: wireless speakers

creeker
11-12-10, 01:14 AM
The rear speakers I have in my 80 cdv. are not very good, all I can buy is 4"x 6",
has anyone tried wireless speakers in their car ?, I cant hard wire external speakers,
in order to get my collector car insurance rate ($240.00 per year) I cant
alter the car at all.

outsider
11-12-10, 09:48 AM
Never tried wireless speakers for anything. I'd imagine it would be shitty, though. YOu'd have to change the battery out like every week or something :D

Why can't you get speakers the right size?

creeker
11-12-10, 01:10 PM
Never tried wireless speakers for anything. I'd imagine it would be shitty, though. YOu'd have to change the battery out like every week or something :D

Why can't you get speakers the right size?

I have heard wireless speakers in use in a house , they sound fine, within reason I dont know why they would be hard on batteries,the rear deck in my 80 cdv.
is not very deep, so it will not take a larger speaker.

creeker
11-12-10, 01:46 PM
I have heard wireless speakers in use in a house , they sound fine, within reason I dont know why they would be hard on batteries,the rear deck in my 80 cdv.
is not very deep, so it will not take a larger speaker.

Forgot to mention that 4" x 6" is the correct size for my car.

outsider
11-12-10, 02:17 PM
hmmm, I see what you mean. Wireless may be your only option. You'd need to get some that can be turned on/off with the radio or something though so it wouldn't drain the batteries or cause you to have to go in the back and manually shut them off. As said, I've got no experience with wireless speakers so I'm not sure how up the technology is.

creeker
11-12-10, 02:31 PM
hmmm, I see what you mean. Wireless may be your only option. You'd need to get some that can be turned on/off with the radio or something though so it wouldn't drain the batteries or cause you to have to go in the back and manually shut them off. As said, I've got no experience with wireless speakers so I'm not sure how up the technology is.

Yes, they sound fine, I would just sit them in the back seat, when you see how long batteries last in other
electronics I dont think it would be a big factor, I use my car maybe 2-3 hours a week.

csbuckn
11-12-10, 02:53 PM
I'm sure you can find a way to connect some speakers to the system without cutting wires. Maybe cut the connector off the original speaker and hard wire new speakers to it, then connect it to the original connector.

outsider
11-12-10, 03:03 PM
when I bought my 69 caddy...there was a pair of speakers sitting ontop of the original speakers, wired into the same wires that the original speakers were using. These speakers were already in a "box" of sorts...kinda like for a home stereo or something...maybe something like that?

creeker
11-12-10, 04:37 PM
when I bought my 69 caddy...there was a pair of speakers sitting ontop of the original speakers, wired into the same wires that the original speakers were using. These speakers were already in a "box" of sorts...kinda like for a home stereo or something...maybe something like that?

It comes back to not altering the stock state of the car, the reason I'm going through this is I was rejected by insurance bureau because I had a a/m f/m c.d. unit installed under my dashboard, my car must be completly stock in order to get the dirt cheap insurance rate, (collector car),I have removed
after market unit and will go back to stock sound system.

outsider
11-12-10, 05:17 PM
that's shitty man! You should just put everything back to normal when you get your car looked at for insurance stuff...other than that, have the cool stuff in but in a way you can easilly remove it :)

creeker
11-12-10, 05:27 PM
that's shitty man! You should just put everything back to normal when you get your car looked at for insurance stuff...other than that, have the cool stuff in but in a way you can easilly remove it :)

Yeh, I'm working on that, I dont blame them for having high standards, in the long run it protects
future buyers.

ga_etc
11-12-10, 08:32 PM
Granted it audio quality won't be great, but since you drive the car so little have you considered just using an iPod with one of the docks with built in speakers? That way the car is all original and you can still listen to whatever you want.

creeker
11-12-10, 09:42 PM
Granted it audio quality won't be great, but since you drive the car so little have you considered just using an iPod with one of the docks with built in speakers? That way the car is all original and you can still listen to whatever you want.

