: Gas Mileage

cazzara02
11-12-10, 11:48 AM
I know there are several posts about this, but I have almost 5k miles on my 2010 SRX and am getting a combined MPG of 14 mpg. I am getting between 10 and 12 mpg in the city.

This seems to be very low.

Should I look into an air filter for some increased mpg? Any thoughts?!?!?!

Ponyman
11-12-10, 02:10 PM
Ours gets around 26 highway. Never check it for city driving.

morven39
11-12-10, 02:30 PM
I have averaged 24.2 mpg for 4500 miles of mixed driving so far. My best was 26.2 mpg all expressway driving for 220 miles at about 72 mph.

Hockeytown 1340
11-12-10, 08:46 PM
On several long trips (2500 mi plus) I averaged 25.4 mpg driving 75mph. Getting 17 to 18.5 in the city.

TheCaptain
11-12-10, 09:38 PM
Either you have a really heavy foot, are in a really hilly city, or something is wrong with your fuel system...

PJ1520
11-13-10, 12:15 AM
My money is on the happy right foot and other driving habits. :D

stevec5375
11-13-10, 08:46 AM
I get around 18 mpg in the city. I live in the "Hill Country" of Central Texas. I've never measured the highway mileage because all our highways around here are gridlocked with traffic. Literally!

What amazes me about this mph is that I had a 10 year old SUV with a 3.5 liter engine that got better mileage! I was hoping that technology had improved in 10 years. Guess not.

stevec5375
11-13-10, 08:48 AM
Either you have a really heavy foot, are in a really hilly city, or something is wrong with your fuel system...

Cap'n, from the looks of the photos you've posted, your local terrain seems to be very flat. No? Also, I'm guessing, but I bet you have little to no traffic on your highways to deal with.

Razorecko
11-13-10, 12:35 PM
awd 2.8L turbo, heavy foot, averaging 18.5mpg

TheCaptain
11-13-10, 09:26 PM
Cap'n, from the looks of the photos you've posted, your local terrain seems to be very flat. No? Also, I'm guessing, but I bet you have little to no traffic on your highways to deal with.

You are dually correct Steve-o! It is a driver's almost dream around here, with the best mileage in the country located around us with us being almost smack dab in the middle, for a good 1000 kms /600 miles in any direction!!
Also, the main highway is double lane, though most others are single, there is only One million people populating 651,036 sq km / 404, 535 sq miles, and 165, 000 kms / 102, 526 of roads!! :D Though a good half of those roads are gravel. :crying:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/10%20SRX%20WinterSpring/IMG_2662.jpg

Don't worry, i never went faster then 50 kph/30mph on the gravel. :D

cazzara02
11-15-10, 08:58 AM
Not a heavy foot at all. I do live in a hilly city (Pittsburgh) but it should even out as one way to work is all down hill. I am averaging 5 mph less than all of you. Something doesnt seem right.

I am brining it in for an oil change tomorrow. Maybe I will ask the service guy what he thinks.

PJ1520
11-15-10, 11:52 AM
Pittsburgh area, cazzara? Before you start having mechanics go over your SRX looking for a problem hindering your fuel economy, a problem which very well might exist, do yourself a favor.

Get on 76 headed Eastbound out of town after 10pm one night. When and where the traffic will be thin(ning) and the toll booths are few and far between. The SRX will be warmed up. Once you are at highway speed (65mph, the speed limit, no faster), hit reset and zero out the DIC for average mpg. Drive about 50miles, avoiding as much as is reasonably possible anything that causes you to hit the brakes or engage that (happy) right foot. That would be the right lane at that speed on 76.

After 50 miles take an exit, reverse direction, and return homeward bound in the same manner, taking care to not set any acceleration records coming out of toll booths or getting back on 76 when you are reversing directions. When you take your home exit, look at the average mpg on the DIC.

Even though the terrain there is anything but flat, there will be some traffic interruptions, and there will be a couple of tolls (coast into them and accelerate moderately out of them), I'll bet you top 23mpg on that round trip, even WITH the toll booth interruptions, a car blocking your path here or there, and the terrain.

Things that kill mileage, especially on a 4,300 pound vehicle shaped like a box:

Speed: most vehicles are designed/geared to get their best fuel mileage between 45 and 55 mph. At speeds higher than that, the wind resistance nearly has a geometric negative effect on fuel mileage. Ever wonder why a lot of cars in car magazine road tests can hit 140-150mph with 300 horsepower (or less), yet a "500 or therabouts" horsepower Corvette, as aerodynamic as it is and about the same weight, has trouble topping 190....just 40 mph more with the additional 200 horsepower in a vehicle that weighs arguably 1,000 pounds less that the relatively boxy SRX? Ya can't defy the laws of physics. Period.

Your mileage issue may be as simple as this:

The brakes and the accelerator: you burn up a lot of fuel in a 4,300 pound vehicle changing speeds up, down, then back up, even changing speeds moderately. Any time you have to let off the gas to slow down and then recapture your former speed using the accelerator, you are dropping your mileage and burning more fuel. Period.

Manner of driving/driving habits: changing speeds with a more aggressive throttle burns fuel even quicker. Edmunds had an article about how to increase your fuel mileage, noting that anytime you use your brakes you are scrubbing off energy that can't be recaptured. Any time you use your accelerator to increase spead, you are burning more fuel which can't be recaptured. Smooth and consistent is the way.

