: Re-fill or replace dexcool?

tateos
11-09-10, 04:19 PM
I am having a problem with my Northstar running a little cool lately - that's right - cool! It used to always run at 197 degrees when cruising on the highway - lately, it's been around 188 - one day it was 176. So, obviously, I will change the thermostat, and to do that, I am going to drain the cooling system. The Dex I have in there has been there since I did the HG job, so it is 2 1/2 years old, with 20K miles on it. What do you guys think - should I dump it, change the thermostat, and put in fresh, or just refill it? I know a jug of Dex is only $10-$15, and I think I even have some extra laying around the garage, but it's not about the cost - I just don't like to waste things.

vincentm
11-09-10, 05:00 PM
Doesn't Jake recommend the green coolant?

Submariner409
11-09-10, 06:03 PM
Change the 'stat and top up with the DEX you have - PITA to do multiple fresh water flushes and refill with green goddess - 2 1/2 years is 1/2 the DEX recommended change - don't sweat it.

:lildevil: Deja' vu - I JUST siphoned off 3 quarts of DEX (cold) and refilled with 3 quarts of fresh mix. Every year about this time. What came out looked exactly like what I poured in. A half hour ago. This is ESP..........

Ranger
11-09-10, 06:14 PM
Now that's a switch. My Northstar is running cool. :histeric: At 2 1/2 years your at or close to "my" (recommended) change intervals (2-3 years). If it where me and I had to open the system at this point, I'd drain and refill it. Just my $0.02

tateos
11-09-10, 11:29 PM
Now that's a switch. My Northstar is running cool. :histeric: At 2 1/2 years your at or close to "my" (recommended) change intervals (2-3 years). If it where me and I had to open the system at this point, I'd drain and refill it. Just my $0.02

Thanks Ranger and Sub - kind of what I was inclined to do.

I am curious to see what the problem is with the old thermostat - I'll let you know what I find. Maybe the rubber on top of the thermostat is damaged and so the thermostat does not completely close - I don't mean the rubber gasket that goes around the edge - those of you that have seen a Northstar thermostat know what I'm talking about; also, maybe I could sell it on e-bay as a Lingenfelter alternative? LOL:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=L310106405&Category_Code=P016&Store_Code=LPE

tateos
11-09-10, 11:44 PM
Doesn't Jake recommend the green coolant?

Yeah, but somehow, I feel like the engine was made with Dex in mind, and that's what came in it from the factory, and as long as I don't leave it in longer than recommended, I should be OK. On the other hand, I have personally experienced 2 HG failures on 2 different Northstar engines, so I'm not saying Jake is wrong. I don't think Dex is the only problem, but maybe Dex + Northstar flawed design + inadequate changes + some other things all add up to greatly increased HG problems.

Frankly, I've owned my car for 13 1/2 years - gone 167K+ miles in it - I'm not too sure how much longer it will be around, or even how much longer I want to keep it around. As it is, we've already got one more car than drivers in our house right now (and that's after Dad totaled the 2000 DTS this past Spring). We live in the desert in Phoenix, but recently got a weekend place up in the White Mountains of AZ, where it snows; it might be nice to have the old '97 with FWD for driving on snowy/salted roads this Winter - maybe make a change for something that gets better mileage in the Spring. I'm kind of interested in maybe getting one of those Volts when they come out - that might be cool.

vincentm
11-10-10, 02:11 PM
Yeah, but somehow, I feel like the engine was made with Dex in mind, and that's what came in it from the factory, and as long as I don't leave it in longer than recommended, I should be OK. On the other hand, I have personally experienced 2 HG failures on 2 different Northstar engines, so I'm not saying Jake is wrong. I don't think Dex is the only problem, but maybe Dex + Northstar flawed design + inadequate changes + some other things all add up to greatly increased HG problems.