Thanks for suggestion, if I do anything on that idea, I would use that cassete tape and walkman
c.d. player set up, I used it in my 90 olds t.s. and it sounds great, it uses the stock speakers in the car.

drmenard
11-12-10, 10:37 PM
Have the stock speakers rebulit...

creeker
11-12-10, 10:51 PM
Have the stock speakers rebulit...

I have never heard of rebuilding speakers, I didn't know it could be done.

fool2
11-13-10, 02:37 AM
Are you saying you're not allowed to replace the stock 4x6 speakers with replacement 4x6 speakers? That's kind of like saying you're not allowed to replace the tires.

77CDV
11-13-10, 02:50 AM
Sounds like you need a more reasonable classic auto insurance company. I say replace the 4x6's with new ones, then try this:

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

Will play anything through the car's stock radio and speakers with no alterations needed. I use it in my '77 and '69.

creeker
11-13-10, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you need a more reasonable classic auto insurance company. I say replace the 4x6's with new ones, then try this:

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

Will play anything through the car's stock radio and speakers with no alterations needed. I use it in my '77 and '69.

Thanks for the info., I'll look into it, basic car insurance is government controlled, dont have the option of
shopping around, I bought new 4x6 speakers just 4 years ago,not cheapies either.

1980coupe
11-15-10, 12:54 AM
you can get 6x9 and use an adapter to bolt into the 4x10 rear deck opening. That's what I have in mine and I believe they are Pioneers. The wires were not cut at all and were connected to the original connector that connected to the rear speakers. Here's a link to a set on eBay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4X10-6X9-Car-stereo-Speaker-Adapter-kit-GM-Chevrolet-/380288721674?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item588af9630a
why not place the new deck in the glovebox? When it's closed it'll look all stock to the naked eye.
That is how I have mine set-up and still have the original look of the dash and still reads the timeon the digital display.

creeker
11-15-10, 04:36 PM
you can get 6x9 and use an adapter to bolt into the 4x10 rear deck opening. That's what I have in mine and I believe they are Pioneers. The wires were not cut at all and were connected to the original connector that connected to the rear speakers. Here's a link to a set on eBay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4X10-6X9-Car-stereo-Speaker-Adapter-kit-GM-Chevrolet-/380288721674?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item588af9630a
why not place the new deck in the glovebox? When it's closed it'll look all stock to the naked eye.
That is how I have mine set-up and still have the original look of the dash and still reads the timeon the digital display.

Thanks for tip, do you think you get the full sound from the 6x9 with the small rear deck
size restriction ?.

creeker
11-15-10, 04:40 PM
Are you saying you're not allowed to replace the stock 4x6 speakers with replacement 4x6 speakers? That's kind of like saying you're not allowed to replace the tires.

No, not at all,their not that exreme with the restrictions,mainly very tight on
stock appearance.

1980coupe
11-16-10, 12:40 AM
Thanks for tip, do you think you get the full sound from the 6x9 with the small rear deck
size restriction ?.
I get good clear sound and good bass too. It's connected to a JVC that's in the glovebox. I also have 2
10s, Alpine Type S with a small amp in the trunk. Up front are the stock speakers that is also connected to the JVC deck.

YourMainParadox
11-18-10, 01:54 AM
You can buy the stock size speakers and mount them under the stock grills and the insurance will never know. The FM modulator from that rediscover radio place is more than likely a rip off if they charge more than $25-50 We used to sell those for $40 at circuit city to install all sorts of stuff with factory radios. I have had collector car insurance and never had issues like that.. they know that speakers wear out. Worst case you can find a place to ship them out to have them rebuilt. Don't use the wireless speakers. There will be interference and no way to realistically hook them up to your radio as well as if you get in an accident or turn they will go flying. They do also make 6X9 boxes which you could just run wires too from the stock harness (don't cut it) and then mount those under a seat or to the deck and just remove them if you ever need an inspection. but at that point just put in new same size speakers and then for inspection swap them back to stock.

mjs182004
11-18-10, 11:01 AM
If your worried about cutting the wires, here is your solution.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12071001/GM-Toyota-Speaker-Harnesses.html?tp=1025