: Help all you caddi people

Caddi Lover
09-19-04, 02:37 AM
Thinking of getting either a 2004 Deville or 2005 STS. Convince me ok guys, Which One?

Adam
09-19-04, 02:44 AM
well, do you like power and luxury or just luxury? like to be in a big car or a race inspired car?

majax
09-19-04, 04:43 AM
First answer 93fleetwoodlowlows question to yourself. If you want a DeVille I would recomend the DTS version. Now the 2005 STS is a new car now and you may not have the initial reliablity as you would as the DeVille(maybe, no one knows yet) probably be fine. They are both classy in my opinion. The '05 is just a newer and a bit more modern car than the current DeVille. If I were you I would probably go for the STS. Don't get me wrong I love the DTS, but the STS is built tighter and very very world class.

both great cars but I would prob go with the STS. Of course it also depends on your budget?

megeebee
09-19-04, 11:52 AM
I have been fortunate enough to have driven both recently. The Deville, especially in the DHS or DTS levels has a beautiful interior, very spacious. A substantial feel on the road (highly developed front wheel drive) and the first generation Northstar engine. The one fitted in the DTS producing 300 hp. When I first saw one back in late '99 I thought it was a revelation, and it was. But frankly, I hardly notice them any more. It was eclipsed by the newer designs fairly quickly. It would, however, be a good car for anyone. I feel the STS will retain a much better share of its value over time. That is, as long as Cadillac can resist selling them to rental fleets. They sell a fairly large number of Devilles (base units) to these fleets, and it really kills resale.
The STS V6 I drove was a dream. The interior even more handsome than the Deville, executed with some richer materials as well. Get an STS. That, or wait until the '06 model year and look into the re-worked Deville due then.

Crozier
09-19-04, 02:28 PM
Get the 05 STS. There have been many, many improvements made over Cadillac's previous generation of cars. Before the CTS came out, all car mags and journalists really just made fun of cadillac and sang the praises of BMW and Mercedes. When the CTS was finally reviewed and taken seriously, Road and Track picked it over Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, and Volvo.
The new STS is the continuation of what the CTS started. The STS will likely beat out the competition in it's class as well. The STS has some AMAZING new technology. I am going to buy a V6 STS early next year.
Having said all of that, I LOVE the current Deville/DTS.

mack1a
09-19-04, 04:29 PM
I have a 2003 DTS and it is twice the car my 2004 SRX is in many respects. I just drove a 2005 STS V8 and while it is a dramatic improvement over the SRX, I still would rather take a long trip in the DTS.

However, the DTS has suffered for a couple of years as Caddy is playing the squeeze game on the DTS and holding back until they screw it up with a Europranized version.

DTS pluses over STS (in my opinion)

Steering wheel Cruise Control, Rear mirror turn signals, better seats, more room, bigger trunk and opening

STS pluses

Like the adaptive cruise control and the HUD, better transmission, stronger 1/4 mile and would do better on the Nurembourg ring (if you ever wanted to do that)

Cadillac exhibits poor assembly quality on the early SRXes (my opinion). However, the STS is built like a real Cadillac so probably wouldn't hold first year against it.

Still don't understand the hullablu about rear wheel drive over front wheel drive. Frankly I think it's just an excuse to get people who experience snow and ice to spend the extra bucks for AWD in order to compensate for all the inherent bad weather disadvantages of rear wheel drive.

Styling is a whatever on both. Frankly I would like it if the STS looked less like a CTS.

My summary:

Best price value = DTS
Best handling = STS (of course both have stabilitrack which is a must) MR and AWD are a STS advantage here if you really think you need all of that.
Best long distance trip car = DTS
Best 4 or 5 passenger car = DTS (wouldn't want to sit in back behind a driver over 5'10" for any distance)
Best if you are tall or calorically challanged = DTS

One last point, I would probably like my SRX a lot better if I didn't have a history of 1 ETC and 3 DTSes. I have the SRX because we thought we wanted an SUVish vehicle.

My favorite Caddy was the ETC and I really wish they had carried it forward and upgraded its featurability.

Tough choice but you probably won't regret either one.

Crozier
09-19-04, 08:27 PM
Still don't understand the hullablu about rear wheel drive over front wheel drive. Frankly I think it's just an excuse to get people who experience snow and ice to spend the extra bucks for AWD in order to compensate for all the inherent bad weather disadvantages of rear wheel drive.

FWD vs RWD. It's all bout handling and power. FWD will never be able to handle as much power as RWD. FWD will never be able to handle and race like RWD.

