: leaks

jedrct
11-13-10, 02:22 AM
I have an 08 EXT with 30k miles and have noticed a leak just behind the oil pan and along the edge of the bell housing. The dealership doesn't know where the source is and placed dye in the oil within the engine. They want me to return to study the dye under black light after a few hundred miles. Anyone else have any experiences to share with this situation?
I also had a leak in the front differential with a winding noise on acceleration. They just rebuilt it and the noise is gone now.
Thanks

RippyPartsDept
11-13-10, 03:11 AM
go back sooner. the longer you wait the more time the oil with dye has to get all over the place and make finding the leak harder.

cadmanchris
11-14-10, 12:53 PM
There is a plate that holds the rear main seal that leaks. Also, there is a plate above the oil filter that has a gasket. My truck had that gasket leaking and the oil pan gasket was leaking. I replaced both and it has been dry since. HTH.

jedrct
11-20-10, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the input and I'll update things when I have the truck back in to service.

PreachRR
11-20-10, 09:44 AM
yea while installing a new exhaust on my 07 base model with 39K on it I noticed the same leak. goes to the dealer on monday!