: Instrument cluster lense cracked

peter.ellis
11-10-10, 12:54 PM
I purchased a used 2006 STS 4 (black). It only has 32,000 km on it and is in beautiful condition. It has one problem which is a cracked lense on the instrument cluster.

I was hoping I could purchase a new lense but the dealer tells me it is not a serviceable part and the entire cluster has to be replaced ($400 for cluster). Has anyone else had this problem. If I could find a used lense can it be easily replaced or does cluster have to go to a repair centre.

I was told that there are people who can repair the lense without removing it from the car. The repair is apparently difficult to see. I am a bit sceptical about this solution.
Any help would be appreciated.

-
cisop

8323matt
11-10-10, 08:12 PM
I would check ebay or google used parts finder there is a site called used-parts.com or something like that on those lines. If you bring it to a place where they can fix windowsheilds they could give a you a definite answer.

peter.ellis
11-10-10, 10:47 PM
I would check ebay or google used parts finder there is a site called used-parts.com or something like that on those lines. If you bring it to a place where they can fix windowsheilds they could give a you a definite answer.

Thanks for your response. I never thought of a windshield repair facility. i will give that a try.

-
cisop

jabe421
12-02-10, 04:41 PM
I have a 2007 ESV that had the same problem. The crack started at the bottom in the middle and started working it's way up. I was told that the lens or cover of the IPC is acrylic and it can be fixed and practically unnoticeable. They use an acrylic "glue" called Weld-On that melts the acrylic and re-bonds it together the plastics shop near me shoed me how it works on some scrap acrylic and basically the they drip the Weld-On on the corner and it leaches down the entire seam, and yes it's almost completely unnoticeable. I was lucky to still be under warranty so mine was replaced for free.

This is from Weld-On:
GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

WELD-ON 3*is a water-thin, non-flammable cement formulated to quickly develop high strength,clear bonds to many thermoplastic substrates, particularly acrylic.The bond is achieved by first softening the surfaces to be joined and then fusing them together with dissipation of the solvent.The initial bond forms within a few minutes and quickly increases in strength.Substantial strength will be obtained within only a few hours. Under certain conditions, especially with high humidity, a white mark on the plastic (commonly
called blushing) may sometimes be encountered. Where a more blush resistant cement and longer open time is required, WELD-ON 4™ is recommended.

Good luck,
Jabe

peter.ellis
12-24-10, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. All the other alternates are very expensive.

When they replaced your lense under warranty did they have to replace the cluster?

thanks
-
pete

ddalder
12-24-10, 11:05 AM
Try www.car-part.com and search under speedometer. There are some listed for sale, even a couple in Canada.