: 05 STS NAV is Broken

danscan
11-11-10, 02:52 PM
I have an 05 STS with Nav system and recently the NAV and Radio all stopped working. No power. Everything associated with the NAV system is off. No customized Seats, heat, etc.

Aside from dropping 3000 on a new/used NAV system what else could be the problem.

I have gone through the fuses and they all seemed ok. But if you have a suggestion with the fuses let me know. I have disconnected the battery for 10 minutes also.

Link to a wiring diagram? Maybe I can figure out if the unit is even getting power.

A bonus question: What is the first thing I have to take off when removing the radio/nav system? I can't find anything that seems obvious to take off.

The car has 81K miles. About 900 miles outside my extended warranty.

8323matt
11-11-10, 02:57 PM
Ill get you the wiring diagram, I doubt its the Nav. system, its got to be a fuse, did you check the fuses under the hood? did you check fuses underneath the rear seat?

danscan
11-11-10, 04:25 PM
Ill get you the wiring diagram, I doubt its the Nav. system, its got to be a fuse, did you check the fuses under the hood? did you check fuses underneath the rear seat?

I checked both (all three locations) sets of fuses. I tested each traditional looking fuse (the see through colored low amp type with two prongs) with a meter. All were good. I did not try to test the odd plugs as I am unsure what some of them do and I am unsure how to test them.

Is there an special procedures for disconnecting the battery? I read a forum post about special battery disconnecting procedures but I never heard of them.

Could I have set off the Theft deterent system by disconnecting the battery. (It did say that on the DIC on the instrument panel). How do I reset this if this is the problem. I could not find it in the manual.

8323matt
11-11-10, 05:07 PM
hmm if all fuses where ok, i would check if theres power to the Nav. You have to pull the wood tim around the radio, just do slow and carefully then remove the bolts fastening the radio to the vehicle. S

tomm
11-11-10, 06:25 PM
The proper procedure for resetting the Nav is to either actually disconnect the connectors from the back of the NAV for several minutes or disconnect the battery for a few minutes. If I remember correctly you need to disconnect the positive terminal and after a few minutes ground the disconnected terminal for a second or two and then re-connect.

tomm
11-11-10, 06:28 PM
OH, And if the Navigation unit did actually die don't buy a new one. Watch ebay and you will find one cheap. One sold just last week for $285, There is not a huge demand for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cadillac-sts-navigation-monitor-2006-cd-DVD-slots-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb225acddQQitemZ26068 6851293QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

RippyPartsDept
11-11-10, 07:03 PM
it doesn't cost much more than that for a reman unit from specmo, united radio, or model electronics - but you'll have to pay a dealer to install it
unless you get a friendly dealer who will just sell you the exchange radio ... but i would assume you'll need to program stuff into it with a tech2 (like your VIN and options)

EChas3
11-11-10, 09:29 PM
^^^^ These guys are gooood!

RippyPartsDept
11-11-10, 10:02 PM
which guys?

AllGoNShow
11-11-10, 10:59 PM
Ya I got robbed on that $285 Navi unit, some ****ing cock is using an ebay sniper, boy was I pissed.

RippyPartsDept
11-11-10, 11:24 PM
isn't ebay's autobid system supposed to take care of that sniper stuff?
or does the sniper just basically out-bid you still?

ewill3rd
11-12-10, 07:59 AM
rippy, no programming for the STS radio, it is plug and play with the minor exception of the theftlock.
Once the VIN is loaded into the radio it should work fine.
As for where to get one, don't know. I did a sale last week from one somebody shattered the glass on and the price was about $4,000 for an outright purchase. I think they got me a salvage unit.

You have to take the trim panel off from around the radio. If this is the wooden panel be VERY careful at the top and down the sides. If you pull it without releasing all the clips you will crack that wooden panel, the clearcoat will have lines in it forever.
Otherwise your next step is to remove the radio, verify power, ground, and that the data bus is intact. If those all test good, then you will need a new one.
(er, another... one)

RippyPartsDept
11-12-10, 10:07 AM
AH, OK... well yeah theftlock at least

danscan
11-12-10, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the help. I will try it out this weekend.
As for the removal of the wooden face plate: Do I start at the bottom? Should I use a screw driver to pry it?

Thanks again for the help.

ewill3rd
11-12-10, 12:07 PM
I use plastic "trim tools" to get behind the wood to prevent marring the dash trim.
Start at the bottom corners, move up a bit then go in at the very top, don't pull up on the bottom until all the clips are released.

AllGoNShow
11-12-10, 12:11 PM
isn't ebay's autobid system supposed to take care of that sniper stuff?
or does the sniper just basically out-bid you still?

I thought they rid of the system as well but very last second as I'm watching I got beat out... was not happy on Sunday haha

EChas3
11-12-10, 10:33 PM
The bottom corners have the least material and it's also thin near the vents. I think my replacement got billed to CPO around $550 (ashtray around $250). There's a seller on eBay at $400 for the set (includes door trim.)

With reasonable care, it's really not hard. The clips are stiff but a putty knife is a good tool. I have one shaped like this:

\____====.

mywifekids1
11-12-10, 11:39 PM
My nav goes out all the time it must be some kind of short, what I normally do is to take the fuse out from under the rear seat and put it back in and I hear the nav unit start to spin, problem fixed until the next time just take out the fuse and put it back in and see what happens.

danscan
11-13-10, 12:50 PM
Do you pull the fuse while it is running or with the accessories on?
I am going to give it a shot at pulling the nav unit out and testing power to the unit.
I wonder if there is a way to test the unit for funtionality outside of the car. But I am sure it does not run on a standard voltage of any kind.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

danscan
11-13-10, 03:06 PM
I took it apart. It seems that I do not have a short. I checked the Grey Wiring harness since it looked like the powering harness. The others looked like they were for the speakers and personalization features.
Power looked good. Black to red read that power was available. I did an ohm check on it also and it too read a good connection.
I pulled the nav and radio assembly out of the car. I check the equivalent points with the ohm meter to ensure a good circuit and they too checked out ok.
I dont know what else to check at this point.
But at this point is definately seems like some type of internal chip issue. :(

Anyone know a short cut to atleast get the radio working? I can't afford to buy a new nav system at this time.

mywifekids1
11-15-10, 08:24 PM
Put the unit back in reconnect all wires of course, once that is done close all doors let car alarm itself then open rear door, take up backseat find fuse box take out fuse for radio and then put it back you should here your nav cd start to turn if that does not work you may have a bad unit the car should not be running while doing this and only one rear door open that is how I restart mine after it goes out on me.