Frankly, I've owned my car for 13 1/2 years - gone 167K+ miles in it - I'm not too sure how much longer it will be around, or even how much longer I want to keep it around. As it is, we've already got one more car than drivers in our house right now (and that's after Dad totaled the 2000 DTS this past Spring). We live in the desert in Phoenix, but recently got a weekend place up in the White Mountains of AZ, where it snows; it might be nice to have the old '97 with FWD for driving on snowy/salted roads this Winter - maybe make a change for something that gets better mileage in the Spring. I'm kind of interested in maybe getting one of those Volts when they come out - that might be cool.

Yea i lived in Tempe for quite some time, Baseline and Hardy (Went to school at Collin's College and U.A.T on 48th and Baseline), your 97 is a real nice one.

tateos
11-10-10, 02:47 PM
Tempe - yeah - I don't get down that way too often - I live in Fountain Hills - work in Deer Valley area of North Phoenix.

My car is good, but not that nice - no rust, certainly, and it's still shiny, but it's got some scratches and some dings - some wear and tear on the interior too. Everything works, and it's actually very reliable - it just might be nice to get a car that get's significantly better mileage. All three of our cars ('97 ETC, '04 Grand Prix GTP, '05 Lincoln LS6) get the same gas mileage ~22 MPG to and from work (lots of hwy) ~ 25 MPG on a trip. I wouldn't change the car to get just 5-10 MPG more, but that VOLT would get something like double the mileage, and that might be a good thing, especially in the long run.

vincentm
11-10-10, 03:02 PM
Yea im pretty lucky, only thing cosmetically wrong with mine is a small ding on driver's side, my interior is immaculate, paint has some swirls i'll be taking some Meguiar's cut cleaner and a buffer to it when i have the time. First thing's first though, HG's lol

rhslaura
01-25-11, 03:33 PM
My 99 STS is also running cold, 13 months after HG (studs) job. Used to run straight up on the temp gauge all the time on the highway until 2 weeks ago, now only at about 10 o'clock. Does this sound like a thermostat problem, stuck open or partly open? Any and all thoughts would be great. Mileage has dropped big time from around 26 highway to about 20. Heat seems to be OK but I think less than before. car has loads of power, no codes showing!!

Submariner409
01-25-11, 04:04 PM
My 99 STS is also running cold, 13 months after HG (studs) job. Used to run straight up on the temp gauge all the time on the highway until 2 weeks ago, now only at about 10 o'clock. Does this sound like a thermostat problem, stuck open or partly open? Any and all thoughts would be great. Mileage has dropped big time from around 26 highway to about 20. Heat seems to be OK but I think less than before. car has loads of power, no codes showing!!

Take a look at your separate thread "99 STS running cold".

creeker
01-25-11, 05:53 PM
Out of interest I looked up info on chevy. volt, it's a decent looking car and it gets good reviews they start at u.s. $40,280, with reductions of $7500.00 for qualified
buyers, ?. it doesn't look like the usual (mini) hybrid, it looks like a substantional car.

creeker
01-25-11, 06:15 PM
Out of interest I looked up info on chevy. volt, it's a decent looking car and it gets good reviews they start at u.s. $40,280, with reductions of $7500.00 for qualified
buyers, ?. it doesn't look like the usual (mini) hybrid, it looks like a substantional car.

To be more accurate, a substantial car, spelling correction.

tateos
01-25-11, 09:49 PM
I looked at a Fusion Hybrid too - back when they had the cash for clunkers - that is a very substantial car also. I am interested in the Volt, because I have $3,500 of GM Mastercard rebate accumulated that I can use to reduce the final cost down to about $30K

creeker
01-25-11, 10:35 PM
I looked at a Fusion Hybrid too - back when they had the cash for clunkers - that is a very substantial car also. I am interested in the Volt, because I have $3,500 of GM Mastercard rebate accumulated that I can use to reduce the final cost down to about $30K

Have you looked into the $7500.00 rebate?.

