: Chimes with no message on DIC?

Midnight
11-10-10, 04:43 PM
Something weird happened when I was going to pick up lunch today.

I started the car up, threw it into reverse while putting on my seatbelt. Suddenly the "chime" sound started dinging pretty quickly. But there were no messages anywhere - not on the DIC, no lights lit up (except seat belt until I buckled it). It kept doing this for probably like 100 chimes, and then stopped. Still no message.

I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything about this. This happened before too, once, a few months ago.

SlickCityStan
11-10-10, 07:27 PM
it seems to be pretty obvious, the car does not like you putting it in gear before buckling your seat belt. The 100 chimes is the same as being made to write sentences on the blackboard.:bigroll:

8323matt
11-10-10, 08:32 PM
Did you check to see if your rear brake was slightly engaged? I some times hit the parking brake just a tiny bit and it starts to ding until i release it. I would check that first

ewill3rd
11-10-10, 09:06 PM
Look to see if the red brake light is on, if the parking brake is not fully released and the computer sees the park brake lever input it will ding like crazy but the only light on will be the red brake warning lamp.

Subsailor613
11-10-10, 09:28 PM
Can't tell how much time elapsed, but signal lights, that have been on TOOOOO
long will chime also,Could this have happened ?
Good Luck....:cool2::cool2:

Midnight
11-11-10, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't notice the red brake lamp, but I need to double check that it's actually working. And I'm gonna try a bit of experimentation on that to see if I can make it happen again.

the car does not like you putting it in gear before buckling your seat belt. The 100 chimes is the same as being made to write sentences on the blackboard
http://i51.tinypic.com/im7bcp.jpg

ddavis75007
11-11-10, 10:24 AM
Another thought is maybe something was blocking the rear backup sensors. Were the lights above the back seat on?

SlickCityStan
11-11-10, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't notice the red brake lamp, but I need to double check that it's actually working. And I'm gonna try a bit of experimentation on that to see if I can make it happen again.

http://i51.tinypic.com/im7bcp.jpgLOL:histeric::histeric:

8323matt
11-11-10, 01:26 PM
Still weird yes if you leave your blinker on to long it will keep binging but it says it in the display center and you would see the blinker flashing in the insturment panel
The back up lights are beebs and you would see the 3 l.e.d.s flashing in the back. Correct me if im wrong, dont they only work in reverse?
Mines never beebed at me for not putting my seatbelt on? Its got to be the emergency brake

ddavis75007
11-11-10, 02:36 PM
Yes, only in reverse. I thought you said you put it in reverse and then the chimes started. Anything heavy in the passenger seat?

Midnight
11-11-10, 03:06 PM
Well, I played with this a little at lunch. First, my brake warning lamp does work (as do all the others), and I would have noticed it almost for sure. But I don't think it could have been that because it doesn't seem to chime until you drive a little bit. I had put it in reverse, but didn't move an inch.

Oh well guess I'll keep my eyes open for any other weirdness.

Thanks again for the replies.

(edit, nothing in passenger seat)

8323matt
11-11-10, 03:20 PM
Correct, but same thing mine does if i park on a angled driveway i always engage the parking brake so I doesnt torque lock. Also, Sometimes when I accidently bump it, it will start to chime after a little ways of driving (a fast repeadingly binging). I was also thinking if you don't have your automtic lights on it beebs to but you would see that in the display. If i were you i would pull the disengage lever for the parking brake and with your other hand pull up on the foot brake, just a shot to make sure it isnt on.

Hope you figure out what it is

Midnight
11-11-10, 04:06 PM
Hmm, did they add a lever? Mine (2005) is the push on, then push off type, like a ballpoint pen kinda :)

I couldn't tell for sure, but when I was testing the parking brake and got it to chime, it did sound fast. When it chimed on its own (the mystery chime), it didn't really sound fast.

8323matt
11-11-10, 04:19 PM
You are correct midnight I was thinking of my other vehicle HAHA, Anyways Its got to be either lights, parking brake, or door open possibly?, thats the only things it would chime for that duration

SlickCityStan
11-11-10, 06:13 PM
You think I was joking? Yet no one has found any other possible cause! So when everyone has offered their possible cause and none of them can duplicate the original problem. REMEMBER!:mystery::hmm:

EChas3
11-11-10, 08:07 PM
Cosmic Rays?