: Empty air conditioning

shrike77
11-13-10, 08:23 AM
I am gathering parts and info for my engine swap. How do I disconnect the air conditioning and empty it?
Or can an engine swap be done without it?
Given that I go to a 4.8 vortec I imagine the lines will run differently to the compressor on the engine.

jayoldschool
11-13-10, 12:09 PM
You take it to a shop and have them empty it.

With the swap, use the compressor from the 4.8 and get new lines made. Take it back to the shop when you are all done, and get a complete flush and fill with R134a.

MudAnt
11-13-10, 01:40 PM
You're swapping a Vortec into your Brougham? I always thought that would make a great swap, never thought it could be done. Do you have a thread going about this project?

shrike77
11-13-10, 01:52 PM
Ok thanks jayoldschool for the info!

Mudant, from everything I read it is the same thing as swapping a Vortec into a Caprice which has already been done. There is a member on ls1tech.com who also helped me with some info. As you probably know a 4.8 or 5.3 Vortec engine from a truck is the same design as a LSx engine with the exception of being iron block.

Basically you need motor mount adapters, templates are on the net if you want to make them yourself.
You need to adapt the wiring on the engine to the car.
Depending which engine you get you might need an oil pan or notch your frame.
You probably need also a new cross member to mount the transmission, or mount your own.
I would guess new radiator also and you need to modify your tank so you can use a high pressure fuel pump for the FI system. You could use a carburettor but I prefer FI.
If you get the 4l60e transmission that goes with the engine then you need to do something in order for the speedometer to work.

I think those are the big steps. There are other details for sure but I did not start yet the project. When I do I will post pictures for sure with the steps I am going through. It would be the first time I attempt something like that but it shouldn't be too hard.

shrike77
11-13-10, 01:56 PM
By the way if somebody decides to attempt that and get the engine and transmission from a truck make sure it is the 2WD and not the 4WD. I did the mistake of getting the 4WD transmission and to convert it to 2WD you got to open it completely in order to change the output shaft. I mistakenly thought you only have to change the tail shaft and tail housing but no, you basically get yourself into a transmission rebuild.

sven914
11-13-10, 04:41 PM
I'm always a proponent for using R-12. If your A/C system is currently functioning then you can have a shop evacuate your system and give you the bottle of refrigerant. I don't know how well the 307's compressor will function an a Vortec, but it's something to look into. When everything is installed and you have new lines made, you can have the shop refill your A/C system, using your original refrigerant.

shrike77
11-13-10, 05:09 PM
Good option thanks, I will check into that.

I think the gentleman I bought the car from also gave me one or two cans of that refrigerant.

I'll check if the compressor can be installed on the Vortec.

R-12 should allow better cooling right?

jayoldschool
11-13-10, 05:34 PM
You sure it hasn't been switched over to 134 already?

shrike77
11-13-10, 05:52 PM
I *think* the previous owner said it had the old refrigerant, but I might be wrong. It's a detail that I am not too sure. I'll check what cans he gave me. To know for sure I have to look at the type of filling valve right?

turbojimmy
11-13-10, 05:56 PM
By the way if somebody decides to attempt that and get the engine and transmission from a truck make sure it is the 2WD and not the 4WD. I did the mistake of getting the 4WD transmission and to convert it to 2WD you got to open it completely in order to change the output shaft. I mistakenly thought you only have to change the tail shaft and tail housing but no, you basically get yourself into a transmission rebuild.

You shoulda made your Brougham 4WD :-)

sven914
11-13-10, 06:44 PM
I *think* the previous owner said it had the old refrigerant, but I might be wrong. It's a detail that I am not too sure. I'll check what cans he gave me. To know for sure I have to look at the type of filling valve right?

If the system was upgraded professionally, there would be a warning sticker on the compressor or somewhere on the fan shroud.

https://www.ackits.com/retro/40-81359.jpg

jayoldschool
11-13-10, 07:26 PM
The sure way to tell is the size of the fitting on the accumulator.