ThumperPup
01-26-11, 04:33 PM

What card do you have do you have the Flex card Gold Platinum or New World card ?

i used to work for GMRP the GM reward Program
for 2 years and we screwed everyone every chance i mean they screwed everyone
You could earn as much as you want but you can only redeem up to a surten amount depending on the vehicle you choose some you cant even use it on at all
then there where the other cards some that could be only earn 500 dollars a year on and you could use it all tords a car bu the max you could earn was 2500 then after that they start doping per year

also if you have a friends and family GM employee discount you could only use that combined with the GM Flex card
not any other cards
also some rebates you cant combine with the rewards card

so just curious witch card do you have make sure that you dont go in and get pissed of and all

tateos
01-26-11, 08:10 PM
I have the original GM Mastercard - 5% rebate with $500 per year max, 7 years max, so $3,500 off any GM car. It's issued by HSBC and says WORLD on it. At one time, it was a Gold Mastercard, so I got up to $1,000 a year - they stopped that a long time ago. I have purchased 3 cars using GM Mastercard rebates - never a problem yet - last time was in 12/03 - $3,500 off a 2004 Grand Prix GTP. That car listed for $31K+ - we ended up paying $20,700 after all rebates. Great car too - we still have it.

ThumperPup
01-26-11, 10:12 PM
I have the original GM Mastercard - 5% rebate with $500 per year max, 7 years max, so $3,500 off any GM car. It's issued by HSBC and says WORLD on it. At one time, it was a Gold Mastercard, so I got up to $1,000 a year - they stopped that a long time ago. I have purchased 3 cars using GM Mastercard rebates - never a problem yet - last time was in 12/03 - $3,500 off a 2004 Grand Prix GTP. That car listed for $31K+ - we ended up paying $20,700 after all rebates. Great car too - we still have it.

Awesome that is actualy the one card i like best next to the Flex Card wich is actualy the new freinds and Family card not sure why they call it Flex
that is what i still have i am allowed to ear as much as i want but i can only redeem a specific amount per vehicle but what ever i dont redeem on a vehicle i can also cash in for cash vouchers in the amount of 200 each i got it because i saw it was a nice card to use for cash back when working and all its about to expire next year im not planning on renewing

the other thing is ones a year they usualy send out soemthing saying we will top you of to a total of iethere 4,000 5,000 or 6,000 if you have a amoutn alred close to one of those and then usualy in Janaury they run a bonuse where you can use all of your points no matter wich card you have

tateos
01-28-11, 11:46 PM
Yeah - I get those round up offers 1-2X a year too - haven't had the opportunity to take advantage - never came at an apt time.

Submariner409
01-29-11, 10:27 AM
Credit cards.........In 10/08 I picked up a Citi/Shell MasterCard. For the first 12 months it gave a 10% (yes, 10%) discount on Shell fuels, then in 10/09 it dropped to 5% - but that's still nothing to sneeze at. At $3 + a gallon for 87 octane up and down most of the East Coast, 15 cents a gallon "discount" is quite a bit. Of course Citi stirred the pot and I don't get the rebate monthly any more - only when the total rebate exceeds $25, then it just comes off the next monthly statement.

ThumperPup
01-29-11, 10:49 AM
iv switched a few of my cards latly i have so many cards that you cant count them on 2 hands and 2 feet lol
3 of my cards are still the first ones iv ever had that dad cosighned for one when i was 16 the other 2 i got when i was 18
the rest i have had when then send me uneblivable offers
and you'd be surprised i have applied for credit limit increases threw Chase and Cap one and they denie my increase but then they send me a offer for
a second card with the same amount of credit i have so i had 15k on one cap one then i wanted a increase just 4000 to fix the caddy they send me one a denial letter then a week latter i got a card in the mail said please activate and all that info had a 15k limit again i would have activated it but i didn't want to be responsible for another 15k right now and it wasnt even a rewards card if it was i might have considered it

im just staying loose with the cards i have 7 of them actualy expire in the next 12 months and i wont be renewing them
its bad to show on your credit history that you closed an account better to show then it expired

so im happy i used to have a shell card that i shared with my dad but he closed that account that was when i was 19 he said i was drivng all over spending like 400 a month on gas another 200 a month on food why not i drive by a shell see a subway in there i go in lol

