: Installing a trunk pull down on a 78 Coupe. (TRYING TO)

stingm3
11-12-10, 03:33 AM
Can someone please SHOW or tell me what type of bracket is needed for adding a trunk pull down to a 78 Coupe DeVille. I just ordered 1 online and it didn't come with the bracket, bolts, directions, etc........ I attached a few pics of my bracket which is welded to the body. Does this bracket need to be cut off and a different style be welded in its place????? Or is their an attachment for my current bracket that the pull down will mount to? Pictures, videos of your bracket(s) or directions would be nice. Thx!

jayoldschool
11-12-10, 10:21 AM
Does this bracket need to be cut off and a different style be welded in its place?????

Yes, you need the bracket for the pull down motor. You don't have to weld it, you can screw it or use the new glues that body shops use.

stingm3
11-12-10, 01:12 PM
Yes, you need the bracket for the pull down motor. You don't have to weld it, you can screw it or use the new glues that body shops use.

Thanks my man.:thumbsup:

creeker
11-12-10, 01:40 PM
On my 80 cdv. the hook is part of the pull down motor unit, the hook has to go up and down, the hook
controls the down cycle of the trunk lid, when you open the trunk the hook goes up, and when you want to close the trunk, the hook lowers. maybe it's a different design for 78.

stingm3
11-12-10, 02:49 PM
On my 80 cdv. the hook is part of the pull down motor unit, the hook has to go up and down, the hook
controls the down cycle of the trunk lid, when you open the trunk the hook goes up, and when you want to close the trunk, the hook lowers. maybe it's a different design for 78.

Thanks. I'm not sure though. I spoke to the guy at Cadillac King who sold me the parts and he's gonna look at the car it came off of and possibly get me the bracket or steer me in the right direction as to how to get this thing mounted. I don't want to start cutting $hit and then really be STUCK:hmm:. (BUT I WILL) BET THAT!!!!!!

creeker
11-12-10, 04:48 PM
I just realized 78-79 didn't have this feature, looks like 80 was first year for this feature, I looked at
rock auto for 1980, they usually show a real good picture of items, but not this time, it would be good if you could see one in the flesh, they were used on a lot of g.m. models for many years,
That hook that you show I would say would have to be removed,the up/down hook is on the motor
of the unit that is on the car,not the trunk, all the trunk has is a small hook/clasp that connects to pull
hook on the motor, if you could send me a pick I could probably help some more.

creeker
11-12-10, 04:53 PM
I just realized 78-79 didn't have this feature, looks like 80 was first year for this feature, I looked at
rock auto for 1980, they usually show a real good picture of items, but not this time, it would be good if you could see one in the flesh, they were used on a lot of g.m. models for many years,
That hook that you show I would say would have to be removed,the up/down hook is on the motor
of the unit that is on the car,not the trunk, all the trunk has is a small hook/clasp that connects to pull
hook on the motor, if you could send me a pick I could probably help some more.

I should have said all the trunk "lid" has is a small hinged hasp that when lowered down on motorized
hook will open and grab onto the motorized hook.

bicentennialcadillac
11-12-10, 06:42 PM
AFAIK, the auto pulldown feature predates the '78 by at least a decade.

creeker
11-12-10, 07:28 PM

Rock auto doesn't show one for 78-79, does your 78 sdv. have one ?.

creeker
11-12-10, 07:35 PM
Rock auto doesn't show one for 78-79, does your 78 sdv. have one ?.

I mean your 79 sdv., I looked up features in one of my books and it shows pull down motor as an
option for 78 and 79, $80.00, it was also an option in 80, $92.00, I wonder why rock auto would show one for 1980 but not 78-79?.

jayoldschool
11-12-10, 07:40 PM

My 81 has it, and mom's 84 does too.

brougham
11-12-10, 08:51 PM
You should get pictures from someone with another 70s Cadillac that has it to see what you have to do for the bracket. The 70s pull down was different then the 80s one- the motor goes somewhere else in the trunk and isn't part of the latch. I think thats what that blue thing might be in your picture.
Just because Rock Auto doesn't sell it doesn't mean it wasn't available for that year. It just means that they don't stock the part.

creeker
11-12-10, 08:55 PM
You should get pictures from someone with another 70s Cadillac that has it to see what you have to do for the bracket. The 70s pull down was different then the 80s one- the motor goes somewhere else in the trunk and isn't part of the latch. I think thats what that blue thing might be in your picture.
Just because Rock Auto doesn't sell it doesn't mean it wasn't available for that year. It just means that they don't stock the part.

Good to know that 70's are different from 80's, a picture or actual car is worth a thousand words.

stingm3
11-13-10, 01:15 AM
What's up peoples. Thanks for all the info and responses, I really appreciate it. The dude at Cadillac King sent me pictures of the type of bracket that I need. It looks as if it can possibly be made out of 1/4" steel or he said on of his guys can cut it out the car. I just hope it's a clean cut.

stingm3
11-13-10, 01:24 AM
Here are the pictures.

cadillac_al
11-13-10, 10:44 AM
Is yours cable operated? You can see the cable in your bracket pictures. The motor mounts to the tailight. That is on my list of things to fix on my 77 Fleetwood. I'm not looking forward to it. It seems a little different than the newer ones I'm used to. I was surprised my 78 coupe doesn't have one. I thought it must have been a stripped down Caddy or something but maybe it wasn't available for a couple years. (GM probably hated fixing them but had to bring the feature back when customers missed it.)

stingm3
11-13-10, 12:19 PM
Yes, mine is cable operated. From what I understand the newer motors are all 1 unit. (Which might/would be a better idea seems as well I have to alter or fabricate a bracket of some sort to make it usable) I wouldn't have to worry about mounting the motor elsewhere and it would have been cheaper.......Oh well!!!!

1980coupe
11-15-10, 12:32 AM
my 78 coupe has the pull down option but not the 79 coupe. My 80 does!