, 04:58 PM
Not yet. Been working (like real work - my job). Will be digging back into it soon. Hope to fire it up tonight. Need to run to Home Depot for some nuts for the exhaust....also perplexed by an "extra" red connector over by the alternator. I took lots of pics but I don't see it in any of them.

turbojimmy
11-16-10, 09:35 PM
Well, it's all ready to go. Last step was to hook up the oil cooler lines on the new radiator. But they wouldn't fit. Got the wrong one from Rock Auto. Trans lines fit, but not the oil cooler lines. I sent them an e-mail, but I'm hosed now. I may try to find a union to loop the cooler lines together so I can get it out of the garage.

turbojimmy
11-17-10, 09:00 PM
And so begins the negotiations with Rock Auto. Their customer care people are very responsive, but thus far ineffective. I put the bumper and headlights back in the car today, will do the hood tomorrow. So it's literally ready to drive out of the garage....if I had a radiator.

Rock Auto called Spectra who insisted that there are only two sizes of oil cooler fittings: M20 and 3/4". These two sizes are very close and they claim they provide an adapter. They did not. Plus, my fittings are neither of those sizes. Rock is working with Spectra as my limo blocks access to my dad's garage.

The correct radiator is apparently a towing option radiator, but when you look for a towing option radiator the criteria is a manual fan (versus electric). My car has electric fans (3 of them, actually). They can't fathom a situation where a heavy duty cooling option would make its way into a non-towing package car (i.e., a V4U limo).

So, I guess I'm going to have to cross reference my old radiator, order it from Rock and try to get them to make good on the difference.

jayoldschool
11-17-10, 09:24 PM
Are the tanks bad on the old rad, or the core? If it is the core, why not get it re-cored?

turbojimmy
11-17-10, 09:30 PM
Are the tanks bad on the old rad, or the core? If it is the core, why not get it re-cored?

One of the tanks is bad :-(

I rolled the dice with the only HD radiator that Rock Auto lists that cross-references with GM's HD radiator part number. It will be here Friday. I'm just going to have to return the other one. Hopefully the new(er) one will work. The Rock Auto guy claims that the Spectra radiator cross-references to both HD and standard cooling on the Cadillac. If that were the case, I'd be pimpin' in my limo instead of whining on the Internet.

As usual, the aftermarket catalog is all f'd up. If I look at a Caprice with HD cooling, it says "with engine oil cooler", and it gives me the same part number as the Fleetwood radiator with the manual fan. I'm reasonably sure that the Caprice that my engine came out of had a manual fan because it had an extra pulley hanging off the balancer. The oil cooler lines were cut, though, so I don't know what size the fittings were.

turbojimmy
11-19-10, 04:32 PM
So the radiator came in today and it is correct! It has 1/2" fittings, but came with adapters to bring it up to 5/8" for the oil cooler lines. It also came with the brackets on the top and bottom for the electric fans. The Spectra radiator came with none of that. Rock Auto took the Spectra back for a full refund.

Now I have to find time to pop it in. Both my kids are sick so it's going to be a rough next couple of days....

turbojimmy
11-20-10, 04:58 PM
It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Went to crank it for the first time and the battery was stone dead. Jumped it with my brother's Z28 and it fired up immediately. After some racket while the oil got to where it needed to go, it quieted down nicely. It hadn't run since the car was totaled in July, so I expected it to run a little rough until it warmed up. It runs smooth as glass, much stronger than my 7-cylinder engine. No Check Engine light.

I picked up a new battery for it, and some Silverstar Ultra headlights. Now, I had the headlights out of it in order to remove the bumper. There's something goofy now with the amber lights in the front. They're working intermittently. I'll have to chase that down.

So, hopefully this engine-thing is behind me. I need to run it through inspection now....

Here it is idling to burn off the oil and gunk...had to open all the doors cuz the HVAC system filled the car with smoke. The liquid you see on the left side is just water from the exhaust.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_new_engine_112010.jpg

Oh yeah - the "new" new radiator fit. Required adapters, but they were included.

outsider
11-20-10, 05:46 PM
good job man! :D

csbuckn
11-21-10, 12:23 AM
Nice. I know its good to have it start up with no problems, no check engine light, knocks, ticks or suprises.

turbojimmy
11-21-10, 07:59 AM
Nice. I know its good to have it start up with no problems, no check engine light, knocks, ticks or suprises.

Well, I provided the Readers Digest version :-). I forgot to hook up the top oil cooler line, so when I first started it up it puked oil everywhere. Fixed that and then it was puking oil out at the lines down by the oil filter adapter (was missing an o-ring seal). Other than that, though, no surprises. A bit of clacking at start-up but it cleared up quickly as it built oil pressure.

Cadillacboy
11-21-10, 11:38 AM
Good job, I am happy no idiot light lol .

turbojimmy
11-21-10, 01:24 PM
Good job, I am happy no idiot light lol .

Thanks! It finally drives like the Cadillac I thought it should be. No hesitation, plenty of power, no smoke screen when I roll up to stoplights and no Valdez-like spills everywhere I park. You can't even hear the thing idling.

The parking/turn lights are driving me insane. Evidently I disturbed some sort of delicate balance. The outer ones are fine on both sides. The inners light up intermittently if I mess with the sockets. The left inner will flash and once in awhile I can get the parking lamp to come on. The right inner parking lamp comes on sometimes but I can't get it to flash. It's the stupidest thing. All I did was take them out and put them back in.

Next on the to-do list is to get the U-joints replaced and driveshaft balanced. It has a clunk when you put it in gear and a nasty vibe at 40 MPH. It has 2 driveshafts, but I suspect the double set of U-joints in the one that attaches to the rear is worn.

csbuckn
11-21-10, 02:34 PM
Sounds like the lights aren't grounded right. Maybe check the grounds for everything.

turbojimmy
11-21-10, 05:29 PM
Sounds like the lights aren't grounded right. Maybe check the grounds for everything.

That's what I thought. There's a ground behind each headlight on the rad support and both are in tact.

Believe it or not, I did disturb some delicate balance. Both inner bulbs had failed as a result of removing them from the headlights. I replaced them both and it's fine now. Sometimes the most obvious answer actually is the correct one.

jayoldschool
11-21-10, 06:16 PM
Great work, jimmy. You are an inspiration to all of us who take forever for our projects. Well, maybe just me. ;)

Stingroo
11-21-10, 07:22 PM
Wait... Jay, you've got a project?

:lol:

turbojimmy
11-21-10, 08:18 PM
Great work, jimmy. You are an inspiration to all of us who take forever for our projects. Well, maybe just me. ;)

Thanks! I don't have the room to let a project like that linger. The limo was consuming a bay reserved for my dad's '80 Vette and stuck out into half of another 2 bays in his garage. I needed to get it out of there. I'm just glad he made the garage so big when he expanded it decades ago.

The real motivation was that I really like driving the car. It's nice to have it back.

Bro-Ham
11-21-10, 11:32 PM
Glad you're back on the road! :)

outsider
11-22-10, 08:41 AM
nice work on this swap, Jimmy!

dream67caddy
01-20-11, 06:26 PM
swexy