Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Climate control problems on my 1991 . . .

13K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  CSIMME01 
#1 ·
Well I've been having issues with the climate control unit on my 1991 Brougham since I bought it. A/C and heat work great, and it blows in the appropriate vents, and keeps the correct temp.

The first issue is that the HI button quit working. This wasn't a big deal since I can just adjust the temp up or down to manipulate the fan speed.

2nd issue is that when I put it on defog or turn on the rear defroster, the display tends to flicker a little bit. Not a big deal, everything still works

Today the ECON button decided to quit working. After much prodding I finally got it to go in ECON mode. It still works fine in AUTO mode, but that runs the A/C compressor, something I don't need to do in the winter.

So what is the ultimate solution here??? Do I go to a junkyard and hope to find a climate control unit that works???

Is there a company that rebuilds these things???? Will the company that fixes broken factory radios work on this???

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually, you DO want to run the AC in the winter. It is the best thing you can do for the system. Keeps the seals sealing, and everything lubricated. On older cars that don't use AC in winter, I have to do yearly top-ups of the refrigerant. On a Caddy with electronic HVAC, the best thing to do is put it on AUTO, set a temp, and leave it there all the time.

#3 ·
That, and the A/C compressor running keeps the humidity out of the air. Try to clear a fogged up windshield without letting the A/C compressor run and you'll see what I mean. I would think the easiest and quickest solution would be to just find a new control panel from a junk yard or online.

#6 ·
I just got rid of my 92fwb and the 10 years I had it I changed the control on the dash 3 or 4 times....The last one I had worked great , I just sold it on ebay...I had one control that seamed to work fine, but, it would never shut the A/C compressor off... It did not take long until the compressor was toast and then again to a new compressor....I would just hit the junk yards and buy all the controls I could... they did tend to be a problem for me...

#7 ·
It might also be normal condition. On mine, pushing the HI, LO or ECON buttons doesn't always do anything. It depends on if the engine is at operating temperature and can deliver air at the temp you set on the ECC. Also, ECON isn't really designed for heating; it opens the vents to the outside air and takes the chill off the accumulator for a little extra cooling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.