but right now im happy with my Amex only because i have the charge card not the credit card so anything i spend has to be paid back with in 60 days at least on the one i have
then i have the Chase Marriott rewards thats good i get 10 points for every dollar because im a platinum
i have the Chase Continental card im about to drop it 2 reason i hardly ever fly and they are taking away the President club for free with the card membership so the hell with that
and so many more to list
dont even wana get into it lol but cant wait till December this year when 7 of those expire man

but even thought i have no work right now i still wana do everyign i can to keep my creidt at the 800.s where it is right now
back when you used to be able to have ppl shadow your credit to help you out dad would do that so thats why its so high right now
only reason i didnt go out and buy a brand new cadillac i wanted an 09 sts when all these problems started with the car in April with the HG's
i was out there had 10k cash to put down was gona put another 5k on the credit card so 15k down on a 45k car
my credit was not the problem was perfect they said it was like a brick i could drop it and buy 2 of every car they had on the lot no questions
aslong as i could show proofe of income
and that i didnt have
i got laid of back in Feb last year was making 80k a year plus bonuses working for GMRP
now im about to file bankruptcy with all this damm debt im in i dont wana dad offered to bail me out but then ill have him on my tail for the next 60 years and trust me he may be 66 already but if it means he can lean on me he will find a way to live another 60 lol

i moved back home rented my house out in Mi just to be able to keep the bank from taking it
and im only getting 1100 a month rent the morgage and taxes come to 1250 a month so im taking another 150 out of my pocket i know but best i could do and was desprate

i think the reason they always send me credit cards when i was younger was they looked at the area i lived the checked dads credit also saw what he made and said hey why not this will be good he will pay his sons credit its gona work out thats why they always send me these dam cards lol

tateos
01-31-11, 06:15 PM
Credit cards.........In 10/08 I picked up a Citi/Shell MasterCard. For the first 12 months it gave a 10% (yes, 10%) discount on Shell fuels, then in 10/09 it dropped to 5% - but that's still nothing to sneeze at. At $3 + a gallon for 87 octane up and down most of the East Coast, 15 cents a gallon "discount" is quite a bit. Of course Citi stirred the pot and I don't get the rebate monthly any more - only when the total rebate exceeds $25, then it just comes off the next monthly statement.

Yeah - I have one of those too, Sub, and I think you have to use it or lose it the month that the rebate is available - correct me if I'm wrong

Submariner409
01-31-11, 08:08 PM
Yeah - I have one of those too, Sub, and I think you have to use it or lose it the month that the rebate is available - correct me if I'm wrong

Hmmmmmm.................. That's a new one, but since we each have a Shell/Citi card and drive both the car and truck equally or alternately, the "use it or lose it" idea has never come up. Heck - We even know where every Shell station is between here, Florida, Maine, and West Virginia ! Nary a problem. On my (our) cards the rebate is cumulative and carries over month-to-month.

Around here Thursdays is $.05 off on all Shell, so both vehicles get filled on Thursdays - at today's prices, using the card, that comes to 20 cents a gallon off !

(I'm so tight I squeak - it's the Scot in me...........)

Ranger
01-31-11, 11:58 PM
Around here Thursdays is $.05 off on all Shell, so both vehicles get filled on Thursdays - at today's prices, using the card, that comes to 20 cents a gallon off !

(I'm so tight I squeak - it's the Scot in me...........)

That's not tight, that's smart.

tateos
02-01-11, 02:29 PM
OK - you piqued my interest, Sub, so I looked into it, and here are the rules - 5% on Shell gas - .5% on everything else - maximum of $20 rebate earned per month - redeemable only in $25 increments, only redeemable on Shell gas. Rebates expire in 12 months (I was wrong on that).

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/shell_cards/mastercard/

ThumperPup
02-02-11, 12:28 PM
damm im happy i dont have that shell anymore that would upset me max of 20 dollars per month but you have to redeem in 25 increments they will always be ahead of you nope never gona thinka bout going back not at that
thats what like max of 240 a year ?

i can earn 3% back on my debit card purchases and a max of 500 a year just using my chase debit card lol better deal than that i think

Submariner409
02-02-11, 05:31 PM
Pup, You missed the Shell Card point of the whole discussion........and I think that 5% off a gallon of gas is a bit more that 3% off - but if you use the debit card for ANY brand of gas, then yes, 3% is better than nothing.

