: Looking for a time-sert kit or other options!!!!

demell
11-12-10, 01:46 PM
Hey everyone sorry if im posting to much but i was wondering if anyone has a time-sert kit for the 4.6 i can rent or buy??? Please also if their are other way to fix the treads please let me know!!Thanks for any advise!!

jimsbox
11-12-10, 04:58 PM
The most popular way to repair head gasket problems is with a stud kit available from Northstar Performance. They run about $550.00 but replace the original head bolts with a much more robust (larger and coarser thread) head studs. Once they are in you torque the heads down with nuts so there is no additional stress on the aluminum block as the studs are loctited in and the studs are taking the torque stress. As far as I know there have been no problems with bolts pulling again which is not the case with timeserts.

northstarperformance.com

Ranger
11-12-10, 09:53 PM
I was going to post a link to one (if it's still available), but I see you have already found it. Good luck.

demell
11-13-10, 12:32 AM
Ranger what link were you going to post i still haven't found one??? I really need one i'm ordering some inserts and now i will just need the kit to install it!! Thanks for helping me guys. I really just dont have the money to buy one for that price right now!!! What do u think she is worth now as she sits? With one head off and the other ready to unbolt???

Submariner409
11-13-10, 09:57 AM
Ranger what link were you going to post i still haven't found one??? I really need one i'm ordering some inserts and now i will just need the kit to install it!! Thanks for helping me guys. I really just dont have the money to buy one for that price right now!!! What do u think she is worth now as she sits? With one head off and the other ready to unbolt???

link: www.northstarperformance.com - studs and install kits.

What's it worth with a partially disassembled engine ?? 1999 in fair condition - maybe $1750, in poor condition - ~$1,000.

jimsbox
11-13-10, 10:17 AM
demell,

I think from your last post that you are committed to the timeserts by your reference to affording the cost of the kit. The problem is that the kits I have seen mentioned available here in the forums in the past are the tooling, the timeserts were already used. Timeserts as I understand it are a bit cheaper than studs but there is a history of multiple re-failures of timeserted engines. Another couple of options are Norm's inserts which you can find a lot about in the Northstar performance forum. Its claim to fame is again larger and coarser threads and heavier construction. I don't remeber ever hearing of them failing after being installed either. Another option is to find a junkyard engine with a warranty and swap it out, but then you don't know how it has been driven or maintained. My advice would be to do it right, do Norms or the studs and don't try to do it on the cheap as there is a lot of labor involved and no cheap option that works. Stay away from the sodium sylicate remedies, there is no long term history that I am aware of of those working and they can cause problems in the cooling system.

Good luck.

Ranger
11-13-10, 11:47 AM
Ranger what link were you going to post i still haven't found one???
The one at caddyinfo that you responded to.

RippyPartsDept
11-13-10, 12:30 PM
imho if timeserts are done correctly they're as good as studs, but i understand the theory of the mechanical engineering behind the studs and don't have a problem with it... jake's kit is probably the best for a DIY job

demell
11-13-10, 12:30 PM
Not really sure what link you are talking about Ranger sorry!!

Ranger
11-13-10, 09:26 PM
Not really sure what link you are talking about Ranger sorry!!
Post #2

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=32668

zonie77
11-14-10, 11:37 PM
If you do the timeserts be very careful cleaning the holes of all grease/oil and be consistent with the loctite. I agree that the studs are better but the timeserts are a lot cheaper if you get a used set.

97EldoCoupe
11-15-10, 09:14 PM
As one had mentioned to me "your kit is expensive but I figure it's worth the cost if I never have to pull it apart again, and also I save the $80 I would have had to pay for the new head bolts". I know head bolts are not always that pricey, but it's true, with my kit you won't need new head bolts.