: Oil pan and pump

Power Juicer
11-11-10, 08:41 PM
Ok I've just about got all my problems fixed so far besides an oil leak at the pan. My plans are to replace the oil pan gasket and pump. What is involved in doing this job? What kind of problems might I run into? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

drewsdeville
11-11-10, 09:10 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary.

On most Caddys, you'd need to remove the exhaust crossunder pipe that runs from the front manifold under the pan. But, *I believe* your exhaust crosses over the top of the trans bellhousing, eliminating that step.

So, just drain the oil, remove the flywheel inspection covers (2 or 3 10mm bolts), and remove the pan bolts (15mm). The ones towards the front of the pan are a little tight to get at with the harmonic balancer still on the crank, but it's doable.

You may need to lift/jack the motor just slightly for extra clearance from the passenger side subframe rail to wiggle so the pickup tube clears the bafffles in the oil pan. I've had to on some Eldorados and Sevilles, but can't remember either way about the '91-'93 Devilles and know you don't have to on the '94-'95's.

Once the pan is off, it's self-explanatory. The oil pump is held on by 2 10mm. Make sure to prime the new one and be sure that the hex driveshaft fits into the pump and distributor shaft when bolting the new one on.

OH, and if your car still has the original pan gasket, rubber with a steel insert, it's reusable and is much better than the cork or rubber aftermarkets. Be sure to use RTV around the front section where the pan meets the timing cover.

If I may ask, why are you replacing the pump? They are generally good for the life of the vehicle, as they are always covered and filled with oil. The only thing that sometimes goes bad is the pressure relief valve.

Power Juicer
11-11-10, 09:43 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary.

On most Caddys, you'd need to remove the exhaust crossunder pipe that runs from the front manifold under the pan. But, *I believe* your exhaust crosses over the top of the trans bellhousing, eliminating that step.

So, just drain the oil, remove the flywheel inspection covers (2 or 3 10mm bolts), and remove the pan bolts (15mm). The ones towards the front of the pan are a little tight to get at with the harmonic balancer still on the crank, but it's doable.

You may need to lift/jack the motor just slightly for extra clearance from the passenger side subframe rail to wiggle so the pickup tube clears the bafffles in the oil pan. I've had to on some Eldorados and Sevilles, but can't remember either way about the '91-'93 Devilles and know you don't have to on the '94-'95's.

Once the pan is off, it's self-explanatory. The oil pump is held on by 2 10mm. Make sure to prime the new one and be sure that the hex driveshaft fits into the pump and distributor shaft when bolting the new one on.

OH, and if your car still has the original pan gasket, rubber with a steel insert, it's reusable and is much better than the cork or rubber aftermarkets. Be sure to use RTV around the front section where the pan meets the timing cover.

If I may ask, why are you replacing the pump? They are generally good for the life of the vehicle, as they are always covered and filled with oil. The only thing that sometimes goes bad is the pressure relief valve.

How do you prime the pump? I have an oil leak from the pan gasket so I hate not to replace it.

the recluse
11-11-10, 11:45 PM
To prime, some people just stick the pick up tube in a "can" of oil and turn the hex insert with a drill till oil comes out the top. Me, I pour a little down the top to get the impeller wet, assemble the motor, disconnect the injector harnesses and turn the motor a coupla' dozen times. Reconnect harnesses and fire off. NOT by the book mind you and some may yell about it, but it has never failed me so far....

The only time I had to replace the oil pump in this motor was when I didn't get all the shavings out of the block after having to drill and tap it. The shavings chewed up the impellers and when I changed the oil one time it lost prime.