: STS went crazy tonight with lots of trouble codes!!!! Need Help….

TobyJohnson11
11-11-10, 01:11 AM
Ok,

Tonight I was driving down the road and got a message saying service stability system and service break system then the traction control light came on and would not go off. When I stopped and turned the car off and back on, none of the message lights came back on, but the check engine light was on. I drove down the block and stopped to get something to eat. When I came back outside the car would not start. It was crazy, the gauges were jumping up and down and the seats were moving back and forth but the car would not start. This went on for about 10 minutes and I didn’t have any way to unhook the battery, so I unplugged every fuse I thought might be related and after pulling and reinstalling about 10 fuses the car started.

When I got home I plugged in my scan tool and got the following codes.

P0171 and P0174 - Both stated “system to lean”
P0068 “Map/Maf – Throttle Position Correlation
P1101 which my scanner did not have a definition for. I googled this one and got the following. “Actual measured airflow from MAF, MAP, EGR, and TP is not within range of the calculated airflow”

SO what’s wrong with this car? It seems to be the mass air flow problem, but what’s with the stability system and breaks. Also I got a service air bag message about a week ago but it went off to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

kcaddy
11-11-10, 02:10 AM
sounds like you have a computer problem or various electrical problems check all major relays and get your computer looked at good luck

DBeaSST
11-11-10, 09:17 AM
How old is your battery? A weak or bad battery can cause all sorts of 'ghost' problems.

8323matt
11-11-10, 02:18 PM
Inspect the harness of the MAF sensor to verify that it is not routed too close to the following components:
Inspect The secondary ignition wires or coils Any solenoids Any relays Any motors
A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore at idle or during deceleration may cause this DTC to set.

Inspect for the following conditions:

Any deposits on the throttle plate or in the throttle bore Any vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Inspect for any contamination or debris on the sensing elements of the MAF sensor.Inspect the air induction system for any water intrusion. Any water that reaches the MAF sensor will skew the sensor and may cause this DTC to set.A wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF sensor parameter on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 3-10 g/s at idle to 150 g/s or more at the time of the 1-2 shift. If the increase is not observed, inspect for a restriction in the induction system or the exhaust system.Inspect for a skewed or stuck ECT sensor.A high resistance of 15 ohms or more on the ignition 1 voltage circuit may cause this DTC to set. A high resistance may cause a driveability concern before this DTC sets.The BARO that is used in order to calculate the predicted mass air flow value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON. When the engine is running, the BARO value is continually updated near wide open throttle. A skewed MAP sensor will cause the calculated mass air flow value to be inaccurate and may result in a no start condition. The value shown for the MAP sensor parameter varies with the altitude. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, 101 kPa is the approximate value near sea level. This value will decrease by approximately 3 kPa for every 305 meters (1,000 feet) of altitude.A high resistance on the low reference circuit of the MAP sensor may cause this DTC to set.If the condition is intermittent, refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections .

TobyJohnson11
11-11-10, 10:10 PM
Inspect the harness of the MAF sensor to verify that it is not routed too close to the following components:
Inspect The secondary ignition wires or coils Any solenoids Any relays Any motors
A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore at idle or during deceleration may cause this DTC to set.

Inspect for the following conditions:

Any deposits on the throttle plate or in the throttle bore Any vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Inspect for any contamination or debris on the sensing elements of the MAF sensor.Inspect the air induction system for any water intrusion. Any water that reaches the MAF sensor will skew the sensor and may cause this DTC to set.A wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF sensor parameter on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 3-10 g/s at idle to 150 g/s or more at the time of the 1-2 shift. If the increase is not observed, inspect for a restriction in the induction system or the exhaust system.Inspect for a skewed or stuck ECT sensor.A high resistance of 15 ohms or more on the ignition 1 voltage circuit may cause this DTC to set. A high resistance may cause a driveability concern before this DTC sets.The BARO that is used in order to calculate the predicted mass air flow value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON. When the engine is running, the BARO value is continually updated near wide open throttle. A skewed MAP sensor will cause the calculated mass air flow value to be inaccurate and may result in a no start condition. The value shown for the MAP sensor parameter varies with the altitude. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, 101 kPa is the approximate value near sea level. This value will decrease by approximately 3 kPa for every 305 meters (1,000 feet) of altitude.A high resistance on the low reference circuit of the MAP sensor may cause this DTC to set.If the condition is intermittent, refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections .

WOW!

Thanks for the advice. Today I got a message saying "Service Suspension System" This is difference from what came up last night. Now this message will not go away after turning the car off and on. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

SlickCityStan
11-11-10, 11:00 PM
DBeaSST has given you the best diagnosis. when you have codes across multiple systems start with the lowest common denominator to start troubleshooting

dkozloski
11-11-10, 11:24 PM
Bad battery or cables.

TobyJohnson11
11-12-10, 12:28 AM
Bad battery or cables.

I hope your right. I keep seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$ fly out the window with every message that comes up. A battery would be a gime compaired to everythng else I have thought it could be.

Thanks for all the replys. I will keep you posted.

8323matt
11-12-10, 02:14 AM
Other than checking the MAF, Inspect for any vacuum hoses are in bad shape or disconnected. Whith the car running listen for any hissing around the throttle body mating surface and intake region, you can also spay carb cleaner around where the gaskets meet to see if the motor accelerates or smooths out. Also when is the last time your fuel filter has been replaced?

Before you replce the batteyr, If you have a multimeter check the voltage of the battery first, at 100% charged it should be 12.6 Volts. Or have one of your auto parts store check it if you don't have a multimeter.