: Tinted windows in Texas - Warning

Lifer
11-11-10, 11:58 AM
I had a state-mandated (Texas) safety check done yesterday and noticed that as of August 1, 2010 driver and front passenger door glass with less than 25% transmittal will be failed. They did not mention the rest of the car, but those two glasses are to be check.

TobyJohnson11
11-17-10, 09:47 PM
They must have dropped the % because the law use to be 30% for the front two windows. Texas uses window tint for probable cause to stop a vehicle a lot, but if youíre not a drug dealer, they donít usually give you a ticket.

Midnight
11-18-10, 09:32 AM
That is so prejudiced against drug dealers!

TobyJohnson11
11-18-10, 08:58 PM
I have two family members that are/were members of the Texas Rangers. They were both State Troopers prior to promoting to Rangers. Window tint is the dumbest thing that criminals can do. Itís like a big neon sign that says STOP ME!!!!. With that being said I have 10% on all of my windows on my sts and escalade. I get profiled quite often; however as soon as the officer sees that I am not a drug runner or criminal, he lets me be on my way. I realize that I am going to get profiled by having dark windows, thatís why I never give the officers any problems when they stop me. To date, no tickets.......Yes I am prejudiced against drug dealers, they give the police reason to stop me!

jimmbo
11-18-10, 11:12 PM
Ahh... the fun loving Gestapo. Up here in Alberta, Canada, window tinting should be increasing like crazy. The governmant just passed a law that makes it illeagal to even look at a cell phone or ipod let alone hold it while the car is on a road. Time to get the rear window and back door windows done with reflector film.

Lifer
11-19-10, 10:42 AM
I had a state-mandated (Texas) safety check done yesterday and noticed that as of August 1, 2010 driver and front passenger door glass with less than 25% transmittal will be failed. They did not mention the rest of the car, but those two glasses are to be check.

For youse out-of-Texas guys, Texas requires a state-mandated safety check of all motor vehicles and in certain areas adds emission testing. If you fail the test, you still pay for the test ($39.00) and then seek whatever remediation is required for a retest. If you fail the test, the state is not supposed to renew your license tags. If you are stopped by any level of police and your safety sticker has expired, you get a ticket, which usually is a Bitch to clear up - lots of lost time at work.

dkozloski
11-19-10, 11:25 AM
We've never had a safety inspection law and just eliminated emissions system testing in our area. Registration renewals are free for me.

TulsaVic
11-19-10, 01:09 PM
Is this retroactive? I can see something like all new vehicles after XX/XXXX must have window tint less than XYZ. But to say that your 2002 car has to have the film stripped off seems strange..... Texas a blue state????

caddyfat2
11-19-10, 02:01 PM
everything is bigger in Texas except their brains. LOL :canttalk:

TobyJohnson11
11-19-10, 02:49 PM
Is this retroactive? I can see something like all new vehicles after XX/XXXX must have window tint less than XYZ. But to say that your 2002 car has to have the film stripped off seems strange..... Texas a blue state????
No way!!!! Texas is and always will be RED!!!

It doesnít have anything to do with the year of the vehicle, just the % on the front windows. Back and back side windows can be painted black but the front has to allow more than 25% light through. Each state has their own wording on the % and the bluer the state the higher the limit. In California you canít have ANY tint on the front windows and can only have like 35% on the back and back sides. The state does have a safety inspection sticker that must be placed on the windshield; however small town inspection station will not fail anyone due to window tint or exhaust. I know I use to run straight pipes with no mufflers or cats on about 4 different vehicles and never had a problem getting the inspection sticker.

hardcorecaddy
02-20-11, 01:15 PM
there is a reason and a good one for the new laws against electronics use in vehicles, it kills innocents and those that are foolish enough to engage in the practice, give it some thought, it won't take much time out of your day.

Ahh... the fun loving Gestapo. Up here in Alberta, Canada, window tinting should be increasing like crazy. The governmant just passed a law that makes it illeagal to even look at a cell phone or ipod let alone hold it while the car is on a road. Time to get the rear window and back door windows done with reflector film.