Notice that there was no "V Series" in the old FWD cars. A serious high performance seville or deville was never possible because they handled "poorly" and they couldn't put that much power to the wheels. (FWD issues)

When I drove the STS and the DTS back to back, the DTS felt bulky and slow. The STS felt light on its feet and very agile.

As I mentioned before. I love the traditional big classic american style sedans. (i currently have a newer Park Avenue) They really have nothing in the way of performance and everying in the way of comfort. These new caddies are trading a very smalll bit of comfort for HUGE gains in performance. A trade off that I am excited to live with.

Perhaps the future DTS will be my dream car....( a DTS-V would be SWEET!!)

Slick V
09-19-04, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=mack1a]

STS pluses

Like the adaptive cruise control and the HUD, better transmission, stronger 1/4 mile and would do better on the Nurembourg ring (if you ever wanted to do that)

My summary:

Best price value = DTS
Best handling = STS (of course both have stabilitrack which is a must) MR and AWD are a STS advantage here if you really think you need all of that.
Best long distance trip car = DTS
Best 4 or 5 passenger car = DTS (wouldn't want to sit in back behind a driver over 5'10" for any distance)
Best if you are tall or calorically challanged = DTS

[QUOTE]
Your forgeting the STS has magnetic ride control, 5.1 surround sound, bluetooth, romote start, and keyless ignition.

so to add to the summary
Best audio= STS
Quiet interior= STS
Best drivers vehicle= STS
Most trunk space= DTS

majax
09-19-04, 10:52 PM
I think they would be both equaly comfortable on a long trip.

mack1a
09-20-04, 12:09 AM
I understand you point about power. And my thinking about the DTS is that it handles fantastically for a car of its' size and comfort. It's not a performance competitor to the STS but then an STS is a dog alonside a Corvette When I lived in Minnesota long long ago I would have killed for a FWD DTS. The RWD advantage is great when you are on a dry drag strip. The same configuration becomes useless when snow or ice keep you from even being able to put 50 HP down on the road due to wheelspin.

I would buy a DTS V in a heart beat as long as it wasn't some europeanized version with the gas cap on the wrong side and it still reflected DTS heritage.

Mikethegreeat
09-20-04, 02:07 AM
I understand you point about power. And my thinking about the DTS is that it handles fantastically for a car of its' size and comfort. It's not a performance competitor to the STS but then an STS is a dog alonside a Corvette When I lived in Minnesota long long ago I would have killed for a FWD DTS. The RWD advantage is great when you are on a dry drag strip. The same configuration becomes useless when snow or ice keep you from even being able to put 50 HP down on the road due to wheelspin.

I would buy a DTS V in a heart beat as long as it wasn't some europeanized version with the gas cap on the wrong side and it still reflected DTS heritage.

So your saying RWD is only good on the strip? :tisk: Hey most of us here drive FWD caddys so the respect is there, but you have to admit, that if our cars were RWD, it would make a wrld of a difference. I mean our FWD Caddys are Really nose heavy, so balance is out of the equation, something you notice even at low speeds... I mean our cars weren’t bulit to be ultimate performance sedans, but its great that Caddy has finally decided to go back to RWD, even if it does mean that all the new cadys will eb a bit tighter in the ride department. so what, you have that confidence of knowing your car is just as capable in the corners yet has a smoother ride than the 5 series right beside you

mack1a
09-20-04, 04:15 AM
No, I am not really saying RWD is only good on a strip. But that environment is where RWD performs at its' best. Now ice up a strip and that will be where it performs at its' worst and FWD performs best. I live in Florida and I don't care if the car is FWD or RWD or any other combination someone wants to come up with. What I am saying is that why anyone who lives somewhere where they have to drive thru winters with ice and snow would want RWD instead of FWD is beyond me. Their only viable option is to spend a lot of money and go to AWD if they have a vehice that starts with RWD as its' basic configuration.

Now, if Cadillac would do a DTS V (400 HP or better), add the features they are resticting to the STS such as Adaptive CC, HUD and other new goodies while leaving some of its good Cadillac exclusivities and remember which side the gas filler goes on, you would see it in my garage be it RW or FW drive. It would be too big to be a gymkhana queen but sure would be a great North American touring car.

If it starts as RWD I just wouldn't want to add expense, weight and additional failure rates of AWD.

Slick V
09-20-04, 08:56 AM
If it starts as RWD I just wouldn't want to add expense, weight and additional failure rates of AWD.

What do you mean failure rates of AWD? If RWD isnt your thing the AWD is only a $1900 option.

mack1a
09-20-04, 09:54 AM
I don't mean anything other than more moving things to go bump in the night. It's the old 4 engine planes have more engine failures per plane than 2 engine planes thing.