ThumperPup
02-02-11, 09:56 PM
sorry maybe i did miss the point ijust know tha ti saw the cap of 20 a month thats 240 a year
with my debit card i can push 500 a year at 3 percent i know its less then 5% but for a 25 dollar a year enrolment fee and i get it on all gas brands but i really only go to a few stations i knwo my routs and what gas is where that i like and yes some are shell most are exxon and then when ever i see E-Free fuel wich is rear but still sometimes run into it
but i just think that is sad they put a 20 dollar a cap month on what you can earn
thats like 400 dollars a month in gas then you get your 20 dollars back for your 5%
i guess when you maybe only use 400 a month in gas thats ok
me im up around 550 a month in gas sometimes more

tateos
02-02-11, 10:19 PM
That's a pantload of gas, Pup - I'm not over $200/month usually. My primary gas source is Costco - $2.94 today for unleaded regular in the Phoenix area. Then I use my Costco Amex and get another 2% off that. If I'm not in the area of a Costco, then Shell is my second choice. I actually feel like the Shell unleaded seems to make my cars run a tiny bit better - peppier maybe - probably in my mind.

ThumperPup
02-03-11, 01:20 AM
That's a pantload of gas, Pup - I'm not over $200/month usually. My primary gas source is Costco - $2.94 today for unleaded regular in the Phoenix area. Then I use my Costco Amex and get another 2% off that. If I'm not in the area of a Costco, then Shell is my second choice. I actually feel like the Shell unleaded seems to make my cars run a tiny bit better - peppier maybe - probably in my mind.

avg of 3k driver per month sometimes less sometimes more but fo the past 3 years never less then 2500 a month at the least

if you just take calculate and say at today's gas prices 3k miles say its all highway and all avg 26mpg wich well comes out to like 300 dollars or 320 or something like that
well only about 70% of that driving is on Highway set on CC
the rest is city driving avg of 20mpg or so depending on how much medal to the peddle im laying down
so then you drop todays gas rates at like say 19 and make up just 20mpg maybe 21mpg at how many gallons it would take to hit up another 25% of the 3k per month and there your at that

all my friends live far away
my closest friend as in distance close is in Detroit where talking 162 mile each way trip from me
i visit her 2 or 3 times a month on AVG
most my friends are around 190 miles away so i visit with them a few times a month they come to me a few times a month we hang out

every Sunday brunch if im in town with parents well brunch spot is 32 miles from my house
brother lies 30 miles other side of town over to him 2 times a week at least

miles add up way up

id say most miles i ever drove in one year was 1996 was a raver in highschool left school on friday erly when school got out had close in car extra bag packed picked up friends
and took of for where ever the best party was be back in town in time to be late for home room monday morning

sometimes partys where in town
sometimes partys where 2000 miles away with an after party 200 miles from the party itself

so most i think i ever drove in 1 year i think it was 96
in my Lincoln Continental 1995 model i had 70k in that year i think
dad leases the lincoln new for himself gave it to me a year latter with 18k on it and well turned it in dad ended up buying it to get out of the extra mile charge lol

tateos
02-04-11, 09:26 PM
That's a lot of driving. I go about 300 miles a week to and from work - don't drive too much on weekends - sometimes go up to Las Vegas - that's ~600 miles round trip. My wife drives mostly just around town - maybe 4,000 miles/year. We just got ourselves a weekend place in the AZ mountains this past Fall - it's about 300 miles round trip. Kind of cold to go up there in the Winter, so we've been going 1X a month or so to check up on the place; starting in the Spring, we will go even more often - probably most every weekend - in the Summer, when it's 110 degrees or more here in Phoenix. So, anyway, we will start putting some more miles on the cars, and yes, burning some more gas!