Subsailor613
02-20-11, 05:24 PM
Drug dealers DON'T drive Cadillac STS's !

I asked them, and they told me....:cool2::cool2:

mckellyb
08-25-11, 09:29 AM
Just came across this thread, looking to see if the remote will close all the windows/sunroof as we just had a rare August downburst, and while you can have the rear window painted black, you must have a passenger's side side-view mirror.

Just so you know.

ddalder
08-25-11, 10:22 AM
Just came across this thread, looking to see if the remote will close all the windows/sunroof as we just had a rare August downburst...

Sunroof - No (All years).
Windows - No for 2005 and some 2006. 2006 can be dealer reprogrammed. Yes for 2007+

mckellyb
08-25-11, 10:27 AM
Thanks! I finally found a few threads on it.

Kills me that Mercedes managed to have this functionality on the E- and S-class models in the 80's, even with vacuum-powered door locks, but Cadillac couldn't get it in for 2005.

/facepalm

edit: I have to admit, both Mercedes require the key to be used in the door, but they don't have fob-ability, unless you want to hack into the trunk-mounted system.

Remember, vacuum-powered power locks.

Sigh. Granted, they still work.

AnderbrA
08-25-11, 10:45 AM
It was interesting that my 02 Lincoln LS would roll all windows down and open sunroof when holding the unlock on the fob. They said they couldn't go up because of safety reasons. My 07 STS will roll them all up with the lock button, but not down. Seems a bit dumb not to have both open and close functionality.

dkozloski
08-25-11, 11:51 AM
It was interesting that my 02 Lincoln LS would roll all windows down and open sunroof when holding the unlock on the fob. They said they couldn't go up because of safety reasons. My 07 STS will roll them all up with the lock button, but not down. Seems a bit dumb not to have both open and close functionality.
They will open and close with voice commands.

EChas3
08-25-11, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the sunroof could be modified to react to the command to close all windows. If necessary the LAN could be extended from the mirror to the area of the sunroof controls. A door window control might be modded for the job.

caddyfat2
08-26-11, 10:45 AM
Sunroof - No (All years).
Windows - No for 2005 and some 2006. 2006 can be dealer reprogrammed. Yes for 2007+

My 05 windows do go up with the remote, so the 2005 does have it but not for the sunroof.

RippyPartsDept
08-26-11, 10:58 AM
usually the pinch liability concern is the reason for not closing windows automatically ... but now that the resistance sensitive motors and electronics are becoming more common we will see these options eventually

ddalder
08-26-11, 11:09 AM
My 05 windows do go up with the remote, so the 2005 does have it but not for the sunroof.
I can't explain yours without knowing if the remote control door lock receiver was replaced with a newer version (or perhaps late production 2005). This question came up from another member with a 2005 as his didn't work. I queried my dealership on his behalf. They provided me a printed technical service bulletin that stated the manual for this model year was misprinted and the Express-Up was not available. It went on to say that some early production 2006 vehicles were shipped without this feature enabled but could be enabled using SPS (Service Programming System) to load an updated module calibration.

mckellyb
08-26-11, 11:17 AM
Well, lesson learned. If there is a risk of rain, I can leave the sunroof tilted just a little, but the windows stay up.

Yesterday, ten minutes with paper towels from the restroom did the job well-enough.

dkozloski
08-26-11, 11:41 AM
I always fear that if I leave the roof open I'll come back to find the interior covered with raven shit. It's bad enough all over the top.

ddalder
08-26-11, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the sunroof could be modified to react to the command to close all windows. If necessary the LAN could be extended from the mirror to the area of the sunroof controls. A door window control might be modded for the job.
Unfortunately, it isn't this simple. The sunroof control module is not designed to communicate on the data bus so the interface electronics and software are just not there. Undoubtedly the concern and risk of strangulation or other pinch injuries are at the root of why it wasn't incorporated. It is most certainly possible to incorporate appropriate sensors but then there would be an additional cost to build along with a more advanced module for control.

orange57
08-27-11, 12:35 AM
in AZ i belive maximum for front windows is 35%. Rear can have limo around it if you want. I've done 35% around the front on one of my cars and limo around the back and it was plenty dark.