My wife and I took a 3,000 mile vacation in April, Boston to Chicago, four total occupants and loaded with luggage, probably 900+ pounds of passenger and luggage weight. We drove through the Berkshires in Western MA. and the Adirondaks in Eastern New York State. Wife and I split the driving. Middle of the night with zippo traffic, same speeds (73mph), same terrain, same weather/wind, same vehicle, same radio station :-) Even with food stops and potty stops, I consistently hit 22mpg per tank while she was 10% or 2 mpg poorer. She couldn't understand why. Simple. I used cruise and made very few speed corrections with the brake and the accelerator. She did things her way, no cruise and her driving habits. This is in a FirstGen SRX4 with the relative gas guzzling 320hp V8 Northstar.

The SecondGen SRX can and will do better than that as others have posted.

Pure around town I can easily average under 10mpg goofing around or maybe 15 driving moderately. On the highway driving to New Hampshire twice a week, 95% highway and 100 miles round trip, I seldom top 19MPG. Why? 70+mph, even with a moderate right foot. No mystery.

While no two vehicles identically configured driven exactly the same way over the same road under the same weather conditions won't get the same fuel mileage, they should be within 10% of each other. So while some here top 26pmg driving pure highway on an extended jaunt, you should be able to hit 23.

If your fuel mileage is that important to you, give it a try. Otherwise, enjoy the SRX for what it is. And it isn't a Civic or a CRV.

PJ

PS: Sorry what my Patriots did to your Steelers last night.:lildevil:

cazzara02
11-15-10, 02:27 PM
Thanks Jim. Originally from Connecticut so I am not a Steeler's fan but it was sure fun to watch.

I will give it a try.

PJ1520
11-19-10, 09:44 AM
Speaking of gas mileage.....the prices are up versus a couple of months ago and this time last year. And the fuel mileage is going to go down as the Winter blend fuel is reintroduced this time of year in my neck of the woods.

Smokin' SRX
11-19-10, 11:36 AM
Adding to PJ's excellent analysis of what affects MPG, pls add TIRE PRESSURE! In my experience, being just 4PSI low can drastically affect it. I play with my tire PSI a lot, as I love a softer ride from my 20"s, when possible. Yes, tires wear faster and MPG suffers. I never go below 32-33psi, to stay safe. When I run with 32psi COLD, I see a drop of 4MPG at highway speeds. I usually just do this in warmer months and around town or shorter highway runs with just me and the Mrs, no passengers, no cargo, to avoid stressing the tire carcass and risking a blowout . On longer , 75MPH type, highway trips, 4 passengers/cargo, I go back to Factory spec of 36 psi (cold tire) or even 38psi! Ride suffers but I jump 4MPG at highway speeds. Local MPG also changes by about 3MPG, in my experience. This might get you back to normal/low MPG averages? Check the pressure weekly for awhile, either by dash or tire gauge.

The TPMS sensors seem to alert only when down to about 29lbs (cold) You're really hurting the MPG's by then....Just a thought...

Whole nother Thread going on right now, re: Tires Loosing Pressure...take a look

SS

PS..............I get about 14MPG local (heavy foot syndrome) and 20-25MPG depending on tire pressures/speeds.

rgamble
11-24-10, 08:38 AM
Just completed a 2500 mile trip with my new 2011 premier edition. Gas milage was 25.6 for the entire trip. Some flat land in the Texas panhandle and some in the Texas hill country. Love the ride and confront.

carbdude
11-30-10, 11:53 AM
AGAIN, WE'RE NOT HAPPY!

We typically get about 16-17 in town, but have never gotten any better than 21 on the hwy, driving 70 mph (using the cruise as much as possible ).

Typically the dic never changes from showing 17... Why????

V6 model - Lux Pkg. - 18" wheels @ 35lbs - I always use 88 octane fuel also!

**my father has an 2010 awd equinox V-6 , and his dic also never changes from 17mpg?

Dude

Other car is a ?
12-01-10, 02:59 AM
Do what I did......I bought shares in the oil/gas companies & buy my gas only at those retailers. They profit? I get paid dividends. My 2010 fwd base model is avg 11.4 ltrs per 100 k or 24.5 MPG (Canadian gallon) (4.55 ltr).

With the colder weather arriving the mileage will drop. Somebody else wrote on a post here that is due to the different gas the oil companies blend? They put additives for moisture control etc....
It is due to the fact that the cold air is denser (drier) & the engine requires more fuel to run.

PJ1520
12-02-10, 02:22 PM
Other.......it isn't additives. Winter formulated gasoline has a higher ethanol content, and ethanol produces less energy (by volume). Consequently, the fuel mileage drops when the Winter formulated fuels are being used.

Also consider that the best fuel mileage for any gasoline powered vehicle is achieved only when the engine has hit its operating temperature, about 190-200 degrees. Until the vehicle reaches the operating temperature, the fuel mileage is poorer. If you do a lot of short hops when it is colder outside and the engine spends more time below the optimal operating temperature, the lower fuel mileage becomes far more evident.

By the way, drag racing afficionados would beg to differ with you about cooler, more dense air. They pray for it.

Regarding holding down condensation (water) inside the fuel tank.....it is always best in the Winter to keep the gas tank closer to full. This reduces condensation in the tank.

PJ