: Questions...'05 STS

bluescat
11-11-10, 03:48 PM
My '04 DHS was totaled, and I'm looking for a replacement. They are hard to come by, but I found an '05 STS with 62K miles. My upper price limit is 15K, and this comes in under that.

It has the 4.6 Northstar, PACKAGE OPTION 05 (1SE), and PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ). I'm not sure what level that makes the car.

The dealer slapped a brand new set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws on it, so I would be stuck with them for the next 50,000 miles or so...not my first choice.

How does this car compare to my DHS? Will I likely be satisfied with it?

Any input would be welcomed.

Thanks!

8323matt
11-11-10, 04:35 PM
I think you will be very pleased if you buy it! The body style is very sporty and class in my opinion. I love my STS, the 4.6L does get up and move pretty well, and you can't complain about mpg either. I havent had one problem with mine except replace timing chains, but I havent heard the 4.6 having this problem. My vehicle has 85k miles on it and i only put 400 dollars of parts in it, i would consider this an excellent car. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on mine and I love these tires!

Here is the feature list for 2005 models. Go to this link and click on the "features" link in the left column. http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...sts/index.html
1SE is the Base V8 model

Subsailor613
11-11-10, 04:59 PM
Tires, I had to buy 2 tires for the rear, even at half gas, i could spin them,
VERY easy, so I went to: 255 45 17's, they are the same circumference,
SO the speedometer stays correct, I went with Generals UHP Exclaim's.
and will report on them soon. I got them at Tirerack.com, and had my local
guy put them on for $ 15.00 each/both, I forget, incl balance.
Tires cost me $ 109.00 each, and got Tire totes to cover the tires I took off,
and can use them as spares (If Needed)with the totes, you can put them,
in your back seat, to transport very clean, without messing up the leather.
:cool2::cool2:

bluescat
11-11-10, 08:52 PM
Well, to complicate things I found another STS today, also '05. This one has the V6. Mileage and condition are comparable, and the one with the Northstar seems to have a bit higher build, 1SE as opposed to 1SB on the V6. The V6 comes with a 6mo/6000mile Bumper to Bumper warranty, the V8 a 30 day powertrain warranty.

Also found an '06 CTS High something or other...with 31,000 miles, but out of warranty. It also has a 6mo/6000mile Bumper to Bumper warranty and is selling for $1,000 more then both of the STS's.

Help!!

Now I'm thoroughly confused.

SlickCityStan
11-11-10, 09:02 PM
Buy another DTS or wait till you find a STS V8 with a 1SG trim level or a V6 with a 1SC trim level.

EChas3
11-11-10, 10:32 PM
Stan's right. The V6 can be disappointing before 2008. You'll miss the DTS ride but IMHO that is far outweighed by the handling of a real sport touring sedan. Even with Traction Control an STS can get 'loose' like a real car.

The 1SE is nice but the 1SG gets all the goodies. I don't regret waiting for the right one.

Did you love your DTS or did you have some wants?

As a lover of big cars, the STS 'midsize' dimensions are one of my few 'negatives'.

Slee_Stack
11-15-10, 02:53 PM
I just don't see that much of a similarity between the DTS and STS. The former is larger and softer riding. If you liked the comfort of the DTS, I can't imagine you'd appreciate the ride of an STS.

What you might consider is a Buick Lucerne (the higest trim level has the Northstar). A used Lucerene should be fairly cheap. Essentially, it is a Cadillac DTS with slightly different finishes.